Now, RIP Tom Brumley

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

It is with tear filled eyes and a heavy heart that I make this reply. Tom was a dear dear friend and we shared some great times together. What fun he was to be around and to work with on stage. I'll miss him forever and think of him often. Our prayers go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace dear Tom.
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

Very sad news indeed.Tom was an inspiration to all of us.Tom will be missed by many steelers and steelers to come.

Rolene and family....may the Good Lord guide you through these troubled times.

Tom we will miss you friend.

Karen and Ron
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I'm sorry to hear this. Although I didn't know him personally, Tom's playing influenced me and many others. He will be missed. My prayers to his family.
Tay Joslin

Post by Tay Joslin »

Although he is sadly missed,
Mr. Tom has gained a victory!
We should all be pleased with
that and desire the same for
ourselves, someday!

Tearfully with prayers,
Tay & Jenn
Laid-back Country picker with a laid-back Country mind; don't let the suit and tie fool you.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

My condolences to all. Thanks Bobby and Boo for keeping us informed..
Hook
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I've made my feelings about Maestro Brumley's playing very clear in many posts over the years. I only met him once, but it was a quite significant event to me.

My heartfelt condolences to his family, and to all his friends who knew him personally better than I; but I feel I knew him just from hearing his playing. This may seem irrational and selfish, but it's true.

Rest in Peace Tom.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

One of the greats has left us. I have derived endless joy from listening to Tom's playing and I will continue to do so until it's my turn to go.

My condolences to Tom's friends and loved ones.
Stuart Basore

Tom B.

Post by Stuart Basore »

Such a sad day; we will all miss our wonderful friend. Prayers for the family, Stu & Marsha.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I also regret hearing about Tom's passing today. I shall miss him along with the rest of the SGF.

It was around 1962 or 63 that I saw Tom playing with Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, in Chicago, at a Shower Of Stars show. I was fascinated with the sound of his steel guitar and how well he played it. In fact, that show is what made me want to play steel. There were no steel guitars to be found in Chicago in those days, so that dream was placed on hold. It took another 10 years to get my first steel, but I attribute the quest to Tom Brumley. And, I still have the Buckaroos albums that I bought in the 1960's and '70's.

Bye Tom ;-(
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Dick Sexton

So sorry...

Post by Dick Sexton »

What a great influence he had on so many. May he rest in the Lords presence and his family be blessed and comforted.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Thank you Tom for everything you have given me; I will never forget that I am the steel player that I am because of your inspiration.
You have inspired so many with your music and friendship; and your legacy will be just that, for many years to come.
I love you and I'll miss you and I will always have the great memories and music you left with me.
Richard Davis Bledsoe
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Ken Newman

rip tom brumley

Post by Ken Newman »

thank tom you for the great music , and the great laughs, you are always one 'unforgettable' note in the scale of the world. with your permission the music will carry on. always rest in peace, with your precious memories. kenny
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

What a sad news to hear...Tom was one of the reason i took up the steel years ago and my first song was together again.

Rest in peace my friend.

Pat C.
Comeau SD10 4x5, Comeau S10 3x5, Peavey Session 500,Fender Telecaster,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Precision,1978 Ovation Viper electric. Alvarez 4 strings Violin electric.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Robbie Roberts

Post by Robbie Roberts »

He has been a huge inspiration for me to learn steel guitar. He put so much soul and beauty into his playing. I'm very sad to hear he's left us.

Robbie
Chuck Cusimano

Post by Chuck Cusimano »

It's Ironic, I guess that last night our band played "Together Again", and since we have Three lead Instruments, Buddie Hrabal (steel) takes the ride very close to Tom's Outstanding recorded ride, then Dale Morris Jr. on fiddle, then I play the first half again on Guitar, and Buddie finishes it off with steel again, And last night when Buddie played his second ride... It was so great! It was in context of Tom's great style, but yet was unique and the entire band got goose bumps, and when we finished the song, The crowd went wild! They always like to hear that song, but somehow it was SUPER SPECIAL last night. Buddie had played a tribute to Tom Brumley, and everyone knew it. We took the time to tell the crowd about Tom and ask for prayers for him and his family.

I can't say enough about what "THE BUCKAROOS" has meant to me musically. I say they were the GREATEST FOUR PIECE (Five with Buck) COUNTRY BAND EVER. That's my oppinion. I don't think there could have been a better choice for that group than, Buck, Don, Tom, Doyle, and Willy.

My heart goes out to his family, Friends, and Fans.
Tom Brumley, Rest In Peace
Gary Stenulson

RIP Tom

Post by Gary Stenulson »

Rest in Peace my friend..Sorry we couldn't get together more often...
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I am too upset to say anything now except may GOD bless, comfort, and keep Rolene and the family always. Jody.
pdl20

Mr. Brumley

Post by pdl20 »

Gods Grace be with Rolene & family.He was a treasure and gave all of us many hr's of his talent and friendship.He has Joined a his Father and many who have gone before him.What a reunion that must be .God Bless you Tom , You will be Missed
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Very sad news indeed - one of the highlights of my upcoming trip to Dallas was going to be to see Tom play live... condolences to his wife and family.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i too am deeply saddened to read of Tom's passing
may he live on through his musik & may the Lord bless him up there in steel guitar heaven
my sincere condolences to his family
Don Lanier

RIP Mr Tom

Post by Don Lanier »

Our Condolences to the Entire Steel Guitar Family as with the Loss of a family member I know Mr Tom meant very much to many of you, I will rejoice in the fact that our Lord has another Great Musician and Tom has truly Gone Home.
My condolences to his family and freinds, and I will pray that his father Our Lord Jesus brings comfort and solace to us all.

I didnt know him but had heard him spoken highly about by many, God Rest his soul and give us all comfort in knowing his music will truly live in us forever.
Allen Kentfield

RIP Tom

Post by Allen Kentfield »

Thank you, Jesus, for loaning us your servant. A noble heart and gentle soul. My condolences, Rolene, to you and yours. Tom inspired me to play, and God blessed me with the opportunity to be his student for two years in Austin. His playing is as familiar as a father's voice. Fare thee well, old friend and master. Music that was heaven on earth has been called back to its original source point.

Al Kentfield
Jonestown, Texas
GaryHoetker

Post by GaryHoetker »

Tom Brumley didn't require the sophisticated marketing plan or hype of today to seal his legacy. He was the real deal !! Thank you for the memories Mr. Brumley and God Speed.

Only one of thousands of his fans.
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Back in the early 90's I toured Canada for 2 weeks with McBride & The Ride. I had heard that Desert Rose Band was going to be the headliner and was looking forward to experiencing the work of J. D. Maness. As it turned out, Tom had just joined the band a week or two prior. It turned out to be a fabulous 2 weeks I will never forget.

Tom truly was a wonderful human being with a big heart and an even bigger sense of humor. I was looking forward to re-connecting with him at upcoming steel shows, but apparently God had a different booking schedule. My condolences go out to the family. I know they are feeling a tremendous void at this moment.

Joe Rogers
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

This is so sad that we lost another Great Hero Tom Brumley.We go to hear a Band every Saturday night and the first song they do is(Together Again).
I will always think of Tom every time I here that song and I play it a lot myself.God Bless Tom and his Family.
Sam White
Pres.NESGA