What is the oldest PEDAL steel you have ever owned? Lap?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

I was going to post my two Gibson EH-150's till I saw Chas Smith post. Man... some sweet axes there! Actually, there are so many steels I've never even knew existed. This is a nice thread.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

fender 1000, no idea on the date, checked under the tuning pans, nothing. just now getting it in playable condition. Man, there are some really cool guitars in this thread.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

'68 Fender T-8 Stringmaster.
Bud Harger

Here's my oldest...then and now!

Post by Bud Harger »

Bobbe,

This is a 1955 T-8 (1 floor) that was built for me by Harold Romero (fiddle builder) in New Iberia, Louisiana.

One pedal didn't give much range, but I could get the "Slowly" type lick and some effects, using an E-to-A6 change.

I still have it and it plays great.

Best personal regards,

bUd

Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

My first steel was a 1947 Harlan Bros. 6 string with 4 pedals. I still have it and actually have plans to bring it out of retirement, refurbish it a bit and use it again. I also have the early-mid 60's Fender 2000, which I have been playing regularly. My Sierra U12 doesn't have the same tone, and I cannot seem to play it as well as the Fender! Go figure.
Aaron Gemmill

Post by Aaron Gemmill »

late 48/49 br-9 lap and matching amp (roughly the same age)
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

In 1968, I got a Howard U12. I dont have any idea when it was made. I have had three MSAs before I got mad and quit. In l996, I bought a D10 Carter and I recently bought a 2003 Carter. I am taking the 1996 Carter to Bud today for modifications. The 2003 is waiting for me to pick it up. Can't hardly wait.
I can't remember the names of the lap steel that I owned but they were the cheapest you could get.
Harry C Clark

Post by Harry C Clark »

In 1965 I bought an 8-string Epiphone lap guitar which had been converted to a pedal steel by means of 5 levers at the nut end and 5 more at the pickup end. The levers were connected by chains (if you can imagine) to pedals mounted on 2 pieces of masonite.

Most of the strings broke with a high degree of regularity, and, having no rollers, it didn't stay in tune very well, but it had a fine tone.

I wish I had pictures of this contraption, but who could afford a camera in 1965?

Harry Clark
Kingston Springs, TN
James Kerr

Post by James Kerr »

Oldest Pedal Steel I have is a 1981 Springfield S10, built by myself (I owned the company)

My oldest Lap Steel is a 1954 Tiesco R1.

Both of these Guitars are a pleasure to play.

Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Hey Bobbe
The oldest guitar I have is an old Kay accoustic that was given to me by my parents when I was six years old as a present for completing swimming lessons. The oldest pedal steel is my 1984 Emmons P/P, that I purchased in back in 1998, The guitar was autographed by Buddy Emmons himself. The tone and quality are phenominal. I told my wife that when I die, I would like it sent back to the Emmons company for display in their office in Burlington.
I talked to Ms. Rebecca a while back about it. And I've been very, very, happy with it. :D
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

James Kerr wrote:Oldest Pedal Steel I have is a 1981 Springfield S10, built by myself (I owned the company)
Hey James that's a pretty nice looking steel you got there, my friend. :)

My oldest Lap Steel is a 1954 Tiesco R1.

Both of these Guitars are a pleasure to play.

Hey James, those are acouple of nice looking guitars
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

A '39 Rickenbacher (note spelling) Model 59. It was a completely rusted hulk when I got it; the rags inside that show through the holes as position dots were moldy and the tuners were destroyed. The amazing thing was that the pickup and both pots were absolutely fine - and I swear it must have ben underwater!

I did a light powder-blast on the body it to remove all rust, and since there was no way to restore it to original I stuffed it with red rages for position dots, painted it with a hammertone-green finish, tossed on some Gibson Klusons and away she goes! The tuners don't fit perfectly (the holes are a little close to the peghead and the buttons too close to the head as well) and I'll change them if I can even find something the right size...but from a pure playing standpoint it is a flat-out screamer and I get a lot of compliments on the look, even from the "vintage police".

...It matches years with my '39 Kalamazoo Archtop!
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional