hollowneck tentative upload...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Chris Drew

hollowneck tentative upload...

Post by Chris Drew »

Hi All.

Just letting you know that after a long while "on the backburner" I've finally got round to uploading a tentative "beta"/testing version of the "hollowneck.com" website...

This has been a "labour of love" so to speak, just a way to give something back to an instrument (hollowneck) and style of playing (acoustic steel) that have brought me so much pleasure and "inner peace" since I stumbled upon it just over 2 years ago.
( Yep, I'm still a beginner! )

Sincere gratitude goes out to those who have helped out by contributing content for this endeavour - it's very much appreciated!

I've tried to gather together stuff which I've found over the last couple of years that I'd find useful or interesting if I was just starting out again.
Please bear in mind that there's still much more material to add & tweaks to be made to text etc, but if you get the time please have a look & maybe let me know what you think, so that I can make improvements!

It's here: www.hollowneck.com

Enjoy!
( & thank you SGFers! )

Chris.
Dean Gray

Post by Dean Gray »

Hey Chris, well done on "Hollowneck.com". It must have taken many, many hours to put all that info together! I especially like the way the hand/bar slides down the strings when you scroll the menu!

I just had a quick look over the site, and will return once the kids are asleep....you know how it is.

Cheers mate
The more I learn, the less I know!
Roger Palmer

Post by Roger Palmer »

Great site Chris...well done

Makes me want a hollowneck even more!

One day I'll have one...maybe I'll make it my new years resolution.

I tried to get one of those $99 weissenborns from ebay but they dont ship to the UK :(
Chris Drew

Post by Chris Drew »

Hey Roger, I was sure that they ship to the UK so I just checked on ebay & they do ship to the UK via USPS Priority Mail International...
£67.72 for the guitar, £53.01 for the shipping.
Still a bargain I reckon.

Go on, join the club!
Hey, I'll even do you a custom fretboard! ;-)
Jason Dumont

Post by Jason Dumont »

What a great Job!
I love the pick on the front page :)
Roger Palmer

Post by Roger Palmer »

Cheers Chris...I'll check it out
Chris Drew

Post by Chris Drew »

Cheers Jason!
The compliment means a lot coming from a fellow Bristolian, hehe! 8)

I'm resisting the urge to keep checking the guestbook for comments while I'm at work! :wink:

Just out of interest, did you check the Aloha Dream Magazine article about the importance of "The Bristol Sessions"?
( Bristol,Tennessee that is, not old Bristol,UK! There's a lot of Bristols! )
Basil has posted the article before on this forum I think, it makes for an interesting read & gives an insight into the influence that Hawaiian music had on "American Folk" music in the early 20th century which became what we now know as Country,Blues,Bluegrass et al.
Roger Palmer

Post by Roger Palmer »

well Ive ordered one

I'll let you know about the fretboard Chris once it arrives
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Excellent job, Chris. I went through the whole thing and thoroughly ejoyed it!
Ray Langley

Post by Ray Langley »

Congratulations, Chris! I'll be a frequent visitor.
Ed Altrichter

Maybelle Carter played steel guitar ? ??

Post by Ed Altrichter »

Wow ! That's fascinating ! Does anyone know where I can find copies of those recordings ?
Eric Barker

Post by Eric Barker »

Chris,

Well done! I really enjoyed the site and the fact that it was easy to navigate and even seems optimized for Safari. :D

Keep up the good work.

Eric
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Great site Chris! This is a great Weissenborn resource and I think it will grow into the Weissenborn site once people start discovering it - well done!

8)

Fred

(And thanks for featuring me in the "folks" section - it is an honour!)
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Chris, I first bought a Radio Tone about 15 or more years ago from Music Inn in NYC. I didn't know what to make of it, but tuned it up and enjoyed it just the same. I even recorded a few Cajun style pieces with it way back when, and this is before I'd really devoted any time to playing steel guitar. I had a lot of fun with it. Now, it hangs like a prop in my studio. It's one with the friction pegs and a tailpiece.

Good job on the web site.
Chris Drew

Post by Chris Drew »

Mike Neer wrote:Chris, I first bought a Radio Tone about 15 or more years ago from Music Inn in NYC. I didn't know what to make of it, but tuned it up and enjoyed it just the same. I even recorded a few Cajun style pieces with it way back when, and this is before I'd really devoted any time to playing steel guitar. I had a lot of fun with it. Now, it hangs like a prop in my studio. It's one with the friction pegs and a tailpiece.

Good job on the web site.
Hey Mike, glad you like the site!

Do you still have any recordings you made with your Radio-Tone?
Anything like that ( & pics ) would make a sweet addition to hollowneck.com! 8)
Chris Drew

Re: Maybelle Carter played steel guitar ? ??

Post by Chris Drew »

Ed Altrichter wrote:Wow ! That's fascinating ! Does anyone know where I can find copies of those recordings ?
I reckon try asking Anthony Lis if he can help you out with sourcing these ( try via Basil Henriques ) :)
Vince Luke

re: Maybelle Carter

Post by Vince Luke »

According to Mike Seeger in Guitar Styles of the Carter Family: Taught by Mike Seeger with Janette Carter from Homespun Video Maybelle Carter played in several distinct styles including Hawaiian, which she played on "the same wooden, not resophonic, guitars that were used on their other recordings."

Recordings in her Hawaiian style include:
Little Darling, Pal of Mine (May 1928)
Meet Me in the Moonlight, Alone (May 1929)
Sweet Fern (Feb 1929)
Foggy Mountain Top (Feb 1929)
Western Hobo (Nov 1929)
When the World's on Fire (May 1930)

Hope that helps--I couldn't find the reference to her on the hollowneck website, so sorry if this is redundant!

Great site, though, Chris! I look forward to reading through more completely, but I like the incorporation of history, instruction & great photos.

Vince