Pedal steels in Seattle and Portland

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gibson Hartwell

Pedal steels in Seattle and Portland

Post by Gibson Hartwell »

I'm visitng Seattle and Portland soon and was wondering if there are any music stores in the area that have pedal steels on the floor. My opportunity to check out other steels here in Montana is VERY limited and I'm looking for a good single neck guitar.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

You wont find many in Seattle stores. The ONLY "pedal" steel in a store in Seattle I am currently aware of is a broken down old Multikord at Tradng Musician (very good store, lots of nice used amps).
Emerald City Guitars occasionally will have one (they had none last time I checked a couple weeks ago), best to call both places before and ask em. Thats about it tho as far as I am aware of anyway.

In Portland you might have a wee bit better luck.
Bill Patton

Post by Bill Patton »

You can visit the Sierra factory near Portland. It's a pretty small operation, but there might be a steel or two for sale at any given time. Tom Baker, who runs it, is a hell of a guy. The website is sierrasteels.com. Other than that, there's really nothing in the Northwest that I know of.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

In Portland, give a call to Trade Up Music and Portland Music Company. Either one might have a used steel on the floor depending on what's been traded in.
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Unfortunately your opportunity to check out other steels in Seattle is very limited, too! Enjoy your stay, though. :)
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/1002359359.html

This might still be for sale. I don't know anything about this guitar, but if it's Carter-made, plenty of players vouch for Carter. And, gee, it has five knee levers.
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about