CruzTone for test

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Colin Alder

CruzTone for test

Post by Colin Alder »

I've threatened to do this before so here it is. I have a tester CruzTone that I will loan out. This is just for northern California for now. I will set you up with the previous tester. All I ask that you arrange the transport to the next person on the list. Keep it for a couple of weeks, gig it, show it around, then take it to the next person. It's in Fremont right now. It's an 8 string with legs and the single convertible pickup.

Send me an email if you're interested. 8)

Fontaine Burnett

Cruztone Jones!!!

Post by Fontaine Burnett »

Hi Colin,

If you ever decide to do the loaner program in Europe, put my name at the top of the list. Those cruztones look so sweet! And from what I've heard they sound great as well. :D

FB
www.fontaine-burnett.de
www.myspace.com/fontaineburnett

"...when it hits, you feel no pain!"
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the idea behind the extra-wide fretboard? Some kind of parallax-error thing, or...?
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I think it's supposed to be a stylistic tip-o-the-hat to the Gibson UltraTone like this one http://bn.craigslist.org/msg/974600149.html although it sure don't sound like one. It sounds more like a long scale Ricky on steroids. I'd say to anyone who wants to try something that gives a Stringmaster,MSA Superslide,Sierra lap steel or anything else of that ilk a run for its money tonewise - get in line for this demo offer.
Colin Alder

Post by Colin Alder »

what's the idea behind the extra-wide fretboard?
When I took on the project of designing the CruzTone, I wanted to make a instrument with world class beauty, and tone to match the most sought after vintage steels. I worked with Rick Turner, Jason Lollar, Rick Aiello, Mike Johnstone and Chas Smith because my research told me that they had the expertise, experience and knowledge to know what materials, and components would give the best tone and playability. That part really worked. Further feedback from Steve Kimock and Patti Maxine was invaluable.

I researched the designs of vintage steel guitars and finally picked the Gibson Ultratone as the design jumping off place for my own steels. I've incorporated the vintage Art Deco shape of the Ultratone into the CruzTone. Maybe it's not for everyone, but i really like it. So the answer to your question is,,,it's pretty, it pays homage to a classic. I like it.
It's SSSSexy to me!!!
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I'd be honored to take you up on this offer, Colin.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Colin Alder

Post by Colin Alder »

Hi Brad,
That's great!!. I've got two testers in the bay area ahead of you. It looks like I'll be having Mark Eaton bring it to you after his test drive. After that I'll be looking to leapfrog it down the state. Then maybe it can circulate LA and San Diego areas for awhile. I'm trying to do the whole thing without a big packing and shipping kinda thing :D :D :D
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Brad and I can meet up after my turn is over, as long as he is willing to pay the six bucks to get back across the Golden Gate Bridge! ;-) :lol:
Mark
Ray Langley

Post by Ray Langley »

I would like to try the instrument for a few days before it goes south....

I'm in Sacramento. I have a Rondo and a Morrell. They both sound bad to my ears. My Variax 300 with a raised nut sounds greatly superior to either of my cheap lap steels.

It would be nice to experience the sound of a quality instrument. I have a Gibson Century from the 1950's that I would like to trade for a modern steel.
Jamie O'Connell

Post by Jamie O'Connell »

I have a feeling someone is not going to want to give it back :) I love mine!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Add me to the list as well, Colin. Thanks.
Dave Bader

Post by Dave Bader »

I just checked out two CruzTone demos on You Tube that where really sweet. I love the tone of the two pickup model. Very versatile and unique sounds in each of the pickup positions. Some lucky person will be having a lot of fun for a couple of weeks.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I'm pretty excited to have my turn with it, and this is such a cool thing Colin is doing, being able to have the guitar for a couple of weeks so you can really get to know the instrument and be able to decide if want to get the funds lined up to place an order.

I love the look of the thing, and I have thought for years that the Gibson Ultratone may be the coolest looking lap steel in the history of the instrument, and its a shame that the sound never measured up to some of the other steel guitars going down through history.
Mark
Colin Alder

Post by Colin Alder »

Gibson Ultratone may be the coolest looking lap steel in the history of the instrument
I'm sayin! 8) 8) 8)
George Piburn

edit

Post by George Piburn »

edit
Last edited by George Piburn on 21 Jun 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Good idea George!
But don't worry - there'll be plenty of pizza to go around . .

Colin, you're invited!
Non Pedal Session
TSGA Jamboree
Colin Alder

Post by Colin Alder »

George and Rick,
Thank you so much for this invitation. I'm a definite maybe. It really sounds like fun and I'd love to meet so many of you that I only know through postings on the Forum. Things on the old day job scene have been a bit slow of late though. And I have made a promise to a very beautiful woman that I would not increase the family debt load if it was in any way in my control. Tell me you would want to disappoint this woman. Plus she's a power lifter and can totally kick my a**.

Hey, I know. Maybe TSGA could ask congress for a bailout. We won't fly there in our private jets though. Out of all those 100's of billions there ought to be a few million for steel guitar makers and players, right?
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Colin, she's a babe - no doubt about it.
But if you came to the TSGA Jamboree, maybe you could drum up some business.
After all, your target demographic will be right there - all in one room, eating pizza and living large.
We'll have amps and PA right there - you could demo your guitars for them.
And since she's a power lifter, she could even tote your gear.
Sounds like a win win to me . . :)

And I absolutely agree - Congress should cut loose a few measly millions for Steel Guitar Builders and Players.
It seems only fair . .
James Williamson

Namm Museum of Making Music

Post by James Williamson »

Saw your Cruz Tone Horsehoe at the Museum of Making Music Lap Steel exhibit in Carlsbad CA today....

Looked really cool...do you have any of those left?

james
Colin Alder

Post by Colin Alder »

Hi James,
Yeah, I was psyched to have the NAMM museum ask for a CruzTone to put in the show. The steel on display is my two pickup 6 string with the Rick Turner "Farrier's"
p'up. This is built here in Santa Cruz using a modern pickup coil with magnets inside. It is mounted with chrome plated steel "shoes". The shoes are passive, not magnetized, but they definitely concentrate and focus the magnetic field. They contribute to both the tone and the look of the instrument. This is a powerful hi-fidelity pickup that goes from Sweet Chimesville to Growl Town with stops at both Bite and Twang stations along the way. I have backstock of the Farrier's pickups and a commitment from Rick to supply them to CruzTone in the future. In both the 6 and 8 string I use a Lollar Chicago Steel pup at the neck position.