A Poor Man's Stringmaster - Guyatone D-8

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Michael; did you know that Guya/Guyatone still sells lots of musical add ons and what not?

http://www0.dealtime.com/xDN-musical_in ... --guyatone
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, Guyatone Co. is still around. They make mostly effects, stomp boxes, etc. Musicians Friend and a lot of other sites sell their stuff. I don’t think they make guitars anymore.

Were Guyatone copies ever sold in the USA in the 1960s and 70s? Or just outside of the USA? I imagine that Gibson, Fender, and Rickenbacker were not too happy to see exact copies of their guitars, steels, and amps on the market! How do you spell l-a-w-s-u-i-t !!! ;-)
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Doug Beaumier wrote: How do you spell l-a-w-s-u-i-t !!! ;-)
T-O-Y-O-T-A! I think the Japanese won the lawsuit :o

Doug, are the tuners on your Guyatone mounted into a chromed metal sleeve or just into the wood? I am kind of curious why they would want to insert the tuners into a metal sleeve; as with mine. Maybe for sound or tone? :?

As for Guya & Guyatones being sold in the USA during the 60s, I can only guess yes. There are more than just a few of them out there: probably more so in the US than in Canada. I do know that Guya's electric guitars were popular in the British Common Wealth countries during that time period.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Les, the tuners are attached to the metal pan, exactly like a Stringmaster. The entire pan comes out, and each tuner is attached with two screws. The tuners are open-gear, and they are fairly good quality. I've seen worse. Like I said earlier, anyone who was around in the 1950s and 60s knows what "Made in Japan" meant in those days. It meant "cheap junk", unlike today. In spite of that, this Guyatone is a pretty good little steel guitar, quite playable. I hope to post an audio clip very soon, probably tomorrow.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I have one too. It's a great guitar. I bought a second one as a gift for a friend of mine in England. I would have no hesitation in recommending them.
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

Remember I am doing this from memory of serving in Japan 1946 to 1950 and I will turn 80 1/25/09. During WW2 the kimpitai(sp) the japanese secret police or Gestapo attemted to confiscate all steel guitars, haw records, etc because it was american.After the war we discovered the ingenious ways Japanese steelers hid there prewar gibsons, Ricks Guya and Guyatones from the police. Yes we discovered both guyas and Guyatone. The guyas were the bottom of the line and guyatones were the cream. I was part of reistablishing the Guya Co as part of my dutys in Military Government. Alot of fun. cc
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

c c johnson wrote: The guyas were the bottom of the line and guyatones were the cream.
Well thanks a lot C C, you really did a lot for my over blown ego. 8) 8) :P ;-)
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

Sorry about that Les. The difference was explained to me by an officer of the co. During the war they had to convert to war production just as our industry did. The co was only one of my dutys so I was unable to dig deep and form an opinion of my own. The japanese that I heard playing both models sounded equal to me. I believe the Guyatones were fancier than the others.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

I would bet that if you put my Guya beside Doug's Guyatone they would look exactly the same other than the tuners on mine (for whatever reason) are impeded directly into the wood and inserted into chromed metal sleeves.

As for the sound, both Doug and I have the same pick up systems and the various tone adjustments.

I suppose it would be a very simple chore to strip these things, stain them a different colour, put fancy border decals on them and they could look like any other American D8 steel.
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

some inovative japanese wrapped their guitars in a plastic looking material and immersed them in "honey buckets". They were safe for 3 to 4 yrs as no gestapo agent would delve into a honey bucket no matter how patriotic he was. cc
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

You know what they say:

ELK Amps...Powerful and Delicacy

:lol:
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

c c johnson wrote:some inovative japanese wrapped their guitars in a plastic looking material and immersed them in "honey buckets". They were safe for 3 to 4 yrs as no gestapo agent would delve into a honey bucket no matter how patriotic he was. cc
Maybe that's why they have that sweet sound of a steel guitar? :oops: :oops: ;-)
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Here's an interesting comparison between Keith Worley, playing a Guyatone, and Maurice Hipkiss, playing a Fender. It comes from Basil's website and I'm sure he won't mind me including it...

Here's another shot of Keith playing his Guyatone....

Unfortunately Keith died of cancer at an early age. After he died I bought his Guyatone from his widow, Jacqueline, and gave it to a friend of mine in Birmingham who is one of the best lute and harpsichord players around, but is suffering from a nerve problem with his hand, and I figured playing an instrument with a tone bar would keep him musically active.

I bought mine from Mike Tevener in York about 18 months ago, and it was in storage at Basil's place until I was able to pick it up in March. I mention these names to show that there are a lot of people out there playing Guyatones, and there are a lot of steel players in the British Isles who go unnoticed to the American audience.

I don't usually attach the legs as I'm short of space in my den. I usually play it acroos my lap or place it on top of a PSG, with a cloth between the two to prevent scratches.
My only complaint about the instrument is the placement of the cord socket, between the necks, which can get in the way. I use a right-angle plug to get round that.
Last edited by Alan Brookes on 20 Dec 2008 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

That Guyatone looks Exactly like mine. At first I thought it was the same guitar!
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Alan Brookes wrote:
My only complaint about the instrument is the placement of the cord socket, between the necks, which can get in the way. I use a right-angle plug to get round that.
Allan, that as well is the only complaint that I have/had with my Guya. I bought a right angle plug on the first Monday after I bought mine.

I found mine at a yard sale being put on by an elderly lady and her family. She was going to a home for the elderly and was selling everything that could be removed from her home. I just happened to drive by at the right time. I got the D8 steel, its hard case, volume pedal, Fender Princeton Reverb, silver face amp, all for $50.00. Every thing was in pristine condition except for one small indent on the front edge of the guitar. I think I got a deal and I finally had a life long want, of learning to play a steel guitar.

(At the same yard sale, my beloved wife who now rests in heaven also bought a solid mahogany table and chair set, a matching hutch and a dinning room cabinet for $500.00.) That was a good day for us. :)
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

- edit -
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 3 May 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I just recorded an audio clip of the Guyatone: "Sand", B11 tuning ----> CLICK
Eddie Cunningham

"Sand " played perfectly !!!

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

Hi Doug !! Just listened to your Guyatones "Sand" !! Was perfect !! That steel sounds almost as good as my old 1956 D-8 Rick. !!!Actually sounds better with you playing it !!! Your feelings in that song came thru beautifully !!! I really enjoyed !!! I have to make that trip out West (ern mass) to hear you with that steel someday soon !!! Keep up the great work !!! Eddie "C" ( the old non-pedal , no reverb , dead strings , out of work old geezer )
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Eddie, I appreciate it!

Speaking of Sand...

I'd like to see some of THIS now...

And LESS of THIS...

Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Doug: I enjoyed your "Sand". It just shows what can come out of a Guyatone in the hands of a competent musician. :D
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Oops, double post.
Last edited by Les Anderson on 20 Dec 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Thanks tons Doug. So, what do "you" think of that steel now?

I will always maintain that in the hands of a real steel player, a Guyatone can keep up with any of them. Great sound.

Les
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Les, I played the song on the front neck (single pickup) because it's set up for C6... C6 to B11 is an easy "retune". I like the sound of the guitar, but I wouldn't say it has the sustain and clarity of a Stringmaster. Still a nice sounding guitar.
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

Memories of the late 40s are coming back in bits and pieces. As I stated a co exec told me about the two guitars and how the co rated them. Reminds me of Fender thought the Strat would be the most popular guitar and the Tele would come in second. You see alot more teles being played and according to Freddie Tavares the Teles were the real money makers. When I was investigating Japanese industry my territory was between Kobe and Shimonoseki so I did not have the time to really dig into the steels. In fact the old memory keeps telling me that the plant had a different name during the war and the co officials were happy to get their old name back. cc