Do you have musical goals for '09?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Judson Bertoch

Do you have musical goals for '09?

Post by Judson Bertoch »

Mine:
Basics at my level, of course.
1)I'm pleased with my pick blocking success, stuggling with palm blocking so I need to focus harder there.

2)Keep up theory lessons. Actually ended up having great success going to a piano teacher for theory.

3) Watch certain You-tub videos and DVD courses once a week to stay aware of getting slopping with the bar. Sloppy can creep up on me.

4) Make progress with playing better by ear. I don't find this easy at all.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

1) Get a job
2) Forget #1
3) Work up my picking speed while maintaining accuracy
4) Put together a new recording set up to allow for some accompaniment and fleshing out arrangments
5) Buy a Turser 401 bass and mod to fretless, a Squier Classic Vibe Strat, more steels
6)Reconsider #1
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

No, no goals. That way, I might surprise even myself!
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Ron Whitfield

John...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

...just keep that camera rolling so we can enjoy those surprises!
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Finish the CD that's been on the shelf for over half a year.....
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

1. Continue studying jazz with Jimmy Bruno
2. Spend 2-3 days studying C6-jazz with Doug Jernigan
3. Record a live jazz album
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

09 is my 30th anniversary living on the fringe of the music bus, my aim is to release a compilation of all my works to date ( nine albums) a kind of 'best of. I,v had a tough year for various reasons and now I need to celebrate the fact that I have survived this long and still have a lot to offer, lap steel has given me a new impetus for learning and help provide me with new directions with regards to writing and creating music, my goal , to keep on surviving
Jason Dumont

Post by Jason Dumont »

I'd like to get out there and jam with my musician friends more rather than just staying home and playing with myself......

OMG did I say that out loud?
Ray Langley

Post by Ray Langley »

In the infamous words of Pepe L'Phew (a male cartoon skunk character), "We can make beautiful music together....."

I really want to do that! All my musical life, I have been a solo act. I tried to play the bass, the middle voices, and the melody using an acoustic guitar, in fingerpicking style(s), at the same time.

Now, using BIAB, I want to do something similar with the lap steel. As we become older and develop life-threatening diseases, our goals become shorter, in time.

My musical goals for 2008 were to play some lap steel blues with my brothers at our Xmas reunion. We did that!

My goal for 2009 is to play some beautiful love songs for my family reunion, at my place, in August, on a six-string lap steel.

If you want to join in, you are invited! Really!!!

It may sound kind of morbid for a New Year's message, but I would like to have that performance recorded and played at my funeral, and at several of my brother's funerals. Oh, and the blues will also be repeated, with mucho gusto. :lol: BTW, I have 10 brothers and sisters.
Josh Cho

Post by Josh Cho »

To Ray, I'd like to help you in any way that I can, please respond, PM or email and tell me exactly what you believe you need to fulfill your goals.

This ties in with one of my primary goals for 09: which is to do more to help other people in the best way that I know how, which is music, and in turn I hope this makes the world a better place, I believe music can do that...

My other primary goal for 09 is to continue living fearlessly, which I started doing last year in 08, finally fulfilling my dream of becoming a full-time musician, and in the face of all obstacles, common sense, hard-ships and "reality" for lack of a better word, continue playing and creating music on the lap steel guitar and ukulele while supporting my wife and family
Eldon Cangas

Goals

Post by Eldon Cangas »

KEEP PLAYING! Eldon
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

Learn C6.
Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

To spend more time playing music, less time playing exercises, scales, arps, etc.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

My goal is to find someone more local to play with who is willing to work around my rather difficult day job schedule.
Also, I'm going to learn some hawaiian tunes and try to get time off to go to Joliet for the hsga convention.
I'm also going to California Coast Music Camp. I'm bound to get something out of that. Learn, baby, learn. I've got a long way to go.
Amor vincit omnia
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

I'm a beginner, so it's basic. To be in the same cord as everyone else who is playing and to get to St. Louis this year for the convention.
Todd Weger

Learn to play Stevens bar style

Post by Todd Weger »

I want to learn to play more traditional high-bass open G bluegrass style. I've studied and tried to play in the Dick McIntire/Andy Iona Hawaiian style for almost 10 years, and lately I've been involved with folks who play more of a bluegrass type of thing. I retune and try to play out of high-bass open G, flounder around, and then get yelled at to "stop sounding so Hawaiian!" Well, OK - they don't really yell at me.

:)

My goal by June is to be able to accurately and cleanly play a half-dozen bluegrass standards and use a - gasp! :whoa: - Stevens bar (or Scheerhorn, etc), and sound at least like I kind of know what I'm doing. :lol:

This gives me one song per month to learn.

For the second half of the year, my goal is to have enough original songs/tunes written to do a full CD or all original material featuring 6 and 8-string non-pedal steels and all three style resonators.

:)
Todd James Weger --
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

To master this tune......

Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

You need a bar to play that note. :lol:
I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Dang!......so that'sthe secret!.......thanks Harry.... :lol:
b0b

Post by b0b »

Finish my "Greatest Hits" CD. 8)

Learn to play my "new" Hammond M3. (It's harder than I thought it would be.)
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

b0b wrote: Learn to play my "new" Hammond M3. (It's harder than I thought it would be.)

so you've mastered the vibraphone already?....... :D
Todd Weger

Learn to play Stevens bar style

Post by Todd Weger »

Not sure why this double posted...??? I only hit the submit button once! Really!
Todd James Weger --
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
HowardR

Re: Learn to play Stevens bar style

Post by HowardR »

Todd Weger wrote:Not sure why this double posted...??? I only hit the submit button once! Really!

double stops.....
Loren Claypool

Post by Loren Claypool »

I have three goals for 2009:

1) I announced a new recording project on Dec 28th. It's called "Breathe", details on my blog at http://tinyurl.com/89zakv - I hope you'll participate!

2) Live work with the Guitar Circle of Chicago team - http://www.guitarcircleofchicago.com.

3) Solo live looping work.

Looks like another busy year!
Loren Claypool
genre-indifferent instrumental guitar music
www.lorenclaypool.com
MySpace
Facebook
Twitter
Flickr
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Same goals as last year...