Deleted

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Watson

Post by Jeff Watson »

I,ve always been a Ron Wood fan. I think his early slide playing was the first sound that caught my ears and headed me in the direction of this instrument. Though I've progressed far beyond my initial dreams as a player (I still absolutely suck), when I first began it was with the certain knowledge that I would NEVER become anywhere near good at it. The other other thing I was certain of was that the sound of this instrument was so powerful that one well placed note was all I had to do to be living my dreams. Thanks Ronnie
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Ron Wood's early solo records are charming. His studio work is full of slide and lap steel tracks. He's definately playing for mood and affect rather than musical vertuosity. The thing that I love about Stones records are that they take all these guitar tracks that individually are no big deal, and they layer and mix them into one grand sound. I don't think anyone here would argue that Ron Wood is anywhere close to the talent of Lloyd, Buddy, etc., but it could be argued that none of those great steel players could pull off what the Stones do with guitars on their records.

BTW, anyone remember The New Barbarians? I had the pleasure of seeing them at the Oakland Auditorium back in '78 or when ever they toured. Good show!
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that "our" Ron "Chippy" Wood is not the same Ron Wood who plays with the Stones.

If he is, we all, including me, should treat him with more respect. He's done a lot more, and gone further than any us ever will.

As far as the videos go, it would be better if he was a better player, but we have to give him credit for exposing the steel to the Stones' audience, many of whom in all likelihood never saw one before.

Ron, if you're reading this, please tell us once and for all whether or not you are THE Ron Wood.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Mark Carlisle

Post by Mark Carlisle »

Welcome to the Forum, John. I thought Chris had some valid points and enjoyed reading his posts. Mr. Dave Mudgett expressed some interesting ideas also. Anytime a "guitar playing superstar" (press words, not mine) with so much media expo sits behind a PSG, much will be said from the true virtuosos on the instrument to the guy just figuring out what the "A" pedal does-and as think everyone here will agree-it can do a LOT!
Dave, I'm so glad you recently saw David Lindley. My quote referred to speaking with him when he was working on Jackie Brown's "Hold Out" and Warren Zevon's "Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School" I was working as a second engineer (rookie) at The Sound Factory.Mid 70's. Dumble amp and his finest polyester-he's a true signature player and one very cool cat.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Mike, i believe there IS only 1 Ron Wood
he played bass in the original jeff beck group w: rod the mod
yeah, he's been around fer a while
w: such a career i would have expected him to have been a much better musician
in my book he was never someone to write home about
i'll take Jerry Garcia anyday
as fer Robert, now that boy's got talent ;-)
Bryant Aycock

impressions?

Post by Bryant Aycock »

The only thing that impresses me about Ron Wood and Jerry Garcia playing Steel guitar is both their heads cleared from chemicals long enough to figure out which side of the guitar was the front or back. I may can ride a horse, but that don't make me a cowboy. Never group these guys with Jimmy or Buddy or anyone else who can play.
Bryant
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

To Bryant- Heaven forbid we should take note of the fact that Jerry Garcia and Ron Wood pleased millions of people with the music they play, and ....oh yeah, I meant to ask, who the *** are you?
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Mark Carlisle wrote:Welcome to the Forum, John. I thought Chris had some valid points and enjoyed reading his posts. Mr. Dave Mudgett expressed some interesting ideas also. Anytime a "guitar playing superstar" (press words, not mine) with so much media expo sits behind a PSG, much will be said from the true virtuosos on the instrument to the guy just figuring out what the "A" pedal does-and as think everyone here will agree-it can do a LOT!
Dave, I'm so glad you recently saw David Lindley. My quote referred to speaking with him when he was working on Jackie Brown's "Hold Out" and Warren Zevon's "Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School" I was working as a second engineer (rookie) at The Sound Factory.Mid 70's. Dumble amp and his finest polyester-he's a true signature player and one very cool cat.
Mark
I'm a big David Lindley fan. That had to be a great moment seeing him record.
Any pictures?
Steve
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Mark Carlisle

Post by Mark Carlisle »

Steve-I wish I did have some photos of that chapter in my life, however being around '77-78 we didn't have the modern digital cameras, etc. Funny thing was, the only reason I got a job at the Sound Factory (Selma&Ivar in Hollywood) was beacuse I could play PSG. I was knocking on doors and got in to to see the chief engineer at the time, Chris Cabral. I noticed a Sho-Bud LG in the corner and asked if he played. He said he was just starting out, I sat down behind it, played a few licks, he hired me on the spot if I would give him lessons. They threw me in the fire as a second, I was present on some incredible sessions with Lee Sklar, Russ Kunkel, Kootch, Waddy, Glaub, the whole E/A section.What a time that was.
David Lindley has what so many musicians, not just steel players, strive for-a signature sound that is instantly recognizable. And his solo recordings with El Rayo X are some of my favorites EVER.
Bryant Aycock

Sorry Bob!

Post by Bryant Aycock »

Sorry to upset you,Bob. You're right, I'm nobody.
Thanks,
Bryant
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Quote:

"Since January of 1997, The Steel Guitar Forum has been bringing all steel guitarists together in a spirit of friendship and a common love of the instrument."

Sigh...I have a dream...

Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Daniel Morris

on balance...

Post by Daniel Morris »

Can't you kids play nice?
With so many players from so many backgrounds, we're bound to disagree, but is it necessary to get nasty?
So, here's my opinion, to which each of us is entitled:
That video of the Stones with Ron Wood is exactly what you'd expect of Wood - listen to FARAWAY EYES again. I had to play that one in a band years ago, and deliberately played a bit off the fret to simulate the sound on the record. Garcia seemed better able to play pedal steel, but c'mon - both men will always be recognized as guitarists first and foremost. Same goes for Toy Caldwell - listen to FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN again. (Small wonder many people dislike the steel when noted performances feature such playing. Then again, David Lindley's work on RUNNING ON EMPTY shows innovation AND in-tune playing.) Now maybe those guys are just playing tongue-in-cheek, but either way, they're not doing the instrument a great service.
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

"Never group these guys with Jimmy or Buddy or anyone else who can play"

I don't think anyone is or would seriously do that here......that only happens in the Guitar Player magazine reader poles, right?

Well, I was wondering when we would get around to Ron Wood....we've spent so much time with Jerry Garcia, I guess we neglected Ron. I predict that Daniel Lanois will be our next effigy that has the hubris to entertain the masses with the pedal steel guitar. :eek:

Merry Christmas, and good luck!