PA systems

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Beller-McKenna

PA systems

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Hi all,

my smaller band is looking to buy a PA and I think it's fair to say we don't really know what we need or what we're looking for. I'm hoping to get some sage advice from all of you.

We are four pieces (pedal steel/dobro; electric arch top guitar; upright bass; brush snare) with four vocals. All of the instruments would go through individual amps perhaps the dobro could go through the board (via baggs di preamp). We would be looking primarily at small rooms, with the possibility of occasionally playing a small outdoor party etc.

We don't want to spend for capacity we'll likely never need, and we don’t gig enough to pay for the one or two times we might need more (we'll hire out if it's such a big gig). Just looking for a system that can deliver the vocals and is easy to use.

Any thoughts on "musts" and/or "must nots"? Minimum power considerations? Powered vs. unpowered mixer; powered vs. unpowered speakers? etc.

All help welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
Durham, NH
dbmCk mUSIC
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Dan, my band uses the newer Peavey plastic speakers, very light and sound great. I also have SP2's(I think) with the Scorpians for medium duty stuff, or oudoors. We use XR600's powered mixers, any of the Peavey mixers with DDT compression are great,simple,reliable PAs. Get some stands and mikes and you are set . There is better stuff I'm sure, and heavier stuff, but I am totally confident in my PV stuff. JP
Carter,PV,Fender
Kevin Lange

Post by Kevin Lange »

I have been using a Mackie 808M on my smaller jobs for the last six years. We use it 3 - 4 times a month. It's self contained, lightweight and I think it sounds great. I think Mackie has updated it, but mine has two amps in it. 600 watts each at 2 ohms. I use one for monitors, the other for mains. I run the monitor side at 2 ohms regularly without any problems. It has 2 built in 9 band graphic EQs and built in digital FX. I use it with a pair of Community 15/Horn cabinets on stands. I have been able to cover 100 - 150 seat rooms with a dance floor real well.

I also have a pair of powered Acoustic 15/Horn cabinets that I bought as an affordable alternitive to the powered Mackies. I think the Acoustics sound great. The one drawback to them, and it may be an issue with other powered speakers as well, is if the amp in them goes down, you can't use the speakers separately.

Good luck, it's always fun gettin' new stuff.

Kevin
Jim Kennedy

Post by Jim Kennedy »

I have used Yamaha equipment for years, guitars, guitar amps, keyboards and pa equipment. The stuff is almost bullet proof.

For PA I am currently using an EMX88s that I bought about 7 years ago. IT is 350 watts per side stero, and can be run on a load as little as 2 ohms. It has eight channels, built in eq, and all the digital effects you need. It can be run stero, or it can be split to run mains and monitors, each with their own seprate controls and eq. The thing weighs about 20 pounds, and is built into what amounts to a road case without a front cover. I paid $598 at guitar center.

Yamaha has a whole series of these grab and go PA heads that range from 100 to 400 watts a side. They sell a matched set of speakers and head in the $400--$600 dollar range that looks pretty good.

The thing to watch out for is power rating. Yamaha rates most of their heads into an 8 ohm load. If it's not 8 ohms it will clearly say that in the add. There are similar heads out there that are cheaper, but most are rated into a 4 ohm load. That allows the use of cheaper parts in the output section.

Check musicians frind or the other on line stores to get an idea of what's available. Also watch for used Yamaha stuff. I've seen my used model selling for about two thirds of what I paid for it new on craigs list. Hope this helps.
ShoBud Pro 1, 75 Tele, 85 Yamaha SA 2000, Fender Cybertwin,
John Gould

PA Gear

Post by John Gould »

I have to agree on the bang for the buck on the Peavey PR series speakers. I would go with the PR15 speakers and the Soundcraft GIGRAC 1000 it's got plenty of power and can be rack mounted if you want. It also has good quality effects built in.
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Dan, I bought a 12 channel Carvin. It's small, light and has 1000 watts of power. It has three amps in it two for the mains( Stereo or bridged) and one for the Monitors. It will handle a four sp2's with ease. I am totally impressed with it.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
William Matthews

Post by William Matthews »

If you want a REALLY nice system, look into Meyer Sound.. John Meyer makes a heck of a nice system, I love the monitors I have.. www.meyersound.com
John Gould

Carvin

Post by John Gould »

I have also had good luck with the Carvin PA products.
Along with the Soundcraft GIGRAC I have a Carvin XP880 it sounds great and has good effects in it as well. Both of these units have enough power to be punchy and don't seem to over compress the output. Like some of the self powered mixers out on the market. Along with the PR15 speakers for a bigger venue I add a couple of the Cerwin Vega Subs that have built in crossovers that are front loaded 15's to get more low end punch.
It's still not to much to move and not super expensive.
Elite also makes some great sounding small self powered speakers I have a pair of E10P and a pair of the LS200p Powered subs. I have used them outside with a full band a covered a pretty good area. The Elite stuff is pretty bullet proof.
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Thanks for all the good info guys!

Dan