E9th Chord Chart & Tip Sheet

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Murray Greene

pdf file

Post by Murray Greene »

Patricia
Please send me your pdf file
email address deleted by moderator
Thanks
b0b

Post by b0b »

Again, please don't broadcast your email address in a public post. Send it to Patricia via a PM or email.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Edgar Scudder

Chord Chart

Post by Edgar Scudder »

I would appreciate receiving a copy of your fine chord chart. Thanks very much.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Patricia,
Thank you so much for sending me a copy of your E9 chord sheet. You do tremendous work. With your chart I can now tell people with authority what chord I am trying to play.
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Patricia Warnock

Post by Patricia Warnock »

What an amazing experience sharing my chart has been for me! I even got the chance to pass a few out at the SWSGA Phoenix show last weekend. And, as always, was happy to do so. I truly hope this chart has offered something to everyone who has received it.

If this post is new to you and you would like the chart send me an email request. I'll get the files to you.

Looking forward to the Dallas show in March! Hope to meet some of you there.

Patricia
Jody Suchard

E9 chart

Post by Jody Suchard »

Hi Patricia Jody Suchard here , brand new at the pedal steel,you have the pleasure of my very first post,could you please send me a copy of your magic chart,thanx,

cheers. :D
Jody Suchard

Post by Jody Suchard »

Thank you very much for your super speedy response patricia.I can see that this chart will be a part of me for a very long time.
cheers.
Jody.
Jody Suchard

Post by Jody Suchard »

as long as i can figure it all out,alot of people dont realize how intricate steel playing is,takes alot to get the sound that the "PROS" get.not just playing notes,ya gotta feel it.
Tommy Gibbons

Chart

Post by Tommy Gibbons »

Hi Patricia, The chart looks great, I would like to get one please. Email sent!

Thanks, Tommy
Ron Stephens

E9 Chord Chart

Post by Ron Stephens »

Patricia,
What a great job on your chart. I would love to have one also. At my advanced age I need all the help I can get. Thanks for all your hard work.

Ron.
Paul McKinney

E9 Chord Chart

Post by Paul McKinney »

Patricia,
Please send file of your chart. I think it would help me see the BIG PICTURE!! I will PM with email address.
Thanks

Paul
Joe Gretz

Bump

Post by Joe Gretz »

Thanks again Patricia!!! :)

I hereby nominate this thread as a "Sticky"...unless it's already been nominated that is...I'm too lazy to look! :lol:

Joe
Dattebayo!!!
Greg Elkins

Post by Greg Elkins »

Email sent. Thank you so much for your hard work and for being so kind and generous! Much appreciated!
Mark Carter

Thanks!!!!

Post by Mark Carter »

Patricia,

Thanks so much for this chart!!!

BTW, I just spent 8 days on vacation in Banff (near Calgary). What a BEAUTIFUL part of the world you live in!

Best wishes,
Mark
Patricia Warnock

TSGA Jamboree

Hi, Friends! I'm very excited to be in Dallas, Texas at the 25th Anniversary of the Texas Steel Guitar Association Jamboree. I hope I'll see a few of you here.

I have brought a few tabloid-size copies of the chart with me. If you are in Dallas, haven't printed it yet, and can find me in the crowd I'd be happy to pass one along to you.

All the best, Patricia
Brennan Mangan

Post by Brennan Mangan »

Anyone here with the know-how to post the PDF online somewhere for easy downlading?
Patricia Warnock

The chart is not posted online. I have the ability but choose to take a more personal approach by sharing it with others individually. I'm happy to personally respond to each request...nearing 500 now.
John Fox

Thanks again for the chart!

Post by John Fox »

Dear Patricia,

Thanks again, and now I see you've made it to "over 500 served." Congratulations! That's a real gift to all of us. I gave a poster to my teacher, hoping it will draw more interest in PSG.

Are you considering doing a C6th chart? I see in your photo on your postings that you play a D-10... That would be very helpful too. Hint.

I had a stray thought that your fretboard diagram might be made into a PSG slide-rule, with each string a slide, marked with note names, and moving left or right in accordance with pedals and knees. That would possibly provide a good visual aid for finding intervals. Has anyone tried such a device? It might be best in a software, because if done with, say, wood, it would be too close to a guitar, and more a diversion from practice than an aid, in my view. Maybe one day a tablature software could do this. I don't think ClicTab does this, but I should check. Sorry for the stray thought, but your chart is a great visual aid! :D
Very respectfully,
John
Barry Hyman

This is the tip of the iceberg

Post by Barry Hyman »

There are at least fifteen chords you can get on the 1st, 2nd, and 5th strings on my (5 pedal/4 knee lever) E9 steel. I have the usual pedals and knees, plus I can raise the 1st string a fret and lower the 2nd string one or two frets (both of which are fairly common pulls). Using this not-unusual copedant and these strings (plus sometimes the 4th or 6th strings) I have discovered three major triad inversions, four minors, half a dozen seventh chords, and several other complex chords (m7, diminished, dim 7th, m7-5, augmented, dominant 7b9, etc). None of these seem to be on your chart; the fun and games never stop when you play steel... For example, can you find a G major triad at the fifth fret, eighth fret, and twelfth fret, as well as the usual ones at the third, sixth, and tenth frets?
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Wally Giffin

Chart

Post by Wally Giffin »

Hi Patricia,

Please send your chart.

Thanks,

Wally
Patricia Warnock

Icebergs

Barry...was that a rehetorical question?? :? As I said in my original post "Obviously with unlimited combinations available on the steel this chart doesn't show them all" This is a simple chart showing the location of a few of the more common chords using the four major string groups - from one beginner to another. Using the 1st, 2nd, 7th, and 9th strings opens a whole new world to explore. The treasure hunt for chords on the pedal steel is half the fun...
John Fox

C6th Chart available

Post by John Fox »

Dear Patricia,

Please pardon me if I am a little off-topic, but your many readers may also want more on C6th navigation.

I asked in a previous post about a C6th chart, and now I found one in a Forum thread of August, 2006. The thread, with comments on theory, is at http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/001350.html, and the chart itself, by Trap Truly, is at http://dogriverpub.com/trap/chords.pdf. It's 4 pages of a table showing the fret distance from the major chord to variants, along with the pedals used and the strings to grab. It's not quite the same approach as your chart, but it's another part of what you and Barry seem to call the "iceberg."

I was also amazed to find so many threads that are available from some years ago. As another example, the old tablature thread has a wealth of good stuff. It's at http://steelguitarforum.com/cgi-bin/for ... &SUBMIT=Go, but it takes a while to load as it contains all the old threads. I hope this is of use to anyone. I'm a newbie and didn't know how much is out there to discover. Thanks for your help in capturing so much that is useful in an easy-to-read-and-memorize chart!

Very respectfully,
John :)
Brennan Mangan

Post by Brennan Mangan »

Patricia Warnock wrote:The chart is not posted online. I have the ability but choose to take a more personal approach by sharing it with others individually. I'm happy to personally respond to each request...nearing 500 now.
Understood, it just seems with so much interest it'd certainly be of use to future forum members and once this thread goes to pasture, well...

Anywho, I would appreciate a copy of the chart. Thanks

EDIT: Thanks for the email
John Coffman

Thanks

Post by John Coffman »

WOW is the words I would use to say how well Micky's book is looking. I got a peek at the TSGA JAM in Dallas and the Chart is also a nice addition to anybodys wall. I was a pleasure meeting and talking to you in Dallas.
Bob Evens

Chart

Post by Bob Evens »

Please count me in for the chart. robartevens@yahoo.com
Thank you
Bob Evens
Play with your heart...your hands and feet will follow

Zum SD10
NV112