MSA owners....past and present!

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bosse Engzell

Post by Bosse Engzell »

I was plkaying a MSA D10 Classic, #C3552 for over 20 year. Now I play a MSA SD10 Vintage XL. Love them.
Bosse in Sweden
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

To my knowledge at this time, everyone who has taken part in our search for MSA family members has received a response from me to not only express our appreciation of their participation, but to also inform them of our future intentions.

Hal Higgins....Since your email address is not available I could not contact you, so if you would, I would appreciate your contacting me personally as so very many are doing.

If I may, I would like to encourage each of you to continue spreading the word we are diligently searching for MSA family members, which includes those who owned an MSA in the past as well as those who are now proud owners.
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

MSA Millennium M2 D-10. An awsome guitar. I liked it right out of the box and get many compliments every time I use it on stage. The Wallace True-Tone 17.5K pick-ups worked out best for me.
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

I had a double 10 classic rosewood formica
8+4. now have a U12 7+5 Msa, still have pictures of Double 10. steveb carter D10 8+5.
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

I bought a Classic SS D-10 a while ago.
Put a pair of True-Tones on it last week.
This is my first pro model steel and i like it.

Uffe
Jody Cameron

Post by Jody Cameron »

I've had two different MSA's over the years...a black laquer D-10, and a E9/B6 U12.
Both great guitars, IMO.

JC
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Hmmm, ummm, MSAs...
Think there's a few around here. Let's see how about:

1.A Classic that was a D10 converted to an SD10, SN2C1024.
2.Another Classic that was a D12 converted to a SD12, SN2C956.
3.Also have a SS SD10 from the factory SN1C6551.
4.An old D12 with the crossbar changers SN unknown.
5.Finally, a Marlin Blue SD10 Millennium SN 0009.

Yup, got a few. Have a 'Bud that was once a nice one until the fire. Still kept the old Darling. It put my three kids through college. Also have one of those "bad tone" Emmons hanging around, and am rebuilding a Marlen S12. (Not as nice as my friend Ricky Davis can, but)

I just went over all the names here on this topic and I didn't see Jim Molberg listed, but I know he likes MSA's because you can go to this website and you can see him seated behind one in the picture on the top left of the homepage:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~online/ganz/jimmolberg.html

No flames Jim, just pulling your leg a little. Image Image

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

I owned a 1974 Black Mica D-10 Classic, built like a tank and very dependable!
Jack Shults

Post by Jack Shults »

I bought my first MSA in 1973 and have played them ever since.

I currently own two U-12s and plan to keep them forever.

------------------
Jack Shults
MSA U-12
Evans Amps
Stereo Steel
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Started on a student model MSA 3&1 it got stolen one night but I still use my favourite MSA bar...Just surfed over to the New MSA site very impressive job done there,beautiful guitars.....good luck, Reece...... Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dale Bessant on 22 October 2003 at 04:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

LEONARD T. ZINN HAS OWNED AND PLAYED AN MSA FOR A LONG TIME AND IS STILL VERY PROUD OF IT. THANKS, REESE<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Evelyn Whitney on 22 October 2003 at 07:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

Reese...
I think my new MSA D10 classic was a 1970 model. Black Mica with 8/2 and I later added 2 more knee levers that I bought from you. I played that guitar for 25 years, and it is still in use today.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Jeff A. Smith

Post by Jeff A. Smith »

Although I just bought an Emmons LeGrande II D-10 a couple of weeks ago and love it, I still have my '76 lacquer S-10 MSA Classic. I got the MSA in Feb. of '01, and it was my first steel. I intend to change the knee levers on the MSA so that it has the same basic setup as the Emmons' E9 neck, and then hang onto it indefinitely.

I can imagine the MSA still playing a very useful role for me.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I bought a new classic S-10, white in color around 1978 at the same time my Uncle Vern Eide bought the brown woodgrain D-10.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

When I lost everything in a club fire during the mid '70s; Reece got me back on my feet again with a new Black D-12 MSA. I played it until the late '90s and the only thing that ever broke on it were the third strings on E9th.

Regards, Paul Image
Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Reece,
I doubt if I can remember all of the MSA's and the different models that I've owned and played. I know it all started in about '62 or '63 when I saw Burt Revira playing one with Hank Thompson at a NCO club in Shrevport. I made a phone call and talked with Morrell, drove over to Oak Cliff and found y'all in a mostly dirt floor room behind a music store (I think Don Berry's).
The guitar was a red formica D-10 trimed with white plastic strips and had Danny Shields pick ups in it. The white plastic was not glued on yet and Morrell gave me a tube of yellow glue to finish that with. The under carriage was something we would later laugh about a lot,,,,it was clothes line cable and a bunch of pulleys and wire hooks and no telling what else,,,,but it worked.
You know the rest of the story,,,it was a lot of fun through all those years. A lot of "learning" from both joy and dissappointment, successes and failures for all of us. Looking back,,,,if ever there was a period of "time to be treasured", that was one of those times for me.
Just as a matter of information, I liked all the guitars, but my all time favorite MSA was the Classic SS.
I get to work on a lot of MSA's in my shop (I'm redoing the set up on a black lacquer D-10 Classic as I write this) and it never ceases to amaze me,,,,the durability of those old guitars.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

*<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 28 October 2003 at 07:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Carriger

Post by Gary Carriger »

Reece,
Bought a D10 Classic in 1973 - and played until spring of this year. Still have it.
Gary
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Notwithstanding I got started on a borrowed maverick, I've always played MSA exclusively. I have 2 U-12s. One maple/lacquer and one laminate/mica. I prefer the maple/lacuer, but they are both fine guitars.

If I were to buy a new guitar, it would be a Millenium, but the 2 that I have are such excellent instruments, I really have no need for another.

Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

I purchased my 1st MSA Guitar (D-10 8 x 3 )in the mid-60's, I think they were on Tyler St. in Oak Cliff right across the street from Watkin's Music, The guitar body was made of perduke and the necks were Maple. It did not have the metal neck area for the keys but the maple was drilled and filed to accomodate the tuning keys. It was an All pull guitar and it worked pretty darn good. Many years ago I was going to refinish that guitar and one of the body parts got misplaced so I still have most of the guitar.
Then in the mid-70's I bought another MSA (This time a D-12 10x8)The guitar was white, beautiful to look at and nice to play. I used that guitar for many years, The one day I sold it and now I wish I knew where it was. I currently play a Sierra Session D-10 9 x 9, I am very happy with that guitar But if I were to look for another I would sure check out MSA. Best wishes to Reece and ALL the staff at MSA.
Buddie Hrabal <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Buddie Hrabal on 28 October 2003 at 01:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I am now playing my second MSA Millennium. Though I never owned the old MSA I had many opportunities to play Curly Chalker's, those were great guitars. I am also very honored to be part of the team bulding the new MSA. Thanks Reece for your many years of devotion to producing a quality PSG.

Johnny
Bud Bryant

Post by Bud Bryant »

My first pedal guitar was a MSA D-10 bought
in 1974. That day I entered into the UNKNOWN. What a trip. Since then I have
bought and sold 40 MSA's. What a Blessing.
Thanks Reece.
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

We at MSA most sincerely appreciate the overwhelming reply from hundreds of MSA players all over the world both past and present, who responded to our request for each one to identify themselves.

The response was very gratifying and appreciated, however we know there are still thousands of MSA owners who have obviously not got the word of our search as yet.

As my email to you stated, MSA considers each of you to be part of the "MSA family".

If you wrote and did not receive a response, be assured, I never received it, and I respectfully ask that you write me again at reece@msapedalsteels.com.

Thank those of you again who have participated!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Reece Anderson on 12 November 2003 at 02:34 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Reece Anderson on 12 November 2003 at 06:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Allen Cain

Post by Allen Cain »

My second Guitar was a MSA Classic D10 not sure of the year. About 86 87 some where in there. Great guitar ,just too darn heavy.Sold it Two years ago to a fellow in Arkansas.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Hi, Reece . My first steel was a M.S.A. single neck , and it did a good job . thanks . Gary.