How many pedals will this run?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Victoria

How many pedals will this run?

Post by Ron Victoria »

I wired in a 350mA transformer into a daisy cable I had. Will this run say 3 Boss pedals? How will I know if I'm passing the limit?

thanks, Ron
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

You're okay with your proposed setup. I would still check the current draw of each pedal and just be sure.
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

Here's a link to the current draw of many common pedals.

http://www.cioks.com/assets/CURRENT%20C ... 0TABLE.pdf
Sonny Morris sjm227@hotmail.com
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

My pedals are under 50 draw. The only one I can't find is the MXR Phaser 90 but I bet that's also under 50. This is great, I can run all my pedals.

ron
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

It totally depends on the pedals. You could run a dozen or more low-draw pedals like a vintage phaser or distortion or compressor, but fewer pedals with digital DSP in them, like reverb or delay or digital chorus. Sonbone's chart is a fantastic tool!!! Gotta just do the math.

Brad
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Brad, I figure it takes around 50mA to run the Hilton pedal. There is something very "BIG" happening to power supplies. Everything is going to switching power supplies, because of many things. Cost of copper, weight, and the switching power supplies will run from just about any voltage or hertz. The important thing is that the new switching power supplies are regulated. The old transformers were "NOT" regulated and required a voltage regulator inside the product. For example: With a regulated switching power supply marked 12 volts DC, you get 12 volts DC when you measure the output with a multimeter. With a un-regulated power supply marked 12 volts DC, you get anywhere from 16 to 19 volts when you measure the output with a multimeter. Why? Because they expect you to regulate down to the 12 volts DC with a un-regulated power supply. Regulators usually require 3 or so volts over so they can regulate. If you plug in a newer 12 volt DC switching power supply into a device designed for a un-regulated wall wart, the device won't work, because it is not getting enough voltage. Before long all you will see is little switching power supplies. The old transformer is soon to be a thing of the past.