Looking for albums with LOTS of steel playing

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wayne Appleby

Post by Wayne Appleby »

Real country on the CD LET THE DANCE BEGIN by Jean Stafford with Lloyd Green and the late John Hughey all over it, produced by the Late Jimmie Crawford with Russ Hicks on Rhythm & Tic-Tac.
Recorded 2004 in Nashville with the original A team

For some sound clips check http://www.nashvillemusicpros.com/profile/JeanStafford

Wayne

Jean & Lloyd in studio (2 good friends)
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

justin trevino "scene of the crying" and "singing traveling man" awesome steel from end to end on both
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Great Steel playing by Tommy Hammum on the John England albums, especially on the most recent album. Just good Western Swing.
Ashley D\'Silva

Post by Ashley D\'Silva »

Peter

Anything by Buck Owens or Ray Price. These are what made me love country.

Ashley
David C Neal

Post by David C Neal »

Glen,

Why not try Jimmie Crawford's "Ton Of Steel" Or try Steel Crazy" If that ain't dripping with steel guitar enough for you I don't what would be...

David C Neal
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

I love the way Weldon was playing during the early '70's, but as far as I can tell these records are out of print and not re-issued on CD. I would be happy to pay or trade for copies burned to a CD.

Dick Curless "The Last Blues Song"
Connie Cato "Super Connie Cato"
Wanda Jackson "Country Gospel"

Thanks in advance,

Peter Freiberger
PFrei900@sbcglobal.net
Ron Deardorff

Post by Ron Deardorff »

Any of Billy Keeble's CD's (CDBaby) are just drippin' with great twang and honk, some of the consistantly best I've heard (by the previous poster Steve Hinson, if memory serves me). Also the Hoyle Brothers git it up there hard n' honky. And I'm particularly partial to Justin Trevino's "Loud Music And Stong Wine" CD.
John Robel

Post by John Robel »

corn pickin and slick slidin (james burton and ralph mooney >:-) >:-) hot stuff!!!
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Buddy and Danny Gatton,Redneck Jazz,not country but Both guys play their butts of one this one. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

Ashley D'Silva wrote:Peter

Anything by Buck Owens or Ray Price. These are what made me love country.

Ashley
You got 'er! 8)
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Let's not forget anything from George Jones or George Strait. They both have a lot of steel in their songs. I have Strait in concert before and he puts on one heck of a show. Especially when sings those Texas swing songs, like Milk Cow or Take Me Back to Tulsa :D
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

Buck Owens - Up through about 1968 is saturated with great steel playing by first Ralph Mooney, a few with Jay McDonald, then Tom Brumley. The albums I recommend are: You're For Me, Harlan Howard, Dust on Mothers Bible, Best of Buck Owens, vols 1, 2, and 2.

Freddy Weller, circa 1969/70 had a nice album "Games People Play" with Red Rhodes all over it, heavy.

So many records, so little time.
Steeless.
Ronnie Miller

Post by Ronnie Miller »

Daryl Singletary "Thats Why I Sing This Way" with Mike Johnson..It is traditional country music, with a current sound. Very well produced, and they let the players play..
The mix (for me) is perfect.
cya....Ronnie
P>S> Also Brad Pasley's albums, again it is Mike Johnson (on most). For me some cuts are a little over the top on guitar, but the steel is stellar.
Jerry Dragon

Post by Jerry Dragon »

Rusty Young on Poco's "Deliverin" CD.
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

Thanks again for all the replies. There is a real wealth of stuff here for me to check out. I just recieved the Miss Leslie And The Juke Jointers cd in the mail yesterday. Great stuff! this is the type of country music that we need to have back. Loaded with great steel playing by Ricky Davis.
I also recieved the double album Jimmy Day cd in the mail. That one is next on my playlist.
Alan Harrison

Great Steel Work!

Post by Alan Harrison »

I'm not sure who the steel'r is on this CD since I don't have the cover with me, but Gene Watson's " A Way To Survive" is great. If a CD can be worn out from being played, this one would be very thin. alan
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
John Lemieux

Post by John Lemieux »

Glen check 2 cd,s by Al Briscoe at Steel guitars Canada 100% pure steel
music is the spice of life
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Buddy Emmons is on a lot of Johnny Bush's recordings: unmistakable. A great place to listen to the Master.
Ray McCarthy

Post by Ray McCarthy »

How about the unmistakeable Bobbe Seymore? "Pure Country Steel", "Steel Guitar Classics", "Soulful Steel"--three off the top of my head that are great, creative stuff!
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

`Charley Pride, Live At Panther Hall.` It's a freak of production where the steel is too loud and the guitar is too quiet. Suits me fine, as the steel is what I wanted to hear. Oh, yes. Almost forgot. It's Lloyd Green on steel.

Arch.
I'm well behaved, so there!
Ray Montee

WHAT specifically are you seeking?

Post by Ray Montee »

Glen.....in you quest to obtain albums 'dripping with steel guitar'...

WHAT ARTISTS, are you looking for?
WHAT Style of steel, are you wanting?
WHAT kind of steel, pedal or non-pedal?
What are you gonna use this music for, LEARNING or just listening and enjoying?

THIS would help.............
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Fer starters...

Ben Edmonds

Post by Ben Edmonds »

Jay Dee on Safe at Home by the international submarine band, I also think John Hughey on Willie's Phases and Stages is awesome
Gerald Menke

Post by Gerald Menke »

Funny how Jay Dee is mentioned so often in this thread, I recently found a clean vinyl copy of Herb Pedersen's album from 1984, "Lonesome Feeling", on the Sugar Hill label. Man, you all must hear this record, Jay Dees's playing is absolutely out of this world, on every single cut.

The record is beautifully recorded, and the steel tone is like it's coming straight out of the clouds on sunbeams.

Buddy Emmons' playing on Bobby Bare's records is excellent, and I think any recommendation list must include Dire Strait's "On The Night" video of a concert from around 1993, it's a must see. Paul Franklin burns it up on just about every song, and it has what I think may be the definitive steel solo of all time, his break in "Walk of Life".

Couldn't imagine life without the steel playing on just about any Alan Jackson album, "Drive", "What I Do", "Everything I Love", just to name a few.

Without a doubt "Sweetheart" and "In Person" are in my top 10, would also recommend Bruce Kaphan's album "Slider". Not country, but a very unique and beautiful take on what the steel can do.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Gary Stewart's "Live at billy Bob's" It has been mentioned often here on the Forum. Steve Palousek all over it..... and way up front in the mix