About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

scott murray wrote:
Jim Cohen wrote:Red Rhodes with Brewer & Shipley:

"Oh, Mommy, I ain't no commie..."
that was Jerry, maaaaaaaaan.....
Alls I can say, Scott, is that if you remember the 60's that well, you weren't really there... ;)
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

Bobby Black and Lloyd Green played with Canadian Rock 'n Roller "Robert Gordon"
Bobby played on "crazy man crazy"and Lloyd on "standing on the outside of her door"
John McFee played on Elvis Costello's hit "Good year for the roses.
Sneaky Pete played with Stevie Wonder on "too shy to say"
Tom Brumley with Ricky Nelson.
Marc Muller

Post by Marc Muller »

"Afternoon Delight" Starlight Vocal Band with 70's phase shifter. Jeff Baxter on "South City Midnight Lady" off the big album for them with China Grove. Now that's some early 70's RnR.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Didn't I read somewhere that Bobbe Seymour played on "Angel of the Morning" by Merrilee Rush? I haven't heard that in decades and back then probably didn't know what a pedal steel was.
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

"Mississippi" by Pussycat seems to have pedal steel doing the intro and lead break. Don't know who played it, though.

"The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel also has pedal steel in the lead break.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Chris Reesor

Post by Chris Reesor »

How about LDG on "Sally G." by Paul McCartney?Got my attention! Van Morrison's "Wild Night" has PSG but I have no idea who played it.And how could we (at least us Canucks ) forget Peewee Charles w. Lightfoot- Rainy Day People, Edmund Fitzgerald and on and on....
Happy Christmas to you all!
CR.
Excel Superb U12, MIJ Squier tele, modified Deluxe Reverb RI, Cube 80XL, self built acoustics & mandolins
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Al Perkins also did some killer steelin' with Stephen Stills and Manassas on the self-titled album from 1972. Hide it so deep, Don't look at my shadow, Song of Love. They didn't get alot of radio time, but this stuff is absolutely worth checkin' out. This is my all-time favorite stuff from the era.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

OK - to renew the Red Rhodes entry, how about 'Goodbye to Old Missoula' or almost any other song on Willis Allen Ramsey's great album (1973...Damn!)?
"...An admission of interest in protracted commentary is certainly no reason to capitalize on surmised aberations that do not exist." - BH
Mark Lind-Hanson

Post by Mark Lind-Hanson »

I think Red Rhodes played on the FIRST Brewer & Shipley album, and Garcia played on the Second one, definitely!
And I say, if you don't remember the Sixties, then maybe you didn't do anything back then worth remembering. :P
Marc Stone

Post by Marc Stone »

any chance that the tune you are looking for is "Willin" by Little Feat? I'm pretty sure that's Sneaky Pete

another album that Garcia played steel on a few tunes for was "New Train" by Paul Pena. the album was cut in 73 but shelved and not released until 2000. The songs and Pena's voice and guitar playing are gorgeous. The original of "Jet Airliner", the hit for Steve Miller, is on this record with much more intense lyrics. Plus the opening track "Gonna Move" has the Persuasions singing with Pena. The record is not necessarily notable as a steel record, and you probably didn't hear it on big radio, but it's a great record. Nice touches of rock, R&B and country throughout

anybody know who played steel on Joni Mitchell's "Blue" album?
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

How about Elton John's "Good Old Country Comforts"? I'm sure someone here knows who the steeler was. I think I knew at one time, but don't recall now. Anybody?
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Ned McIntosh wrote:
"The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel also has pedal steel in the lead break.
I read somewhere that the player was Curly Chalker.

Does anybody know if there any MP3s on the web of any of these tunes? Anybody have any links?
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Mark Lind-Hanson

Post by Mark Lind-Hanson »

I think "Blue" is Sneaky Pete.
Brian Rung

Post by Brian Rung »

Didn't Pete Drake play on the Monkees "Listen to the Band"?
Joe Alterio wrote:I don't know of very many R&R tunes that had steel that were also popular on the charts....

Offhand, besides the ones you mentioned, these were Billboard Hot 100 hits of a more rock-n-roll bent that featured some steel:

"Listen To The Band" - The Monkees (Lloyd)
"Good Clean Fun" - The Monkees (Lloyd)
"Goin Back" - The Byrds (Red)
"You Ain't Goin Nowhere" - The Byrds (Lloyd)
"Never Goin Back" - The Lovin' Spoonful (Red)
"Lay Lady Lay" - Bob Dylan (Pete Drake)
"Sally G" - Paul McCartney (Lloyd)
"You Better Think Twice" - Poco (Rusty)
Aspiring Hawaiian.
Brian Rung

Post by Brian Rung »

Nevermind...I was listening to Nashville Skyline and had Pete on the brain...

Didn't Red Rhodes play on the Michael Nesmith/First National band stuff?
Aspiring Hawaiian.
Jeff Watson

Post by Jeff Watson »

It was John Mcfee on Van Morrison's "Wild Night".
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

Yeah Brian

Red R was a member of the first National Band (and the Second National Band) and did a duo album PS/Guitar with MN that is supposed to be pretty good (I've never heard it). I've got those two First National Band albums (Loose Salute and Magnetic South) and I love 'em. MN has a new website (Videoranch) where all those things are available.

Joanne was a big hit for the FNB, but these aren't rock and roll songs, are they?
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

"Afternoon Delight" has been brought up twice - please - somebody don't bring it up again after this - I might gag! ;-)

I don't think anyone posted this yet, but forgive me if someone has, speaking of Ben Keith. He was of course all over Neil Young's Harvest.
Last edited by Mark Eaton on 22 Dec 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

OK Mark - I won't name that song (I happen to really like it - it goes down as one the great all time camp songs in my book) BUT that was lap steel in that song wasn't it? Its Danny Pendleton playing, but it doesn't sound like pedal steel to me (might well be wrong)

edit: just had another listen. I'm not so sure now
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Please add Buddy Emmons contribution to "Feel So Bad," from Ray Charles' "Volcanic Action of my Soul" album, early 70's.
Buddy played on one other song on that album but I can't name it at the moment cause I don't have it in front of me. Carol Kaye played bass on those sessions and she told me she remembers Ray getting on the control room talkback and telling everyone to "Put some more 'shoulder' into it".

Also I remember a tune by Chuck Willis from the 50s - the title escapes me at the moment - that was basically a doo-wop tune with a calypso feel that had a tasty bluesy C6 lap solo by who knows who. But it wasn't hack stuff - you could tell it was a real steel player.
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

Dave Harmonson wrote:How about Elton John's "Good Old Country Comforts"? I'm sure someone here knows who the steeler was. I think I knew at one time, but don't recall now. Anybody?
Dave, as we know, that song is from the 'Tumbleweed Connection' album. That's a great solo, and I would like to learn it. I have that album, but unfortunately mine doesn't have the credits on the inner sleeve like others do. Fortunately, my brother has a copy that does. I'll ask him.
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

And of course, there's Ben Keith playing on Neil Young's Harvest album.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Glen Derksen wrote:And of course, there's Ben Keith playing on Neil Young's Harvest album.
Is there an echo in here? :o
Mark
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

It's not pedal steel, but in a previous similar thread Paul Franklin mentioned that it was Pete Drake who did the hook on Harrison's My Sweet Lord on electic dobro through a Pignose.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Every hit Bill Haley had featured a steel guitar, as he had a permanent steel guitarist in his group, the Comets.

Don't forget Marty Robbins' "Singing the Blues", "Knee Deep in the Blues", "White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation", amongst others, which featured Jerry Byrd. He also had a best-selling Hawaiian album, "Hawaii's Calling Me."

Others who have had best-selling Hawaiian albums have included Andy Williams, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Bing Crosby, all of which featured steel guitar.