what do you keep your bars in?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Victoria

what do you keep your bars in?

Post by Ron Victoria »

I made a cardboard tube to keep my new red rajah in. It's ok but was looking for a suggestion that might be better.

ron
Last edited by Ron Victoria on 4 Feb 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

what do you keep your slides in?
These, of course!

Adam Gejdos

Post by Adam Gejdos »

I picked up a cheap makeup bag from the dollar store. It's about 5 x 5 inches with a side pouch with snap button. It cost about $5 and holds my Shubb (for dobro), Jerry Byrd bar and picks. I have a habit of forgetting things so I put everything needed for lap and dobro all in one place no matter if I bring one or the other, or both guitars.
It kinda looks like these but with an extra compartment on the side.

http://thewholesaleplanet.com/product_i ... cts_id=611
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

My Tribotones each arrived in a hard plastic tube with a stopper at the open end. Ditto for various Red Rajahs and Black Phoenixes, except the tubes are cardboard. I received a Slipperyslide bar in a little cloth bag with a drawstring that'll hold 2 bars-- that's the one that takes up the least space.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I use a Crown Royal bag for my favorite bar.....JH in Va.
Last edited by Jerry Hayes on 4 Feb 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Todd Weger

Altoids boxes

Post by Todd Weger »

I use Altoids boxes. I can fit two bars, and my finger/thumb picks in there. They fit great in my accessories compartment in the guitar cases, everything is easy to find, and as a bonus, you get to eat the Altoids beforehand. They're curiously strong!

Oh yeah, I have the old (now discontinued I think) cinnamon flavor boxes with Sindy on the cover!

:D
Todd James Weger --
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Ray Shakeshaft

Post by Ray Shakeshaft »

Cases for those small digital cameras can occasionally be found extremely cheap in supermarkets (£1/$2) and they will fit on your belt. I now wish I had bought more because they are handy for lots of things musical...and even small digital cameras!.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

If you know anyone who is giving up the cancer sticks, the tubes that Nicorette gum are distributed in are the best storage, bar none. Very thick plastic with a nice slick lining inside, and large enough to accomodate almost any size bar. I use lipstick holders for my dobro-type bars (stevens style bars), you can get them for a buck or two at lots of places.
Bill McRoberts

Post by Bill McRoberts »

I've used small leather bags until recently.

One was from a pepper spray kit (you gotta have a good woman to give up one of those). A couple of months ago, I started using the digital camera case like Ray stated earlier.

I also use a simular case made for a nebulizer. Same price at the drug store and just as compact.

Here is photos of the Digital camera case. It fits nicely in my pack-a-seat.

Ray Shakeshaft

Post by Ray Shakeshaft »

Well I'll be damned Bill!!!!! That is exactly the same case as mine only mine is silver!!!!!....and how far do we live apart?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Here's another vote for the M&M Minis containers. Be sure to wash them out first, or your bar will smell like chocolate. They hold a bar and set of picks pretty well, and if the container breaks, you're only out 75 cents.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Bill McRoberts

Post by Bill McRoberts »

Light years? ...No. Half a world?...Perhaps but, its a small one :wink:
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

I use a an old sunglasses case that has to be at least 50 years old. I can get two bullet bars into it.

I have a little padded pocket in the steel's case for my Stevens bar as well.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

I'm sure you didn't mean this type of box, but this is what I keep ALL my bars (and writst pins) in!!!!! The little pouch in the right foreground is what I use to keep my playing bars in such as my Shubb SP2. I have three of these, one for each of two steels I use ongoing and my Dobro.

Geo
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I keep them in my cases and gig bags so I don't forget them! Also, always keep one in my pocket on gig nights.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Mike, your comment "so you won't forget them" hit right home. When I return from playing, I take the guitar and bar/pics out of the case, put the guitar on a stand, and the case in a back room. The picks and bar sit on an amp right here. For the first time in 40 or so years two weeks ago, I arrived at a venue only to have left the bar & picks home. It was because I changed cases, took the guitar and bar/picks out of one case, was in a hurry, and forgot to put them in the 2nd case. FORTUNEATELY, a chap who plays both Dobro and steel came and he had two bars with him, one was an SP2 same as I use. And, I also was only a half block away from a music store that has Stevens. That was close!!!!! Maybe it's a new "senior's moment".

Geo
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Stephen Wells

Post by Stephen Wells »

I keep my Sheerhorn bar and my picks in the case that a pair of cuff links came in. I got the idea from Gene Crownover.
Stephen
Dave Bader

Post by Dave Bader »

Pete Hunt

Where I keep 'em

Post by Pete Hunt »

I keep a couple of bars in cases and my favorite speed bar (right now a cut down Robert Randolph #1) in my gig bag in a zippered pouch. Then in my pack I carry around some picks and an old stevens bar tied up in a sock. Yep, a sock. I'm right now headin' to the store for some mini M&Ms. I'm going modern.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

You hippies and your newfangled green technology...

OR

So that's what the president meant when he said "renewable resources"...
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

Doug,
I hope you licked them off before playing!!!!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

It really brings out the warm 'tropical' tone in the bar.
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

I use small plastic boxes designed for fishing tackle. With a snip or two of the dividers the small ones can be made to hold a bar in one compartment, with three others smaller compartments each big enough for a set of picks or a tuning wrench. The larger plastic tackle boxes can be modified to hold an assortment of bars and accessories. THey are available at most hardware and sporting goods stores.
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »