Why can't our steels look more "cool"?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

You sit virtually motionless, so there's little visual interest. And you stare at your bar hand, with no eye contact with the audience. People think you are part of the furniture.

Watch a Joe Wright video.
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

One way to make your steel look totally cool would be to install a puppet house on top of it. :lol:

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

We could have the front aprons painted with designs like these:

Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

chas smith,
As of right now my friend, you have the top spot for having PSG "COOL"

Mike...I loaned my PSG to a friend to do a part in the movie "Buster and Billie" they hung a curtain on it to hide the pedals.

Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

Nothing on the bandstand looks better than a D10 with about 8 and 6!
Les Green
73 MSA D10 8&4, 74 MSA S10 3&5, Legrande II 8&9, Fender Squier 6 string, Genesis III, Peavey 1000
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I like the puppet-house idea. When the curtain opens, voila! it reveals the man behind the curtain who has been making all those cool and dreamy sounds. Imagine the mystery of it all! The mystique! The ladies will faint! Oh, shiver!
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Sittin' behind David Wright's guitar here. How much more cool than those flames could you get !!
Image[/b]
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jimbeaux
If you had two groupies on each arm, they'd more than likely be tattoos.
;)

Cya in Big D, dudely!
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

Of course another option instead of making your steel look cooler is to make yourself look more cool. Animal heads are ideal for this purpose
(or porpoise).

Hmmm, that guy sure looks familiar, doesn't he, Jim.
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

OK, now we're talking!
I knew there were some more ways to make the steel look cool!
In a pinch, some good airbrush painting will do the trick for me.
At least we have a blank canvas to work on.
p.s. Chuck, they have the internet in Florida too!
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

You could have all the metal parts anodized black. And, if you wanted to go Goth, finish the wood in black, with skulls across the apron.

Or put a translucent panel between the legs with LEDs behind it. A modernized Grand Letar.

Or put metal channels across the top and bottom of the apron, and slide in different vinyl panels appropriate to the gig.

I'd like to see a lady steeler with a "Hello Kitty" instrument.

Actually, I think the PSG looks pretty cool in its natural glory. Clean simple lines, form follows function, pure elegance. But more necks, more strings, more pedals and levers help. Maybe two-tiered pedals like Vance Terry and Al Petty had.

Maybe I better figure out the S10 5X5 first.
George Crowder

Post by George Crowder »

Hey Tony, over in the instruments for sale section, look at Don Fullmer's Carter S12 with the airbrushed picture on the front apron. Now that's a cool steel.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

"'Cool is as cool does' that's what wise men say.
If you would be cool, then choose another axe to play."

Steel guitar will become more "cool" when more "cool" players get recognized by those who determine what is "cool." That would be 1. young people, 2. black folks, 3. hipsters.

Santo and Johnny were the Dick Continos of the steel guitar. "Sleepwalk" is to steel as "Lady of Spain" is to accordion and "Orange Blossom" is to fiddle.

Buddy Emmons got 5 stars from Down Beat magazine for Steel Guitar Jazz. Buddy also was Ray Charles' steel player of choice, so's he's automatically cool. And he played with Danny Gatton.

Sneaky Pete was automatically cool also, for being the most iconoclastic player of his generation and playing with monster stars on huge records.

Jerry Garcia made steel guitar "cool." Buddy Cage helped. Currently Robert Randolph is the coolest thing to happen to steel guitar, in my lifetime anyway.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

And, if you wanted to go Goth, finish the wood in black, with skulls across the apron.
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Rich Peterson wrote:You could have all the metal parts anodized black. And, if you wanted to go Goth, finish the wood in black, with skulls across the apron.
A Franklin would be a good candidate for this: it already has spider webs on the fretboard.

As for cool: doesn't Chuck Berry play a Fender 400 at the end of the movie, "Hail Hail Rock and Roll"?
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain..
I thing it would be good to start making big fiberglass wrap around looking like 55-57 Chevy.
Then add steering wheel and shifter, turn blinkers to control pedals and levers.
Sparks and smoke coming out the drag pipes 8)
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Black is cool. It sounds best, too.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Dick Contino...great reference, Herb. I got it...
Terje Brattsveen

Post by Terje Brattsveen »

If you can't find a Fender, check this out: www.harmosmusic.com.
John Lemieux

Post by John Lemieux »

Dont stop this is getting good
music is the spice of life
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ken...yeah, you could have a stage race against paul revere (annd the raiders) keyboard of the same concept!
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

I like the idea of fiberglass.....unlimited possibilities.
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

This is the front of a Jaguar XKSS on a Carter steel.
You could turn on the headlights to spot the nice looking chicks on the dance floor. I think an added windshield might also look nice, and would offer protection from thrown objects when playing in a rowdy bar. :wink:

Tony,
All kidding aside, I just listened to the clips on your website. You sounded real good on the steel.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Herb Steiner wrote:"'Cool is as cool does' that's what wise men say.
If you would be cool, then choose another axe to play."

Steel guitar will become more "cool" when more "cool" players get recognized by those who determine what is "cool." That would be 1. young people, 2. black folks, 3. hipsters.

Santo and Johnny were the Dick Continos of the steel guitar. "Sleepwalk" is to steel as "Lady of Spain" is to accordion and "Orange Blossom" is to fiddle.

Buddy Emmons got 5 stars from Down Beat magazine for Steel Guitar Jazz. Buddy also was Ray Charles' steel player of choice, so's he's automatically cool. And he played with Danny Gatton.

Sneaky Pete was automatically cool also, for being the most iconoclastic player of his generation and playing with monster stars on huge records.

Jerry Garcia made steel guitar "cool." Buddy Cage helped. Currently Robert Randolph is the coolest thing to happen to steel guitar, in my lifetime anyway.
I wish I'd said all that. :mrgreen:
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

Has anyone ever built an art-deco steel? That would look neat.