What Do You keep Your Picks and Tuning Wrench In?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

What Do You keep Your Picks and Tuning Wrench In?

Post by Stu Schulman »

I found these nylon containers at two stores near my house,Fred Meyers,and Safeway,They are $2.00 and a lot of stuff fits in it,tuning nuts,spring clips etc.They can be found in the travel section over by the small toothpaste,and shampoo.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Since the esteemed US medical system has seen to it that I'm forever hooked on an almost infinite number of medications, the up-side is that I have a constant supply of orange-hued see-through plastic bottles. They come in a number of sizes, so that's what I use.

Any residue in the phials will ensure that my picks and wrenches have low blood-pressure.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I use the container that a roll of 35mm film comes in. I can carry it right in my front pants pocket and I always have my picks with me........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Brian Rung

Post by Brian Rung »

Crown Royal bag for the smaller bottle, everything fits in there...had the same one since my senior year of high school...
Aspiring Hawaiian.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Here's my war bag. Hey Brian, I replace my bag a little more often than you do. :twisted:
Brian Rung

Post by Brian Rung »

My bag could use replacin', I've been off the CR since late in my teen years, drank to much of it too early, and you know the rest...anything Canadian/Blended is a little too "sharp" for me...

I discovered Woodford Reserve on a run through the southeast about 10 years ago and have kept a bottle around ever since...love that stuff...

I played with a drummer about 15 years ago that drank a handle of Canadian Hunter EVERY weekend...wonder if that guy is still alive?!
Aspiring Hawaiian.
Don Drummer

picks, wrenches...

Post by Don Drummer »

I've kept my stuff in a cardboard stomp box container that,s coverered in in places with duct tape. The extra picks are on the bottom seperated by the foam packing material on top of which are my picks. The box is always in my seat and hs been there for 30 years. Don D.
Zeke Cory

Draw Sack

Post by Zeke Cory »

I keep my stuff in a little leather draw sack, about 4 1/2 inches wide by 5 1/2 inches tall. They cost about $ 2.50 at our local leather shop. They wear out every couple years but are cheap to replace. Then ... It takes awhile to get them softened up again so they fold easily. But it works. lol.
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

Wow!!!!!!1 I had no idea that you could use other things. I thought it was "steel guitar law" that a Crown bag was to hold picks and bars!!! I don't drink the stuff but it sure makes for good storage. I learn something new every day. :lol: :lol: Greg
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'm surprised that someone enterprising in our steel guitar retail community hasn't come up with a well-designed solution to this.

I have a small bag with a zipper for my bar and my three favourite picks (only the spares go in the medicine bottles) that I 'stole' from my wife. The downside is that is has a somewhat feminine look to it.

Like my pink golf-shirts, however, I display it with all confidence....
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

On the guitar:- Slyde-Car and Pup from Dale Hansen. Nothing better, in my view.

Off the guitar:- everything - volume pedal, spare strings, tools, cords, Mothers metal polish, polishing cloths, Slyde-Car & Pup, wooden wedges (for tilting amp and holding doors open) etc - goes into an Irwin "Builders Bag" which has two separate zippered compartments as well as a bunch of interior and exterior pockets. It sits on the floor next to me, or somewhere nearby if I'm on-stage. Heavy duty dark-blue Cordura, and two convenient carrying handles make this a real "must-have" steel guitar accessory. Looks super-cool, works extra well. "Grab-n-Go" sort of thing. I got mine at the Australian equivalent of Home Depot (Bunnings, familiar to all us Aussies).
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I had a leather zippered pouch that my brother custom made to fit bar & picks with a side zippered pocket that held my wrenches and allen wrenches for the guitar. It finally fell apart after 30 or so years. Now I use the case that my glucose meter goes in. It has a pocket where my picks, small mag light and tuning wrench fit. Has a zippered pouch where tools go and an elastic loop that that bar fits into perfectly. It is nylon (I think) and has a zipper to keep it closed. Even has a velcro belt loop/clip on the back.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 29 Jan 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Hey, Richard - that's smart!

I have a couple of those meters (there's the medical profession to the rescue again!) and mine are a sort of nylon, and of quite substantial construction....

Maybe it's time to give my wife back her lilac/floral-patterned make-up bag!

Mike Poholsky

Post by Mike Poholsky »

Circa '75. Man, if I ever lost it, I might have to rethink the whole deal! LOL

Zumsteel 12 Universal
SGBB
ShoBud VP
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Clinton Erb

Post by Clinton Erb »

Uh... nothin'... :|
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Bought this at Knotts Berry Farm in 82' ... does the job nicely !

14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Brian Kurlychek

Post by Brian Kurlychek »

I'd be afraid to hang a bag off my tuners for fear of someone snagging it as they walk by and bending one or worse, it would most likely be me that did it. Doh!
We live to play another day.
Gary Stenulson

Post by Gary Stenulson »

I use an old medicine bag I got from an Indian friend...Even keep my medicine in it.... :lol:
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

George L makes a leather pouch, or used to. I've had a couple. The one I use now is a double zipper leather pouch that I got a couple years ago from someone on this here forum. Very nice. Just can't remember who from or if they still make them.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Glenn Boppre

Post by Glenn Boppre »

I use a small camera case. It's small I and put picks bar and the wrench in it
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I've got a little pick pouch that I got from the ISGC on the right side of my steel "Redgold Beauty", and for my bar, I've got a little bar holder that goes onto "Redgold Beauty's" right side.

Brett
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

A metal Altoids Mints box.

Holds a standard 7/8" bar, a wrench, and it keeps the picks from getting crushed in my gig bag.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I've got a little pick pouch that I got from the ISGC on the right side of my steel "Redgold Beauty", and for my bar, I've got a little bar holder that goes onto "Redgold Beauty's" right side.

Brett
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I just use an empty prescription plastic container that has a good screw-on lid on it. works very well and doesn't hurt your picks any or anything it may laying against in your seat.
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Crown Royal bag.
Nice and soft and easy on the bar finish.
It don't get any better.