Moving on......

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

... and, by the way, a steel guitar version of Guitar Hero might just be the best thing that could happen to steel guitar. Not for the pros and serious players, obviously, but can you imagine what would happen if millions of people were playing ANY version of a steel guitar and digging it? How many tens of thousands would graduate to the real thing? Whoa!
My guess - not that many. Most, I fear, would be satisfied being "fake" musicians à la Guitar Hero ...
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

I also have thought about individual pickups on each string and routing through pitch shifters per string and then just have a pot-like device on the pedals and levers. Then the computer would offer different tunings for a one neck guitar.
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

The Monalisa (sp?), the Colt revolver, and the Presidential Limousine could maybe use a few improvements, but sooner or later, a point should be reached where good enough is good enough. Technology is a good thing. Without it, I would not be typing this post. But concerning my steel, I like mine the way it is. If anyone wants to change their's, good luck and happy pickin'. :D

Mitch
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Mitch Ellis wrote:The Monalisa (sp?), the Colt revolver, and the Presidential Limousine could maybe use a few improvements, but sooner or later, a point should be reached where good enough is good enough. Technology is a good thing. Without it, I would not be typing this post. But concerning my steel, I like mine the way it is. If anyone wants to change their's, good luck and happy pickin'. :D

Mitch
Mitch eloquently said what I (uncharacteristically :lol:) have been unable to say.

For me, it's not so much the destination as it is the journey. My journey is playing the pedal steel guitar, hopefully for folks who appreciate it and might have some idea of what it takes to play it. When the vehicle for my journey is no longer is a pedal steel guitar, I don't visualize myself sitting behind it.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Barry Blackwood

Mitch and Herb - I agree with you in principle, but if we all thought that way, we'd still be watching TVs that look like this ...

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Barry, I don't buy your example... that's too much of a leap. Today's televisions are basically an extension of your picture: a screen remote from the viewer that delivers pictures and sound. Channels have to be changed, reception adjusted. We've not yet all donned virtual reality goggles just yet.

To me, a better example proving your point would be how the computer changed information delivery. Newspapers are dying and dead because the Internet has sped up news dissemination and destroyed print advertising. Entire books are found online regularly. "Dead trees" are the old economy.

Okay, I'm not arguing that computer knowledge should be rolled back, but (example only) IT (info technololgy) is a double-edged sword. It's made life greatly easier in some respects, and much more problematic in other aspects. What is germane to the issue is that the entire FORM of the procedure (getting info from point A to point B) has taken on a new paradigm.

And isn't there still value in reading a good book in front of the fireplace, or is cradling your laptop on the couch a better thing? My wife and I still take the newspaper and read it at the breakfast table while having our coffee, even though she has her laptop nearby. We discuss world and local issues and the editorialists we enjoy reading.

It's an esthetic thing; the act of doing something and enjoying it in its previous incarnation. Newer is not necessarily *better* to all folks.

I enjoy operating a pedal steel guitar; I don't enjoy programming anything... from a VCR (VCR!? How last Sunday is that?!) to a DVD recorder to a remote control. The instrument y'all's discussion is describing seems to bear little resemblance to the instrument upon which I want to play my way into the sunset, though it would undoubtedly be a technological marvel.

Yet, I realize that your discussions are what advancement is about, and that advancement cannot be stopped. But there will be a lot of riders that will jump off that trolley before the final "ding" of the bell, simply because the destination is not where they want to go.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Barry Blackwood

Barry, I don't buy your example... that's too much of a leap. Today's televisions are basically an extension of your picture: a screen remote from the viewer that delivers pictures and sound. Channels have to be changed, reception adjusted.
Indeed, Herb, but with the advent of the "nouveau" steel guitar, there are still strings to be plucked, bars to be moved, and pedals to be depressed, so in some form, it would still be an extension of the Multi-Kord or something like it.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Herb Steiner wrote:...there will be a lot of riders that will jump off that trolley before the final "ding" of the bell, simply because the destination is not where they want to go.
Actually, your old-fashioned steels will still work fine so you don't have to jump off of anything; just keep doing what you're doing. (My dad used his slide-rule long after they were largely replaced by calculators.)

But we, the present generation of steelers, will not be inconvenienced in any way by having newer technology available to those who prefer it. (There are still a lotta folky acoustic guitar strummers who never 'went electric' but as long as they had their acoustic guitars, the availability to others of electric guitars didn't limit their enjoyment of playing their older axes.) And, in the end, we the present generation will die off (yes, it's true) and maybe the newer generation will be more attracted to (and perhaps less intimidated by) the latest technology versions of our instrument (just as electric guitars have boomed over our generation). These new developments are not for everyone. I've got no problem with that and am still happy to encourage product development for those who will appreciate and enjoy the possibilities it provides.
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

The vision of PSG some of us are tossing around here would still have strings, be played with a bar, and picks or fingers. Pedals and levers would be pushed.

That is analogous to the digital keyboard, which is still played by pressing keys, although there are additional controls available to modify the sound.

Herb, "programming" this instrument would be no more complicated than participating in this forum. You would tune the strings with a builtin digital tuner, just as you do now. You would enter the tuning and changes in the same way you type up a copedent. A separate menu would provide changes to the tone, using modeling technology to simulate different pickups and placement, or body wood and structure. A third Utility menu to set up the tuner (telling it what pitches the physical strings will be tuned to,) and calibrating pedals and levers.

The only mechanical adjustments needed would be for setting the range of motion and resistance (tension) of the pedals and levers. Setting up to play would be quick; attach legs and pedal bar, and connect a cable to the pedal bar, probably a regular CAT 5 computer networking cable. If you added the automated tuning system that Gibson has in their "Robot Guitars," tuning the instrument would be pushing a button and strumming across all the strings.

The instrument would be less expensive to build, once developed. Far fewer precisely machined peices of metal, which take hours to assemble and adjust. Lighter weight, unless you decided you wanted a plexiglass body.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

With newer technology, could you imagine how easy it could become to try out different copedants at the flick of a switch instead of spending the afternoon re-rodding your guitar? Hmmm...
ed packard

update

Post by ed packard »

For the irritation of the traditionalists, we proceed as follows:

Pedalbar and levers are being looked at for mods to allow an electrical signal to be generated for control of the pitch/spectrum shift. Methods being considered are pots, Pressure/force sensors (semiconductor, and strain gauges), photo electric, variable reluctance.
Any control signals generated could be used to control solenoids, step motors, servo motors, or other string tension changing mechanisms...my goal is no string tension changing employed.
Individual string pickups...Graphtek makes a piezo element...and associated amplification system that can be used if the changer is moved to the players left (see the BEAST). This approach would work well on the lap steels.
The Roland hex (use 2?) can be fitted to the PSG...I have one on one of mine. The issue is that the string spacing is for standard guitar so must be slanted on the PSG.
Individual string analog signals would go thru A/D (analog to digital) converters...the question of which A/D chip is in the mill. A common configuration has 8 inputs multiplexed. Our signals are slow enough (most PSG signals are 5KHz or less).
The same chip will work re the control voltages from the pedal/lever activations...so we have a pot full of A/D activity.
I suppose that we could use "analog multipliers", but the world has more "digital" stuff this week, so we go digital.
Because I am addicted to using the computer as my effects box and stringed instrument solver program, I will try to use the spreadsheet as a source for the setup (coped) to be used...it can be changed with one click to a different one.This setup defines the number of halftone shifts for each pedal/lever/string.
The rest is numerical processing in an external "box", the result of which is sent to the computer for use in the software effects box.So...pickups, Graphtek or Roland. Pedalbar/lever mods Jim Palenscar? A/D and processor chips is Analog Devices, Motorola, or ?. Spreadsheet is Excel. Effects software is Audiffex = IN TONE.
It appears that Peterson (tuners) is getting into MIDI processing for the PSG etc. They might have an interest in the "BOX" section of the device as part of their product line.  
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Ed, tell ya what... forget what I said earlier about "Four Wheel Drive."

Just play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the sumbitch and you'll have a convert!! :lol:

Ed, I hope you realize this is just friendly banter. I know technology marches on always, usually for the betterment of everyone. I just like the old ways, 'cause I'm a Jimmy Day steel player. ;)