Knoxville Steel players...can you identify this player?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

George Kimery

Knoxville Steel players...can you identify this player?

Post by George Kimery »

I was in my late teens and attending the Knoxville fair around the early 60's. This was the first time I had ever seen or heard a pedal steel. I was playing guitar and some banjo, but this guy was what hooked me on the steel. I believe Lois Johnson was singing and they were playing outdoors along the lake. They were probably playing for a commercial exhibit. I don't think they were scheduled fair entertainers. The steel the guy was playing was a sunburst Fender. I have always wanted to know who this guy was. Possibly Walter Haines? I would like to either have somebody to thank or to cuss, depending on what day you ask me.
Gordon Sharp

Knoxville steel players can you identify this player

Post by Gordon Sharp »

Looks like Robert Randolph to me George,just kidden. Gordon Sharp Kingston Tenn.
Stoney Stonecipher

Post by Stoney Stonecipher »

I was around during that time and I played quite a bit with Lois Johnson --- I owned a dual 8 Fender and then a Fender 1000, but I never owned a Sunburst Fender, so I guess it wasn't me. Of course you remember that my band (The Kountry Kings) played all around Chilhowee Park during the Fair for WIVK. The only guy I know that would kinda meet that criteria was Harvey Reynolds - he played a Sunburst allright, but it was a Gibson Console Grand. Sorry I couldn't help any more.
Mac McGhee

Post by Mac McGhee »

I see no pics of this individual. However, in the time period your are talking about was no doubt Larry Cooper.Larry played in the area alot. He was from Danridge northeast of Knoxville. Also, he played in his younger days for Tennessee Earny Ford and on two 12 years under contract with Chet Akins. Roy Wiggins and Larry were great buddies. His family was also kin to Leon McCaliffe (spelling). Leon was the one who taught him a bunch. Larry graduate form U of Arkanas majoring in music. He also plays everything he picks up. He lives in Garland, Tx. Larry played all around Knoxville. Fairs and anything else he could get a gig with. He played in Nashville for along time.
Mac McGhee

Post by Mac McGhee »

BTW, I forgot to say I'm from Bristol, kingsport, Johnson City area. When I was a kid I worked on alot of the farms around, and around Limestone I worked on a dairy farm helping milk. Hated it and at 17 I hit the road to freedom (Gene Watson) 21 years Air Force and figured out God had made Texas so this is where I live......
Bob Guichard

Knoxville steeler

Post by Bob Guichard »

In the mid sixties Fred Wallace was active in the Knoxville area. His day job was at the university in the maintenance department. Built pedal steel in his spare time. Anyone else remember him or know if he is still with us.
Bob
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

They was another man by the name of Guy Peeler and went by the nick name (Peppy Jo) around Knoxville in the 60's & 70's and I lived in Oak Ridge at the time.
Peppy played with Bonnie Lou & Buster on their TV show along with my old friend David West on Banjo.
Peppy also built pedal steel guitars called the Peppy Jo. one of these guitars was my first guitar.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
George Kimery

Knoxville Steel Players....can you identify this steeler

Post by George Kimery »

Thanks for all the information, but I stil can't be sure who it was for sure. If some of the people mentioned are still alive and can be contacted, that would probably answer the question. I know it was not Peppy Jo. Peppy and Garland Nash did a lap steel set at the Bristol show a few years ago and brought the house down. I think Peppy was in his eighties, at least. I know Garland is no longer with us, but I don't know about Peppy. If he is, he has got to be 90 at least.