Have YOU corresponded with a famous steel player?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Well.... Not a steel-player, but I do have a hand-written letter from Scotty Moore who responded at length to some questions regarding his, and Elvis Presley's, guitars.

These days there's a comprehensive web-site with pages of info on that very subject (and in greater detail than I ever dared hope!), but it wasn't there back then.

He was a huge hero to me when I was starting to play in the fifties, so I treasure this letter, dated 1995.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Well, I have been fortunate and have had correspondence with several well known players over the years including:

Jerry Byrd 3-4 letters
Lloyd Green 3-4 letters
Don Helms 1 letter
Speedy West 2-3 letters
Zane Beck 1 Christmas Card
Herb Remington 1 letter
Ralph Mooney 1 letter
Reece Anderson 2-3 letters

I have kept all of these letters. I might add that Jerry Byrd had the best handwriting/penmanship of anyone I ever corresponded with. Jerry Byrd was always honest with his letters.

Next, Lloyd Green was the most intellectual of all steel players I corresponded with in his fluency, and of the English language which was excellent. He wrote like a college professor. I dearly cherish each of these letters and will keep them. Each one shows a bit of these artists personalities. Some were funny and some real informative but all of them I have a high regard for. Ralph Mooney was nice enough, he even sent me an autograph copy of his steel CD and that blew me away.

These guys were gentlemen, artists and intelligent. I am surprised they took time for a guy like me.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

does Bobbe`s SGN newslater counts..???

Db
Nigel Mullen

Post by Nigel Mullen »

A few years ago I was inducted into the local country music hall of fame so I wrote to Don Helms and told him that he was responsible for my good fortune as he was the first steel player I had seen playing live and I had listened to all those great Hank Williams records that he was on. About three months went by and one night the phone rang and lo and behold it was Don Helms. He congratulated me and talked to me for 30 minutes about his years with Hank and his steel guitar career. He later sent me pictures, his home phone number and address and told me if I ever got down to Nashville to come and visit with him. He also sent me his tunings, string guages etc. It was one of the high points in my life and I'll never forget it. One great person.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Other than via the Forum, the only famous player I've had contact with "in the flesh" has been Basil Henriques.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Thanks to the forum I've been graced with the opportunity to exchange pleasantries with all of my childhood "steel" heroes.

The neat part is that, at the time, I had no idea who they were, I just knew their work.

It just don't get any better than that.
Dr. Richard Buffington

Corresponding with steel players

Post by Dr. Richard Buffington »

I notice that at my age I write myself notes almost daily but the response is sometimes far apart. Doc
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

On second thought, my comments were not "on topic", so I have deleted them.

Gene Jones
www.genejones.com
Last edited by Gene Jones on 22 Jan 2009 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adair Torres

famous steel player

Post by Adair Torres »

I've traded a lot of e-mails with MR. John Hughey. He was a super Gentleman.
Adair Torres - Boss at TowerS Steel Guitars

Zum D10 8X7 Wineberry 2010.
Emmons SD10 3X8 Black 1994.
Derby D10 8X8 Rosewood 2008.
TowerS SD10 3X5 Imbuia Mica Finish 2018
Jim Strawser

Famous Steel Players

Post by Jim Strawser »

:D I have exchanged phone calls with Ronnie Miller, who plays PSG for Charley Pride, does this count? Been friends with Ronnie for almost 30 years now and he is still as good as he ever was! Yahoo Ronnie, yah brat!!
"Steel players are like fine wine, we get better with age"
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

As I probably mentioned this some times before,When I was in my teens I wrote a letter to Tom Bradshaw asking if he had some adresses from my favourite steel players.
He wrote me back with the adresses and some good advice that not everyone might like or appreciate letters or writing back.
Neil Flanz wrote me back,send me 45 he played on and a large signed photo(where he was younger...)
We kept correspondence somehow and I met him after 18 years in Dallas.We go to Austin almost every year and since Neil lives there,we met several times.
I brought Neil in contact with the Gram Parsons Memorial Foundation back then,all through me being 16 or so.
I wrote to Sneaky Pete and he wrote me a letter and sent some photos,I got an answer from Bruce Bouton before meeting him.
Even Commander Cody,George Frayne,answered me sending a signed record.
Neil Harry from Chuck Wagon and the Wheels,sent me a signed record and photo.
Still have everything stored in our house.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

I notice that all the posts highlight the positive aspect of communicating with high profile players.

On the negative side; I've been corresponding with one of the great steel players to get him to send me a copy of his latest cd, paid for in August last year.
To date I'm still to receive it! :aside: :\
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

I don't believe I've written a single letter since Windows 95 came out. And that was well before I got interested in PSG. But since then, I've made contact with the best of the best via email. Too many to list. Back when AOL was the big thing I spent some time chatting with John Hughey on Instant Messenger. I would have never pursued steel they way I did if it hadn't been for him.

JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I feel for you, Nic, but using the word 'correspondence' implies a two-way conversation. It sounds as though yours has been distinctly 'one -way'!
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Roger,.....The strange thing is that all our emails have been conducted in a very amiable way! :o
It is just that the promises of "It will be in the mail this week" has come to nothing over the months.
I am one of those people that likes to believe that we all are good at heart, and that somewhere, somehow the intended action got put on the back burner, and forgotten about! That's why I've refrained from mentioning a name. If ever the cd do arrive, I'll surely let you guys know.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Aha!!!!

Do let us know!
Dean Gray

Post by Dean Gray »

A few months ago I sent a letter to the great Billy Robinson, along with an order for three of his (fantastic) non pedal steel recordings.

He replied by thanking me for ordering his CD's, went on to explain in detail his steel, tuning and string gauges, and how he enjoys sharing his knowledge with fellow steel guitarists.

He even included a couple of Christmas cards featuring his exceptional oil paintings!

A nicer man I have not met - and his non pedal steel playing is brilliant.
The more I learn, the less I know!
Peter Nylund

Post by Peter Nylund »

I've been chatting with Sir Gimble of Gaithersburg. Does that count? :\
I know my playing is a bit pitchy, but at least my tone sucks
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

I know Mike Perlowin....
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Charley,
I met Mike P. at the convention last August, and I must say that he was one of the nicest guys I met.
We had quite a few chats, and he really made me feel like 'one of the guys'.
Roger; Lo and behold!! They say Patience is a virtue...Well, I nearly gave up!! This morning, however, I got the surprise of my life. A box with 5 cds arrived in my post box. (Including the one ordered). I am so thankful that I never mentioned any names..... :oops: :oops:
Suffice to say that that steeler now has a fan for life! (The little things that makes us happy!!) :D
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Good news, Nic - I'm so happy that we're not gonna find out his name!!! :D
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Hi Roger,
I've since had a reply back from the steeler in question, and to say the least, I'm quite ashamed of myself for having doubted the integrity of the man. I was proven wrong. ( another lesson learned!)
I think it was just a classical case of a need for venting my own frustration..... :oops:
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Mr John Hughey answered an Email I sent him about one of his tunes and I still have it.What a great person he was...I am also proud to say I'm good friends with Terry Bethel which I believe to be one of the finest steel players of all times....I am also a good friend to Roger Blevins(steel player at the Baldknobbers in Branson) from Nixa Mo. Not to be a name dropper but I am good friends with Milton Quackenbush who now lives in Australia.(piano player,Steelplayer,Sax Player).Ron
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Nobody will talk to me.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Dick, ....Can't be as bad as that....
I'll talk to you! :o Always good to start with the small fry, and work your way up! :D