Post by John P. Phillips »

THE KAT HAS SPOKEN ! :lol:
Just remember,
You don�t stop playing cause you get older,
You get older cause you stop playing ! http://www.myspace.com/johnpphillips
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I just learned the J.P. Richardson (The Big Bopper) wrote "White Lightning."
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

I have searched thru' Buddy's big hits and other than "not fade away" I cannot see the blatant Bo Diddley stuff.
Perhaps being a UK resident I missed Bo's recordings of "Raining in My Heart"
"It does'nt matter anymore"
"Rave on"

Ok I wo'nt rave on.
I was a Buddy fan then and I still like His music.
Best regards
Billy
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

I think you're looking in the wrong place - It's under b0b Diddley :wink:
Ron Petersen
b0b

Post by b0b »

Billy Murdoch wrote:I have searched thru' Buddy's big hits and other than "not fade away" I cannot see the blatant Bo Diddley stuff.
I withdraw my objections. :oops:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I see no wrong in honoring Buddy Holly every year. Shoot we have one or two that bring up names on here on a pretty regular basis. Most of them nobody even knows. You know like Slim Regular and his Misfits from somewhere in the bayous of Lousiana.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

b0b,
Spoken like a man.
We all have different musical tases,thank goodness.
Best regards
Billy
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Murdoch! You're full of it!
Gonnae geez some?
Arch.
I'm well behaved, so there!
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

I just played 2 gigs this weekend with a tribute show to all 3 of them. Each was attended by at least 1500 people and they loved every minute of it.

Bottom line, a lot of people still remember and love their music.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

b0b wrote: The guy's biggest hits were blatant rip-offs of Bo Diddly. If he hadn't died, he'd have been washed up within a few years. Just my opinion. What do I know. I was just a kid.
Yea, "True Love Ways" and "It's So Easy"....those sound JUST LIKE Diddly huh????......geez.

Buddy Holly was nothing like Bo Diddly. Diddly used one chord...Holly used 3.....
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

b0b wrote:I moved this because it turned into a debate about the use of the forum. Frankly, I think that the number of forum members who ever met Buddy Holly can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.

The guy's biggest hits were blatant rip-offs of Bo Diddly. If he hadn't died, he'd have been washed up within a few years. Just my opinion. What do I know. I was just a kid.
Found a real nice tribute to Holly on the net. Read it and then say he would have been washed up. Holly was poised to get into other facets of the music biz mostly in the record production end of it.

Holly was the primary influence on some kids from Liverpool........

http://www.virtualubbock.com/stoCOBuddy.html
b0b

Post by b0b »

I hereby retract everything I said about Buddy Holly.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

b0b wrote:I hereby retract everything I said about Buddy Holly.
You are very wise b0b. Proud of you.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

b0b. One BO. Diddley rip off that you are allowed to speak of..;-) is the intro to "Wake Up Little Suzie" by the Everly brothers. When they started recording the track the session players (including Chet Atkins) were trying to come up with an intro and the Everly Brothers were telling them about the Bo Diddley groove which the young kids dug at that time. The banging guitar intro is a direct blatant Bo Diddley rip off... Feel better?
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Wonder how MANY of us here on the forum will be remembered fifty years from now ? I know damn well I won't,doubt if my great,great,great grand kids will have ever heard of me. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

b0b, I remember the day the music died very well. I was 12 years old and playing in the back yard of my parent's house on Alfred St. in W. Hollywood CA, just north of Beverly Blvd.

I don't recall hearing much about Buddy Holly. He wasn't big here on the West Coast. The big news was Richie Valens, 'cause he was a homeboy from San Fernando. Also, the Big Bopper was huge because of "Chantilly Lace."

I didn't BHCS (Buddy Holly Consciousness Syndrome)until after I moved to TX.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Awww, b0b....don't give up so easily!!

Seriously I believe that Buddy would have continued to write and produce and have gone on to have a career like Jimmy Bowen...that, as far as I recall, had only one big rockabilly hit.."I'm sticking with you", but had a HUGE career as a BIG deal guy as a record executive..even working with Sinatra.

Buddy might also have gone back to his country roots...and have had a career there.

Herb...I was raised in the San Jose, Santa Cruz and a few years in SF(Mostly listening to blues on KSAN!)
....Buddy was VERY popular in my circles.
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

I was 17 years old when Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & The Big Bopper died. I remember the day like it was yesterday. I grew up in the Rock-n-Roll era of the 50's and some of the best music ever written or performed took place then. Got to see Gene Vincent & Eddie Cochran perform live. Had goosebumps the size of chicken eggs on my arms.Kinda funny no one has mentioned when Waylon Jennings played with Buddy. The music didn't die in the 50's as its still being played today! Happy "50" Anniversary Buddy, Ritchie & The Big Bopper. Signed "Lost in the 50"s".
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

bOb - I would be very careful in the future on whom you accuse of "ripping off". The oldest adage in the music bisiness is "If You Can't Come Up With Somethng New, Rip Somebody Off!" Virtually EVERYBODY in the music business has done this at one time or another, even Bach and Mozart. Yes, there have been originals and trendsetters but even those guy have had influences and anybody who is honest would readily admit that. I'm actually kind of surprised that you would make those comments about Buddy Holly who is a world renowned huge influence on now-many generations of musicians of many genres. You know, you could say the same thing about someone like Jerry Lee Lewis. Although it seems much longer, "The Killer"'s time in the spotlight was a mere 15, maybe 20 seconds in pop music life, about a year and a half. And Jerry Lee, while he is certainly good at what he does, is rather limited in his musical style. And BTW, as conceited and arrogant as he is, he always cites other musicians that influenced him and gave him ideas. Whatever your opinions are, and you are most entitled to them, Buddy Holly will remain a shining star in musical history for many, many years to come. Have a good day today.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Chris, maybe you missed this:
b0b wrote:I hereby retract everything I said about Buddy Holly.
I'm going to leave it at that.
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

I did read that, Bobby, and I applaud and respect you for that.
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

I don't think many people know this, but Buddy holly didn't play lead on all his recordings. He played lead on "That'll Be The Day', "I'm looking For Someone To Love', "Maybe Baby', "Oh Boy', "Not Fade Away', "Words Of Love', "Tell Me How' and "Peggy Sue', just to name a few.

It was Tommy Allsup who played lead on "It's so Easy', "Heartbeat', "Love's Made A Fool Of You', "Lonesome Tears' and "Wishing'. Also, Don Guess did much of the lead playing on Buddy's earlier Decca recordings.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Glen Derksen wrote:I don't think many people know this, but Buddy holly didn't play lead on all his recordings. He played lead on "That'll Be The Day', "I'm looking For Someone To Love', "Maybe Baby', "Oh Boy', "Not Fade Away', "Words Of Love', "Tell Me How' and "Peggy Sue', just to name a few.

It was Tommy Allsup who played lead on "It's so Easy', "Heartbeat', "Love's Made A Fool Of You', "Lonesome Tears' and "Wishing'. Also, Don Guess did much of the lead playing on Buddy's earlier Decca recordings.
Actually it was Sonny Curtis and Grady Martin, Don played bass on those.
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

Jussi Huhtakangas wrote:
Glen Derksen wrote:I don't think many people know this, but Buddy holly didn't play lead on all his recordings. He played lead on "That'll Be The Day', "I'm looking For Someone To Love', "Maybe Baby', "Oh Boy', "Not Fade Away', "Words Of Love', "Tell Me How' and "Peggy Sue', just to name a few.

Actually it was Sonny Curtis and Grady Martin, Don played bass on those.
Oops, you're right...Sonny Curtis and Grady Martin played lead and Don Guess played Bass...on the Decca recordings, that is. Buddy Holly and Tommy Allsup played lead on the ones I mentioned, on Coral Records, according to my research.