I Love You Because - Carl Smith - Who Played Steel??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I think I saw Johnny play that Emmons just once when he and Carl Smith appeared at the White Horse Bowling Academy Lounge in NJ, back in the early 60's. but; I don't think Carl was very fond of a PSG on his material!
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Lynn Stafford

I Love You Because

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Wow, nice lively discussion on this topic! I'm really enjoying reading everyone's opinion on this thread. I gather that it must have been Curley on this recording I asked about. Thanks to all!

Best reagards,

Lynn
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Hey Joe..Sibert playing a PP Emmons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnaBINTUmvM
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Why not? I guess it's a reasonable starting-point! [Just yanking your chain, I never owned one!]
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Herbert wrote:
Bill
"Because" and "Lucille" were cut in 1968 and first released in 1969.
Thanks for clarifying Herb. Time marches on. Now I think I understand why all the other kids thought I was so wierd. I remember how much I was digging these tunes on the radio and all the other 11 year olds were listening to what ever they listened to.... :\ :?

Isn't there another song called "Red Door" that has the similar C6 style by Curly or Murph? What album is it on?

I remember seeing Carl with Johnny on the Porter Wagoner Show. They were making jokes about how his Fender looked. Carl said he was going to buy Johnny some paint for Christmas.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Bill:

"Red Door" is a dandy, but I don't think it ever appeared on LP. The 45 is Columbia 45436.

Another good Smith tune from the same era (circa 1971) was "Lost It On The Road", which got some airplay and also may never have made it to LP.

These were among the last recordings Carl made for Columbia before moving to Hickory.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Wow! That Carl Smith video is really interesting to me historically, for several reasons:

First, Siebert is playing a late '64 or '65 3-pedal wraparound D-10,

Second, said wraparound only has one row of open tuning holes on the changer endplate that I can see (the top row looks like the screws are flush to the endplate, blocking the holes, which means he didn't lower any strings), and

Thirdly, the trim strips on the front look like wood marquetry strips and not aluminum, though the body looks like black mica, and

Fourth, he only has 8 strings on his 6th neck (which makes sense.)
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jeff Bradshaw

Post by Jeff Bradshaw »

What Herb said! That is a very interesting guitar that Johnny is playing!