Purchasing online or from a store

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jon Irsik

Post by Jon Irsik »

In my case, the local store stocks what they want to use, won't listen to the local player's wants or needs, and won't wait on me when I do go to the store. When I have purchased from them it's been last minute need-it-now things that I was grossly overcharged for. Our discount stores (Target, Walmart, Dillons and Hastings) have a better string selection than our music store does.

Online shopping can be done anytime from my home. Most offer free delivery and a great return policy. If you buy from them once they will solicit further business with loyalty and private e-mail sales. They also offer no interest financing if need be.

It's a no brainer, but I miss the old music store we had in my town growing up. The licks I learned, the fellowship and networking are all gone with the times.

It's a shame.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I've lived 10 minutes from this place for most of my life.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

This past October I was going to play at a thing back East. Rather than the hassle of trying to schlep my gear from Ca. to NY. I bought a guitar, case and amp from Sweetwater and had it sent to my sister-in-law in NY. I left it there and will have it available next Oct. when I go back again. Couldn't do that with a music store.
Last edited by Ken Lang on 22 Dec 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heavily medicated for your safety
Gordy Hall

Post by Gordy Hall »

Brick,

I saw a Carter Starter at Tall Toad in Petaluma, but that's been it for 2 years.....

Gordy
Dyke Corson

Post by Dyke Corson »

What brick and mortar offers these?

If you buy a new item from our store we offer a free loaner during the repair if you have any troubles during the warranty period. If your new amp goes down and you have a gig the next night will Musician's Friend lend you an amp to get through your gig the next night? Many small repairs like speaker baskets, diaphragms, neck adjustments, loose connections, etc. we do for free under warranty while you wait. Can you get hands on help with operating your processor, amp, PA, etc? Can you actually play the instrument before you buy it? These are the kinds of things that (at least to me) are not the same with on-line shopping. Plus we will shake your hand and say thank you!
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I guess we are lucky around Texarkana. We have one store that has a LARGE supply of most anything and sometimes has a used steel or two. The Country Music Store has been really dealing with people sometimes beating the on-line prices. I don't know of many places that carry a lot of "high end" equipment.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

For all the reasons Dyke just set out, I deal with a local music store whenever I can. It's nice to have quick access to competent guitar technicians when you need them. I recognize though that not everyone has a local store that provides that kind of service.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Ben Edmonds wrote:I would buy local. Support your local human. I would rather keep a local music shop open than save a couple bucks.
I don't just support music stores. I always try to do all my shopping, as much as possible, at small businesses.

I'd rather see my money go to people who are trying to survive than to corporate coffers.[/i]
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Mike, Amen to that one.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

This may ruffle some shorts here, but I have no local stores that support the instrument I play (by stocking strings, bars or anything to do with the steel guitar), so why should I go out of my way to support them? If I lived near a store like Dyke's or Billy Cooper (or the many others here) I would definately give them my business, but steel guitar friendly stores here in the SF Bay Area disappered long ago.
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Drew,

I lived in Howell about 30 minutes away from the original downstairs store on Grand River back in the 60's. I don't know how many nice old Nationals, Dobros, Oahus and bakelite Ricks I've seen hangin in that place, cheap too!

I can remember Stan Werbin working on the floor, stringing instruments, etc.. I don't think Gruhn was even around then yet.
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Steve Branscom

Post by Steve Branscom »

So, do we consider Elderly Music brick and mortar or internet. Obviously they do both and they're not local to me on the west coast but they've grown so they can survive.
Steve
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

I shop on line for certain things that I can not find within 50 miles of my home, but I don't like it. It's like buying a pig in a poke. I guess I am very blessed to have a music store close that has almost everything I need. What he doesn't have, he can get. Small town store, but never dissapoints me. I know everything is top notch. Even the used instruments. And great customer service.

I agree with everyone else. I like to see the actual product and talk to a human being. I even go inside the bank when I need to do my banking. If we don't show companies that we want to talk to a person they might think they don't need to pay folks. They might just close the doors and go completely on line or order only from a catalog store. The little guys will dissapear. Only stores left will be at the mall. Gives me cold shivers to think about it.