Bill Anderson

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Grothusen

Bill Anderson

Post by Dave Grothusen »

What is the name of the young man that has been playing steel for Bill Anderson? I used to know his name buy my old brain just can't seen to bring up that piece of knowledge.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Dave that would be Eddie Lange.
Last edited by Craig A Davidson on 29 Dec 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

You mean it isn't SONNY GARRISH ?? How long have I been asleep ?? :whoa: :D :D

Regards, Paul
Kevin Lange

Post by Kevin Lange »

That would be Eddie Lange.(there is an "e" at the end of our name. Hello Craig). He is a great player, and not just because he's my oldest son. Eddie has been with Bill for almost 3 years, and really enjoys it.

Kevin
Craig A Davidson

Sorry Kevin and I knew that. I guess I should proofread more huh?
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

OK Eddie is not the guy I am looking for. This kid was with Bill back in the TNN days and is on the Reuinon DVDs that RFDTV is promoting currently.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

I believe you might be thinking of Mike Johnson. He stays busy playing sessions in Nashville these days.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Thanks, that is what was relayed to me but I did not think that was his name.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Hey Paul,
There have been several guys since Sonny, and one lovely, talented lady steeler, Donna Hammett.

BTW good to see you back posting, we missed you.
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Bernie Gonyea

Bill Anderson With Mike Johnson

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :whoa: :roll:

Is that Mike Johnson in the photo? Does anyone know how old Bill is ? Seems like he has been around forever. I had heard many good things about Mike's playing. But I'm sure this Lange Lad is mighty good, if he's working for Bill. And, naturally, Donna was a sweet-heart and has a bundle of talent..Bernie :D :whoa: :roll:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Bernie Gonyea

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Is that Mike Johnson in the photo? Does anyone know how old Bill is ? Seems like he has been around forever. I had heard many good things about Mike's playing. But I'm sure this Lange Lad is mighty good, if he's working for Bill. And, naturally, Donna was a sweet-heart and has a bundle of talent..Bernie :D :whoa: :roll:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Bernie Gonyea

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Paul Graupp wrote:You mean it isn't SONNY GARRISH ?? How long have I been asleep ?? :whoa: :D :D

Regards, Paul
I thought it was Mike Johnson, because,i remember him playing for ol' Whisperin' Bill too. I've asked myself the same question.LOL
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Bob Lucier also played for Bill Anderson.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

But the First and Foremost of his steel driving men was Weldon Myrick !!

Regards, Paul 8) 8) :eek:
Craig A Davidson

Bernie that is Eddie Lange with an "e" in the pic. Bill is 72 years old. The fellow Dave is talking about is Mike Johnson. Mike went to work with Bill after his old boss, Mel Street died.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

This is the Mike Johnson I was referring to.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_OrV54AaQM[/url]
Craig A Davidson

Dave that is the Mike Johnson we are both talking about. He came after Weldon and Sonny and before Donna Hammit and Eddie Lange. I think that was the order.
Bernie Gonyea

My Apologies To All you Still Lovers

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :whoa: :roll: :lol:
Hi Guys : I first of all want to apologize for my fast trigger finger on the above posts; Am pleased we got all of Bill's steel Players straightened out.
Bent: I wasn't aware that Bob Lucier had worked with Bill ; I remember him from The Tommy Hunter Show of several years ago. In my book is one of Canada's super steel players. Have any of you been watching Marty Stuart's new Show on Sat 's at 8 :00 P.M. on the RFD Channel? Our buddy, Weldon is working with them and great GAL Singer, Connie Smith. In fact it was Bill Anderson whom gave Connie her first big break into the music field. And another fact, Weldon is the player that backed Connie on her # one hit, " Once A Day " Bernie :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Bernie, Yes, Bob played with Bill Anderson before he played on the Tommy Hunter show. Bob told me that when he latched on to the steel as a young man he sat and practiced hard for a year. Then, when the Bill Anderson Show came through Ontario, Bob applied and got the job.

I am aware of the Once A Day connection to Weldon...I think I did hear years ago what you said about Bill giving Connie her big break. If I am not totally wrong, I think that maybe Bill had Connie with him on a European tour, including Norway. This would have been in the 1967 to -70 era... Bill used to be very popular in Norway
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Two other steel players worked with Bill in recent years before Eddie. Donna Hammitt Blanton had played for Bill for quite awhile, and after she left, a guy named Mike Toppins worked with him. I believe Mike is now playin' steel for Pam Tillis. Bill's had a few steel players in his career.