Greg Leisz with Bill Frisell

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

Greg Leisz with Bill Frisell

Post by Andy Volk »

Here's Greg with Bill in a very textural context. Not much screen time for Greg's Asher but he's a key part of the bed that supports Frisell's Tele solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVWwX7rB ... re=related
Jayson Makar

Greg Leisz

Post by Jayson Makar »

Thank you for posting that link, Andy. Nice to see all those players in a live context. Leisz's playing on that album (Blues Dream) is suberb. And a nice picture of an old National Dynamic in soft focus on the back cover to boot.
I should also mention that I really appreciate your lap steel book. Great read.
Jay.
Orville Johnson

Post by Orville Johnson »

Bill is one of my all-time favorite guitarists. The thing I like best about him is that he almost never plays any guitar "licks". He plays MUSIC with a capital M. When I see him play I seldom watch his hands to see what he's playing. I watch his face to catch the moments of child like glee that break out when he hears something that moves him. I love that.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

What does the song have to do with Ron Carter?

I like the whole thing. Intonation was suspect, but that kind of thing is irrelevant I would guess in this music.
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

Greg Leisz, one of the finest steel guitar players in the current circuit, got such a minor part and very little before the seventh minute of the nine minute recording. Disappointing, although the quality of the video recording was good.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

There's a fairly new CD/DVD out by McCoy TYner called Guitars that features Frisell, Marc Ribot, John Scofield, and Bela Fleck playing with Tyner, Ron Carter, and Jack DeJohnette. Frisell and Scofield come off best to my ears. Scofield 'cause he's fearless and just blows on Tyner's level and Frisell because he forces Tyner to come to his conception of time slowed down and melodic, thematic improvisation. Fascinating record. Trucks and Ribot seem to range from impotence to being all at sea from hero worshop or fear of being out of their league with jazz icons. The DVD let's you see the vibe in the studio where it's not working and where communication is happening.

As for steel guitar, Frisell and Leisz as a duo seem to have found a rare level of musical communication. Like so ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeR3PDn7ri4

ps thanks, Jayson.
Steve Hamill

Post by Steve Hamill »

That was sweet Andy.
Ben Hoare

Post by Ben Hoare »

Awesome I ll have to dig that album out again.
Jonathan Lam

Post by Jonathan Lam »

I just ordered the frisell record for the movie All Hat, Greg plays on this as well. Enjoy his playing immensely.
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Thanks Andy. That made my day!
Terry Farmer

Post by Terry Farmer »

One of my all time favorite lap steel songs is Greg Leisz's "Santo's Dream". It can be found on "Legends of the Incredible Lap Steel Guitar" www.horserockrecords.com He does a crecendo part in the song that gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Incredible musician!