Lefty Frizzell Video

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Roger Shackelton

Lefty Frizzell Video

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Here 's a Lefty Frizzell video. He's singing 2 songs: "I Love You A Thousand Ways" and "I Want To Be With You Always".

Lefty Frizzell has been described as "The Ultimate Honky Tonk Singer."

I believe Curly Chalker played on a few of Lefty's earliest songs.

Does anyone know who played steel on this video clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZpinucn ... re=related

ROGER
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

His intuitive phrasing, note-choice and general all-around soulfulness is something you don’t hear much of these days . He was so original. It sounds like he influenced Gene Watson a lot.
Sonny Priddy

great

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Great Stuff Wish We Still Had That Kind Of Songs & Music. SONNY.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Roger, I don't know who played steel on this clip but when Lefty recorded, in July 1950, "I love you a thousand ways" in the old Jim Beck studios in Dallas the steeler was one Jimmie Curtis who also played on the Big D Jamboree in the old Ed Mclemore Sportatorium.

The steeler, in Jan 1951,on "Want to be with you always", was a friend of both Bobby Bowman and myself named C.B White. This song was also cut in the Jim Beck Studios. A favorite piano player to every band in the southwest at the time was one Madge Suttee was on both songs.

You are right about Curly being on some of Lefty's records. In May '51, he along with his bandleader at the time Blackie Crawford, was on the recordings of "How long will it take to stop loving you", "Always Late (1st time recorded)", "Mom and Dad's Waltz", "You can go on your way now" .

Curly recorded several times with Lefty in 1951 and then in 1952 Peewing Whitewing recorded two or three times with him. Most of this is in one of my old journals of that time era.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Doesn't sound like Curly at all. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe Hal Rugg.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Roger, I think the guy introducing Lefty in the beginning is Billy Walker. Larry sasser played steel on a lot of these shows, so maybe...?

Kind Regards, Walter
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

I don't think Lefty Frizzel got the recognition he deserved.
Max Williamson

Country Carnival

Post by Max Williamson »

Don!t remember who was on steel when Lefty was a guest,Bill Poe was the first Steeler, when he left
Sonny Burnette come aboard, best I can remember Jim Vest replaced Sonny after that I think Bobbe came in.I played bass on the first 16 shows.I remember Lefty being there at one time.Sorry i can!t be of more help.I!m having some Senior moments.Max