About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Mayville

Nice

Post by Bill Mayville »

Peter.

That was very very nice.
So smooth!!!!!!
I wish that everyone will here you play.

Bill
Bill Mayville
06 Jackson Commemorative ,S 10
Black.For Sale . $18,000 Kidding
Jim Means

To Peter

Post by Jim Means »

Peter,
I just went to utube and listened to your Farewell Party and son you have more than just a couple of licks!:lol: And your tone was tremendous. :D

Please keep posting

Jim in Missouri
Musicians have to play.....They really have no choice
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Years ago before I ever lived over here I visited Jeff Newman for two weeks and paid him $1200 for lessons. That's all I needed; I have got that back many times over for gigs and also giving lessons. Because I am kindhearted I only charge $25 per hour.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Peter Nylund

Post by Peter Nylund »

Thank you Bill, thank you Jim
I know my playing is a bit pitchy, but at least my tone sucks
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

For an average player with average teaching skills you should pay an average fee. For an expert player with superior teaching skills you should pay a premium price. Guitar teacher fees cannot be compared to Steel Guitar teacher fees, apples and oranges, and a huge difference in available teachers.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Stephen Gregory wrote:For an average player with average teaching skills you should pay an average fee. For an expert player with superior teaching skills you should pay a premium price. Guitar teacher fees cannot be compared to Steel Guitar teacher fees, apples and oranges, and a huge difference in available teachers.
Depending on the student and how advanced or not advanced they are, An average teacher may not get the information across as well as a skillful teacher, thus the old adage " you get what you pay for" may apply. But it also depends on who is doing the paying, too, and their ability to absorb the information.
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

So... the student should choose the teacher, or professor based upon his or her's (the students), intellect, talent, and ability to pay? In that case would the teacher adjust their fee to the talent or lack of, for each student? I say not.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Stephen Gregory wrote:So... the student should choose the teacher, or professor based upon his or her's (the students), intellect, talent, and ability to pay?
Excuse me, I believe you didn't understand my reply. We ARE talking about steel teachers, right? Where did professors enter into this equation??
Last I heard, a student had to qualify to go to certain colleges and universities. Some students flunk out, no matter what they pay. So your point, sir?
Stephen Gregory wrote: In that case would the teacher adjust their fee to the talent or lack of, for each student? I say not.
Your implying that's what I'm saying--that's not what I'm saying at all. :roll:

I don't know about you, but if I'm paying for the lessons, it's of utmost importance that the teacher and I can relate reasonably well, or it's a big waste of time for the both of us. On the other hand, a teacher you can click with would be WORTH a bit more pay. Then again, you maybe limited in your are as to who is available to teach pedal steel guitar. Many factors to consider.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Of course, mathematically there's an average. Whaddaya want - arithmetic, geometric, median, mode? Just don't tell me "pie a la mode". :)

1. Not so easy to compute.
2. Not very relevant, since supply and demand by region, qualifications, desire to teach, desire to learn, and probably a bunch of other things will cause prices to vary a lot.
Guitar teacher fees cannot be compared to Steel Guitar teacher fees, apples and oranges, and a huge difference in available teachers.
Of course, supply is important, but so is demand. If there is zilch demand, it doesn't matter what the supply is.

My sense is that demand for "typical" steel guitar teaching services is reasonably elastic to price, like it is for most other "typical" music instruction. Yes, there are not a lot of steel guitar teachers - but in most places, there are also not a lot of steel guitar players, and there are now many substitutes for in-person teaching in the form of excellent video and written instruction, not to mention a wealth of online information, including this forum. I think this creates a pretty common perception among many players that in-person steel guitar teaching is not a necessity.

I don't doubt that there are some areas or particular teachers that defy this reasoning - such teachers would get all the students they want at their rate. Consider that really good and in-demand players generally have other sources of income, so teaching rates need to be competitive with rates for their other gigs.

I personally think that $40-60/hour is a bargain for a good steel guitar teacher, and I would fully expect to pay more - and perhaps significantly more - to work with a world-class teacher or player who had something special to offer.

My opinions, of course.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

I teach a lot more guitar than steel, mostly kids who are beginners, but some adults who are beginners, or who what to expand their horizons. I live in a small town in upstate New York, not the big city... All lessons are $12 per half hour, no matter what the instrument. Much higher, and I'd have fewer students...
A couple of years ago I spent a day (about 6 hours) with a Nashville pro player for $200. Wish I could afford to do it more often. It was worth every penny.
Larry J.