ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Anyone heard from Greg Jones? I have emailed and no
reply.
Billy Knowles

email

Post by Billy Knowles »

I would try again, Greg usually answers his email.
Billy
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Greg has contacted me. Thanks Billy
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Hey Guys, I'm looking for a little help, my 5th string B change goes sharp after hitting the A pedal a couple of times. The string returns to an open B, but the C# goes sharp. Thanks, Joe
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Well Joe. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only solution to your problem is to return the ZB in question to Florida. See, you have what is known as, in ZB vernacular, a "humidity friendly" ZB. It can only thrive in the humidity that prevails about 20-25 miles west of Daytona and New Smyrna Beaches. Just pack it up and send it back. I'll even split the shipping with you 'cause I'm such a nice guy.
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
basilh

Post by basilh »

Dave Van Allen

great picture Baz

Post by Dave Van Allen »

who is the gentleman in the photo Basil?
basilh

Post by basilh »

Dave, it's Jim Pritchard the organiser of the BlueBird Steelies Club

For more info: Jim 01202-840382 or 07779 851569

Venue: Bluebird Social Club, Longham, Dorset.
John Fox

Post by John Fox »

Dear Larry C. and ZB guys,

I'm new here, but I saw this thread some weeks ago, and was interested.

I found a stray Beck Musical Instruments S-10 with a Beck decal, not a ZB. I don't know how old it is. Is it OK to post about it here, or am I out of line? If so, sorry, but I wanted to help, and to learn anything more. Thanks for any news, and I hope this is of interest.

It is brown/woodgrain on its formica plates, and has 3 pedals and 3 knee levers (no "D" or second string change, but the third knee raises string 1 to G and lowers 5 to F#). It was in Pensacola, Florida, and needed to be played. It has serial number "SER 711" stamped in its aluminum frame, under the endplate near the springs, and it's not as shiny and pretty, perhaps, as so many of the pictures here, but after a very fine Virginian steel repair man re-arranged its rodding (switched A and C?), it sounds pretty darned good, even to a beginner.

Thanks,
John Fox
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Same guy (Zane Beck), different companies (Zane's gone but BMI is still a going concern), radically different mechanics. Both are great-sounding, although ZB's are regarded (along with early Emmonses and Sho-Buds) for ultimate-classic tone. (I'll let the smalll roster of Bigsby psg owners argue the place of their instruments on the ultimate-tone ladder.) BMI's are reliable, uncomplicated, great-sounding and one of the best values out there at the usual used prices. There are a couple of current (10/8) threads running about Kevin Hatton's re-creations of classic ZB's with modern mechanics.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Duncan Hodge wrote:Well Joe. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only solution to your problem is to return the ZB in question to Florida. See, you have what is known as, in ZB vernacular, a "humidity friendly" ZB. It can only thrive in the humidity that prevails about 20-25 miles west of Daytona and New Smyrna Beaches. Just pack it up and send it back. I'll even split the shipping with you 'cause I'm such a nice guy.
Duncan
Sorry Duncan, Greg was able to talk me through the problem and make the proper adjustments. It's staying in San Diego.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

If anyone needs to replace their tone/volume knob I just got one here :http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=008
and am pretty happy with it . It has a locking screw unlike some of the push on type .
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Well Joe, I guess that Greg had a solution, of sorts, to your problem. I really like Greg and have always found him to be extremely helpful and an honorable man. I'm surprised that Greg failed to discuss with you the dangers of actually turning over a ZB and (gasp!) attempting to work on it. This is especially if you attempt the potentially life-threatening act of "crimping". There are many, many sharp edges that could be launched in a projectile fashion that in all probability would PUT YOUR EYE OUT, or even worse give you a small cut. While a small cut may not seem so bad to some I remind you, because I consider you a friend, that any cut, especially in a place that has low humidity like say, San Diego, would statistically make you and candidate for the deadly MRSA, or even worse VRSA. If this had occurred you most definitely would have had to undergo a painful and demoralizing amputation of the necrotic limb. Worst case scenario...you have your left hand removed and would have to hold the bar with your nose. As any feebleminded and seriously deranged person, and I assure you that I speak from personal experience on the subject of feeblemindedness and serious derangement, barring with your nose is extremely difficult. Best case scenario, you wake up in the hospital missing your right arm. This outcome is tolerable because, after all, you can pick with a nose.
My friend, you received a serious blessing in that you were not horribly mutilated and disfigured undertaking this suicidal path. In the future, I beg of you to not attempt to work on your ZB again. It is just safer to return it to Florida where we can rest easy and the global financial markets can finally return to stability.
With Great Concern...Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

Hi,I thought this may be helpful.......

Sometimes we start projects and then get side stepped! Consequently forgetting where everything goes! For those in that position on ZB's. If the type is not clear email me and I’ll send the larger file! Regards to all… Bob

Last edited by Bob Adams on 9 Nov 2008 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Post by Paul Frank Bloomfield »

Hi Guys
just read through this thread and it jogged my
memory about a suggestion I came up with some
time ago regarding perhaps,a combined project,
mainly by messers,Greg Jones,Kevin Hatton,Larry
Chung on a ZB manual. Now this would not be an
instant way to convert us mere mortals into experts
just a sort of Haines Manual they do for cars so we
can put simple things right, I know they do one for
Fender Stratocasters !
Any thoughts on the subject, I know I would be first in the queue to purchase one !!
All the best
Frank. Corfu
" The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you've finished "
ZBSD-10,ZB D-11/10, Franlin Tele,Epiphone customised Les Paul, 'Fender pro 185 amp.
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

Good Idea Frank....I would be intersted in that also.... any takers!! :D
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

Z.B.UMP
Ben Elder

One-eyed doubleneck steel picker from Saint Louie Mizzouie

Post by Ben Elder »

No personal stake in this (not to say I won't be tempted to bid):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZB-Pedal-Steel-Guit ... 240%3A1318

And a bit of background as to the name on the case:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 4ef0146b43
"Gopher, Everett?"
Russ Tkac

Zb D-11

Post by Russ Tkac »

My friend Jeff doesn't post so here is his ZB D-11 that Greg Jones just finished! Pretty sweet!

Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Russ thanks for the pics. She is a beauty. Greg has
my Scranton now and I am having ZB withdrawals and the only cure is a nice long slide under and pick.
Man Greg does great work.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

TTT

Larry
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

BUMP!!!
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

I'll give the ZB thread a bump with a pic of my new ZB volume pedal w original Allen Bradley pot. Low profile and very comfortable. ZB pedals use a gear instead of a string. Sounds like a million bucks with my ZB SD-10. I am now a full fledged ZB nutcase! :P
Last edited by Mike Shefrin on 10 Jan 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

Ah! that brings back memories! wish I still had my old ZB pedal from the 70's.....I restored John Roche's D10 taking it to an SD10 in the process(to which there was a considerable response good and bad but let's not go back over that) I have been asked a number of times can we hear it now, well here it is the pics are just a few general shots of the ZB and some of the ELGIII as I haven't aspired to video yet and this is the only thing I have put on utube but the sound 'IS the ZB'

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlIYT4qvZU

I'm sure you'll let me know if you don't like it!

Regards to you all from Scotland on your big day! Bob
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Thats it. The ZB sound. That is exactly why I no longer play any other brand. If anyone wants one call me. I am building (2) SD-10's right now, one in black with the same checkered inlay on that guitar. www.retrosteelguitar.com