Help with a Sho-Bud

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Ives

Help with a Sho-Bud

Post by Jim Ives »

Okay,
I have a 6139 that even Jim Palenscar could not get working right for me. I'd like to "gut" it and put in all new non Sho-Bud parts and mechanism, but I do not know who to turn to.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Jim
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Call John Coop or Ricky Davis...........
Bari Smith

Yep!!!

Post by Bari Smith »

That's what I was athinkin!!!!!!!Can't go wrong there.....bettern new! :D
SHO-BUD LDG(Cooperized),MULLEN RP SD-10,Webb 614E,'73 Vibrosonic,Mesa-Boogie Pre,Stewart 1.2,TC Electronic M-300,JBL's,Black Box,Walker Seats'84 Dobro,'69 Martin D-28,and assorted other goodies!
Tim Woodall

Post by Tim Woodall »

Absolutely....can't go wrong with those guys...
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
Sho-Bud 6139 Ricky Davis overhauled with Coop parts
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

Hi Jim...
Another idea for you. I have been playing my SuperPro exclusively for a couple of years. The big secret is that Chuck Back gutted the bottom of it, and used all Desert Rose Parts...so I call it my RoseBud!! He is much closer for you...and he will be at the Arizona SWSGA show where you can talk to him about it....hope to see you there!

Billy Easton
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I've played Billy's RoseBud, and it really is sweet.
Just about the smoothest SuperPro I've ever played.
Jim Ives

Post by Jim Ives »

ttt
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Jim,
I feel you may have cast aspersions on Jim Palenscar's ability with your first sentence :(

When you say 'working right for you', do you mean that there is a mechanical problem with the steel, or just that the leverages etc are not to your liking?

I don't know if your steel has the 'rack and barrel' system, if so then it is not so easy to get leverages as comfortable as a modern steel.
Jim Ives

Post by Jim Ives »

Richard,
Absolutely no aspersions on Jim's work whatsoever. That is why I wrote "even Jim Palenscar ..." He told Mike Perlowin that he was not entirely pleased with the results, and that is that. I think the mechanism on this old 6139 was just too far gone.
Also, I play a Mullen, and am not a particularly strong musician, so my guitar has to be a lot more forgiving than most.I have been spoiled by my Mullen.Jim told me it would never play like a Mullen.
Jim if you are reading this, we talked about this when I brought the guitar into the shop, and if you are offended by what I wrote, I apologize.
-Jim