Send Your Song File To Be Heard Around The World

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John McGlothlin

Post by John McGlothlin »

I listened to Stardust by Al Marcus and man you did a great job on that one, love that fantastic chord work. Bill Stafford that is absolutely the very best version of that song "Thats All That Matters" I have ever heard...you really know your way around that 14 string guitar. Later on today Charles shoud have my song posted for March, I'm a little bit Scottish Irish and I did a little tune called "Sailor's Hornpipe" on the E9th tuning.
Bill Stafford

"Thats All That Matters"

Post by Bill Stafford »

Thanks so much John. Enjoy your playing too. Charles deserves many accolades for this site. I had the best session players at Breeden's studio for that session and the bass session player was already 15 years OLD(?). Every song on this cd was a take on the very first "practice" set after the charts were passed out and they all talked it over. Kept me alert the whole time too. So good to play with musicians of that calibre.
Bill Stafford
John McGlothlin

Charles has posted my version of "Sailor's Hornpipe". It was a few months ago that I heard someone playing this tune on steel radio and it gave me an idea to give it a try but of course I don't sound no where near as good as they did but its a good excersise project with the speed pickin style.
Chuck Christensen

Thanks for what you doing Tilley!

Post by Chuck Christensen »

Hi TILLEY,I would just say thanks to you for all the work you're doing on this site.I personally enjoy listening to all the steel tunes.I don't know if I'm in the right spot on the site to send this, I hope you get it, thanks again. chuck
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

John McGlothlin-Nice clean picking on that "Sailer's Hornpipe".Thanks for the nice comment on my old standard "Stardust".

Roy Ayres-Great playing on the old standard "Crazy". Nice jazzy version.

Eric Corgey-Nice work on that E9th song "Freee and Easy".

Vern Hester-Nice smooth playing on that "I can't help it". Another great old country tune.

Chuck Christensen-I just heard your "Blue Hawaii". Made me feel like just back in the Islands.I like your non-pedal E6 tuning with the D on the 7th string for a nice E7th strum.

I think I have heard most of the older songs and trying to keep up with the new contributions. Thanks again, Tilley, for having this site. It's really great to hear all the guys different styles of playing....al:) 8) 8)
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Al,

I just listened again to your rendition of "Unforgettable" and really enjoyed it. I wish I knew half of the chords and voicing that you play. Alvino would be proud of you -- and probably was.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Roy-Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate it coming from my peers. You were in on the early years too. We must be the oldest living steel players on the Forum.
As you know, Alvino Rey was my Mentor back in those days. He really helped me get started in Modern Steel playing, before WWII. I tended then to go the pop and jazz chordstyle way.
Way back then, there was no one but a few Hawaiian players to hear on the Radio and Jerry Byrd was not on the commercial scene yet. ...ah yes, memories of all those happy years....al.:):) :D :D
8) 8)

Bill Stafford

New song of mine

Post by Bill Stafford »

Charlie, thanks so much for all you are doing for our wonderful steel guitar world. I really appreciate this opportunity to listen and learn from everyone's music here. Thanks for inserting my efforts too.
Bill Stafford
Vernon Hester

Another version "Sweet Memories"

Post by Vernon Hester »

Tilley,
Has posted my new version of "Sweet Memories".
Start In E 9th neck, end with C 6th Tuning.
Thanks Charles
Vernon Hester

http://www.etsga.org/steelguitarplayers.htm
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Duane Becker-Nice job on that great western Swing classic on C6. "Midnight in old Amarillo...al. 8)

Vern Hester-Nice playing on that old country classic "Sweet Memories", nice switch to C6 on the end.Sounded real big with all that Reverb...al.:)

Vernon Hester

Good music

Post by Vernon Hester »

Been listening to the various Players this morning.
Boy, some good music on this site,
Charles Tilley,Al Marcus, Bill Stafford,Chuck Lettes Tony Prior,Joe Smith have some beautiful tunes up now.
Lars,
Of Norway blows me away whith his beautiful tone and excution. What make of guitar are you using???
Vernon Hester
Eric Corgey

Post by Eric Corgey »

Al,

Thanks and I'm glad you liked it.
John McGlothlin

I just listened to your version of Sweet Memories Vernon Hester and I love the sound you are getting, its perfect sustain and reverb. I have tried getting a good sustain with my settings on my reverb unit but I keep sounding dull. All of you fine steel players are doing a fabulous job on your work and I say...keep up the great work.
Vernon Hester

Sweet Memories

Post by Vernon Hester »

Thanks Al, John.
Looking arond for another guitar,Ole Blue is 33 now.
Think I will get one with metal necks and see how i like it???.
Vernon Hester
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Vernon-You better keep your MSA . You sound great on it.....al.:)

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I have been listening to a lot of good players on Charles Tilley's Website, trying to catch up.
Elizabeth West's "I'll Try", Mike Archer's "It is no Secret"
SGHOF's Roy Ayres's "When you Say nothing at All",Guido Hausmann's "LongHorn",Bob McCormick with his Original tune "Will",
David Seddon's "Astra",Gary Stanulson's "Big Sky Waltz,Bruce Snow"s "Sheltered in the Arms of God",
Bill Stafford from his CD "Unforgettable", good backup and and nice mix.,
Charles Tilley's nice tone on his "You're the best thing to ever happen to me", and Howard Tate's beautiful "Beyond the Sunset". and
Jim Baron and David Wright's Great Swingin C6 version,
of that old classic "Take These Chains From My Heart".
All very good professional sounding recordings with good backups with so many different styles.
Thanks to Tilley for putting these on for us every month. This is a great feature on the Forum for Steel Guitar.....al.:) :D 8)

Vernon Hester

Sweet Memories

Post by Vernon Hester »

Al,
Thanks for the nice comments.I found me a guitar Friday and it will be shipped Monday.I will keep the MSA, Rickenbacker and the new secret one set up in my music room.Will post some tunes with the new one when it gets here and I get it set up.
Ole man and his toys!!
Vernon Hester
Mike Archer

thanks Al...

Post by Mike Archer »

thanks Al im glad you liked my tune

I hope to do some new ones soon!!

Mike :D
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Al,

I believe that all of us you have complimented in your above post would agree that none of us can compete with the sophisticated chords and voicing you play with such ease in your performances. I know you were a friend and protege of the great Alvino Rey, and it certainly shows. You are a marvelous steel guitarist.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Mike Archer

Roy is correct

Post by Mike Archer »

Roy you are so right!!

ill second that Mike :D
Gary Stenulson

Post by Gary Stenulson »

Hi Al,

Thanks for the nice comment and I hope to put on another in the very near future...

And thanks Charles for having this site...None better around...

Gary
Charles Tilley

Thanks Al

Post by Charles Tilley »

Al, I appreciate the nice comment on the tone of "You're the Best Thing". I recorded that in my home using my 2005 GFI D-10. I really do like to play that song. It has some nice things you can do with it.

Thanks to all you guys who are a part of what I do on my site. It is my pleasure to be the first to hear all your songs you send to me to be placed on the web site.
Charles Tilley ,
Princeton, Texas
John McGlothlin

Charles Tilley has posted my new song for April, its the famous tune that Jerry Byrd did called "Steelin The Blues".of course my version ain't too famous lol :lol: Thank you Charles Tilley for everything you are doing for steel guitar players all around the world, it is very much appreciated by all.
Al Marcus

My April song,"Somewhere over the Rainbo"

Post by Al Marcus »

Charles Posted my new song for April on 4-4-09. So close to Easter that It reminded me of my Mom , the movie came out around Easter with this song that Judy Garland Sang. I got teared up when I played it,She passed away so young at age 42, in 1942.
"Somewhere over the Rainbo" is one of my favorites.

Tilley's New Site looks good, may be easier to check out all the songs.I know he worked hard to get it all done. thanks Tilley....
I heard the only 2 songs posted yet for April. Come on guys lets hear your new recordings.
Ray Leroux 4-6-9 "I love you so much it hurts me" Very well done on that E9th, really nice. I also heard John McGlothlin's "Steeling the Blues" A great old Jerry Byrd tune and John plays it very well too. He has his own style on it and I liked it....al.:) :D :D

Bill Stafford

Nic du Toit

Post by Bill Stafford »

Really have to compliment Nic du Toit on his playing. Such a great touch and technique on his "The Closet Thing". Pretty music here. I know Jerry Byrd would be proud and happy to listen to this fine player. Thanks Nic.
Bill Stafford