1962 Blonde Bassman 2x12 cab

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Orlando Colom

1962 Blonde Bassman 2x12 cab

Post by Orlando Colom »

Please delete.
Last edited by Orlando Colom on 3 Mar 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Bump for a beautiful and rare cab.... :)
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Hi,
What does that little tag on the grille cloth say?

Are the grille clith and handle original?
Did someone move the cab hold-down holes towards the outside and plug the original holes? (probably did this to fit a showman size head on the cab.

Thanks.
Orlando Colom

Post by Orlando Colom »

Mike
The tag said Altec, but is no longer there. I removed it with no visible signs of it being there.The cab is not plugged I believe the holes are factory and the cab can handle a bassman or showman head. All parts original other than the feet. Its not plugs in the head, they are matching aluminum bolts, and seem to be the same material and look as the Fender badge.
Its a great great cab.
Thanks.
Orlando
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

Orlando, just an observation but... methinks your Fender "2x12" may have originally been a "1x12" Tone-ring cabinet, which is even more rare than a '62 2x12". The reasons I say this are: the acoustic insulation is original but only installed in ported cabinets. The 2x12 cabs were all "sealed" with no insulation. Also, the supports on the rear panel are a dead giveaway for the tone-ring cab.
So, I suspect someone switched out the 1x12 TR baffle for the 2x12 baffle.
Just thought you might want to know... ;-)
Orlando Colom

Post by Orlando Colom »

Rick
I appreciate the info, as I have had this a very long time, and bought it like this. Im not expert,I have showed the cab to a few vintage dealers over the years.They all felt it was a 2x12 cab, thus my comments. You may be 100% correct. I do know its a late 61 early, 62 cab though.
Thanks for the help.
Orlando
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

I sent a link to this to a serious Fender guy when the ad first appeared.... His response.

"Incredible, rare as can be. Look at the back; no screws down the middle like any other 2x12. Look at the corresponding piece of wood protruding back from the inside of the front baffle; short, just enough to give the speakers some separation. This was built as a 1x12 with the speaker-in-a-can thing. First issue two piece Bassman. This cab is smaller in size than all later Bassman/Bandmaster cabs. When somebody ordered this insanely expensive Altec or JBL option they just made a custom 2x12 front and slapped it in the then stock 1x12 box. I've only ever seen these with JBLs. I've got one"
Orlando Colom

Post by Orlando Colom »

Mike, Thanks for the input. I have always known it was rare, and have always felt it was a special order in a way, as the contruction is dead on fender. No extra work done to it.Its sad i have to sell it, but I need to pay bills.So it must go.
Im surprissed though its still around, as its a killer cab.
Again, Thanks.
Orlando
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

Orlando, just curious... does it measure 30" x 20" ?
I've got a collector here in town taking a look at it today.
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Orlando,

My wife has a new Camac 3/4 pedal harp arriving this week.... which means that we have to lay out $20,000.00..... otherwise that bassman cab wouldn't have lasted a day.
Orlando Colom

Post by Orlando Colom »

Mike. Thats an expensive instrument there.Harps are gorgeous sounding but a bear to tune, I bet.
As for the cab It is 30x20. I may just have to loaded it back up and keep it, if it doesnt go in the next day or two.. Its too nice and irreplaceable in a way.
Orlando Colom

Post by Orlando Colom »

Price drop to 650.00 shipped. It does not get any better then this cab.
Orlando Colom

Post by Orlando Colom »

Please delete this Item.
Thanks.
Orlando