Anyone in Europe know this Steel Player?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Hayes

Anyone in Europe know this Steel Player?

Post by Jerry Hayes »

A friend of mine sent me this photo of a German steel guitarist named Red Saxon. Does anyone know Red, or have any information about him, and is he on the Forum........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Hi Jerry,

Red Saxon has appeared at the ISGC a few times in the 1970s or 1980s.
It appears that he is still playing a Sho-Bud PSG. Scotty knows him well.

ROGER
Olaf Wiese

Post by Olaf Wiese »

Hi Jerry,
look here for further information...
http://www.drifters-caravan.de
Olaf
Andy Zahnd

Post by Andy Zahnd »

Red and his band backed up Dave Dudley in the german part of europe! A great steelplayer, great taste of playing and a great sense of homour! Have not heard him in the last 10 years... but Red and the all his band was hot.... allways , everywhere and good time party guys!!!!! Where he's living now? Is he still playing?
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Jerry,

I remember seeing his picture either in Winnies, or Scotty's instruction book years ago. He was behind a Sho~Bud.
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Andy Zahnd

Post by Andy Zahnd »

he allways played a red Sho-Bud Super Pro and sounded killer!!!!
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Olaf, I went to that website and pulled up some of the band pictures. On one there's a friend of mine named Jack Scudder. Jack lives in Newport News, Va. now and sings some with our band when we do the Moose Lodge over there. Also, my bass player (Don Yount) spent almost twenty years in Germany and played a lot with Jack. Did you ever know Don? Here's a shot of our group as he looks today......JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Olaf Wiese

Post by Olaf Wiese »

Jerry,
sorry, but i dont know Don Yount. Where he has lived in Germany? Maybe I've seen him, but i can't remember me. Otherwise it is with Jack. I've met him several times here in germany, but the last time is 21 years ago. How time flies!!!
Jack (and his wife Mo also) played in the band by Red Saxon, called Drifters Caravan. That was the band played with Dave Dudley here in Germany, like Andy has already says. At this time, I was often at the Dave Dudley concerts. A song by Dave, that I heard on the radio, brought me to country-music and later on pedal-steel. but this is another story...
I have found a few pictures from that time. If I had scanned the images, I send them.
(But Scanner out of work at this time :x )
Regards
Olaf