Post by Donny Hinson »

What each one nets would be a lot more interesting, I think. :mrgreen:
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Eric West wrote:
Hmm..

No Dixie Chicks?

They were not on the road in 2008.
I think they were busy getting d-i-v-o-r-c-e-d.
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

What each one nets would be a lot more interesting, I think.
I agree. It's the net for the Swiss accounts, don't you know!
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Interesting that the only current artists on that list are modern country - Chesney and Rascal Flatts.

By "current" artists, I mean artists who are not from an earlier musical era. In other words, all the other 8 are basically "oldies" shows - their heyday was 20 years ago or earlier.
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Looking at the sales data, it looks like the old acts are having their hayday now...?
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I stand by my statement - IMO, the musical heyday for these other acts was 20 years ago or earlier.

hey⋅day  /ˈheɪˌdeɪ/ [hey-dey] –noun
1. the stage or period of greatest vigor, strength, success, etc.; prime: the heyday of the vaudeville stars.
2. Archaic. high spirits.

Now, payday may be a different story. ;)
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Hey - wait a second - I thought nowadays the Eagles and Bon Jovi are characterized by the label "assigners" to be crossover country acts!
Mark
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Hey - wait a second - I thought nowadays the Eagles and Bon Jovi are characterized by the label "assigners" to be crossover country acts!
That doesn't change my statement. I simply said that the only two acts "in their heyday" are modern country. That doesn't imply anything about the other 8 acts - except that they are not, IMO, "in their heyday".

I think it's hard to argue that today is the heyday of either the Eagles or Bon Jovi.

What does all this mean? To me, it means that except for modern country, most of the really, really big shews are for nostalgia. Maybe it's the dearth of decent "new" music in the mainstream, or maybe it's just that middle-aged to older people are the ones with the stupid money for stupid ticket prices.

I know one thing - the only one on that list remotely interesting to me is Springsteen.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Toby Keith?
Marlin Smoot

Toby Keith

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Singer Toby Keith has topped Forbes magazine’s list of the top-earning country music stars.

The Beer For My Horses hitmaker raked in an estimated 48 million dollars in 2007, according to the publication.

Forbes noted that Keith’s earnings were maximized with a major endorsement deal with Ford trucks, involvement in his I Love This Bar & Grill chain of restaurants and ownership of his record label, Show Dog Nashville.

Country trio Rascal Flatts landed in the second spot, with a 40 million-dollar 2007 haul, while Tim MCGraw came in third with earnings of 23 million dollars.

Kenny Chesney, Brooks + Dunn, Brad Paisley, Faith Hill, Keith Urban, George Strait and Alan Jackson rounded off the top ten country earners.

The highest-earning country stars are:

1. Toby Keith
2. Rascal Flatts
3. Tim MCGraw
4. Kenny Chesney
5. Brooks + Dunn
6. Brad Paisley
7. Faith Hill
8. Keith Urban
9. George Strait
10. Alan Jackson
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Ive heard of those people, but havent heard a single song by any of em. I wonder who listens to this stuff, who goes to these concerts? heck I dont even know where thse concerts would take place. do they play stadiums like rock bands? Its a completely alien world to me.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Dave Mudgett wrote:
That doesn't change my statement. I simply said that the only two acts "in their heyday" are modern country. That doesn't imply anything about the other 8 acts - except that they are not, IMO, "in their heyday".

I think it's hard to argue that today is the heyday of either the Eagles or Bon Jovi.
I should have used some emoticons to get my point across in jest Dave, I wasn't being serious.

Maybe the mood around Happy Valley a little bit toward the dour after the whuppin' the Nittany Lions took at the hands of the USC Trojans in the Rose Bowl. ;-)
Mark
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Maybe the mood around Happy Valley a little bit toward the dour after the whuppin' the Nittany Lions took at the hands of the USC Trojans in the Rose Bowl.
Nah - I teach here but went to college elsewhere. Unless it's the Red Sox, I don't get too excited about sports outcomes.

I think it has more to do with the fact that I'm such an anti-cheerleader on this subject. I really ceased being interested in the "music biz" when how much they were making, what they wore, and what dance steps they were doing completely overshadowed the music. I'm all for making money, but but I truly hope for a return to the basics for a musician making good money - making good music. I think the automobile companies are about to rediscover this simple reality or go under, and I hope it spreads.
heck I dont even know where thse concerts would take place. do they play stadiums like rock bands?
Yup, a lot of it's big arenas. Around here, that's the Bryce Jordan Center, which is Penn State's basketball arena - it's all mixed in with the rock and roll tours, circuses, kiddie shows, and sports & trade shows - like this list of past shows: Click here. Big country shows tend to do well here in the middle of rural central PA.

Cheers. :)
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Now, if only I could negotiate a much larger chunk of that...
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Travis you are the only reason I would even come see the Rascals ! That and a couple bucks will get you a cup of java
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

Hey Dave,
You are right about the acts at the Bryce Jordan Center. That reminds me, a few years ago when I was in town "Larry the Cable Guy" was there. He brought in tons of folks from the outlying areas such as Huntington, etc. But, I am not so sure he brought in a lot of residents from State College though :)
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I remember when Led Zeppelin and the Allman Brothers were pop artists, as in "popular" - they got at least part of their recognition for proficiency in playing their instruments. As did the Eagles, the E Street Band and the Police on that list, but somehow I doubt it matters anymore... I wonder how Brad Paisley and John Mayer really feel about gleaning their major rewards from their cheekbones & pandering to their lowest pop instincts.... probably just fine! :roll:

It's just a demographic bubble, we boomers took over the music industry and we won't let go until we're dead and buried, which will be soon enough anyway. None of those bands have any meaning to me (Springsteen's "sincerity" was wholly manufactured, and he doesn't even know it himself!) I feel sorry for my guitar students, cause their greedy parents have sucked up and regimented all the entertainment dollars - playing to the bedroom walls for the rest of your life, kiddies, while the Rolling Stones trundle out in their wheelchairs.
Chris Reesor

Post by Chris Reesor »

Deleted. Pointless blather. :roll:
Excel Superb U12, MIJ Squier tele, modified Deluxe Reverb RI, Cube 80XL, self built acoustics & mandolins
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Travis,
Heard you on the "People's Choice Awards" last night with RF! :)
Congrat's also go out to Carrie and Kid Rock! :)
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

:( What!!!! How about Jerry Hayes and the Hardees world tour? No Listing somethings wrong? :( Maybe if it was a Hooters tourOh well. :wink: