Deleted

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

So...does this make Ron Wood the new Jerry Garcia? When you guys figure it out let me know who I should make fun of next.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

Maybe if Ron is an AB pedal man only, then each of those 5 or 6 pedals on that 10 string emmons is a combined AB move, so it doesn't matter which pedal he hits :wink:
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I guess instead of using the steel they could have just done a rock version of a country song like many of the new country acts do.
Bob Bowden

Post by Bob Bowden »

Why go country when they could go classical???

Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Jeremy Threlfall wrote:Maybe if Ron is an AB pedal man only, then each of those 5 or 6 pedals on that 10 string emmons is a combined AB move, so it doesn't matter which pedal he hits :wink:
As I noted earlier, he uses B & C twice (at 2:15 in the video link in Mike P.'s post).

I don't mean to disparage; as some have noted, I feel sure that Ron Wood has a modest opinion of his steel abilities, and wears it lightly. I agree with Bill Hatcher's post on page 1.
John Lemieux

Post by John Lemieux »

+ 1 For Bill Hatcher page 1
music is the spice of life
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

That photo of Keith just ruined my morning.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

How many threads on the Forum in the past several months have involved Woody and the clip from that Stones movie?

I guess it's good in a way, Garcia and Robert Randolph have been able to take a breather... ;-)

He may darn near eclipse the number of posts about how badly modern country music sucks!:whoa:
Mark
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

In an ideal world, we could all choose one thing to be negative about together!
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

Why is everybody so catty?

Wood didn't play any great steel part, ( I don't even like the way he plays guitar,) but the guy got up there, played our favorite instrument to hordes of people who likely didn't know what it was, and did so with some respect and affection- A good deal more than this ungenerous crowd has given him.

Perhaps he should give up guitar and the Stones and spend 30 years getting good at pedal steel so that instead of entertaining and moving tens of thousands at a time he can sit in the corner of a bar somewhere and play "Whiskey River" 30 times a night to some disinterested drunks....
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

I hope I didn't seem like I was bashing Ron Woods. You're right. It does seem catty when I go back and read it.

Speaking for myself, sometimes I crack a joke about something without realizing that I'm being a little mean. I think that happens a lot around here.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Waiting for Ron's comment...Isn't he a member of the Forum? 8) :wink: 8) :wink:

Kind Regards, Walter
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

When I remember back...and it's getting more difficult to do so, I thought it was really cool that Ron Wood played steel on "Far Away Eyes" back in 1978. At the time I thought he was pretty good too.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Post deleted...apologies. I was being critical, and it was unproductive and apparently overtly negative.
Last edited by Chris LeDrew on 19 Dec 2008 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Here is the "Far Away Eyes" clip, with Ron on a round front Pro 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVEdYYMlOJ4
Jackson Steel Guitars
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

The country "Spinal Tap" has already been done, it's called "Walk Hard". Very funny movie
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

... I had the immense pleasure of chatting with David Lindley when I worked at the Sound Factory, we got on the subject of PSG, his words were"...man, those are scary-I start playing one and all of the sudden six days goes by before I look up..."
I had the same conversation with Mr. Dave after he played here last year. This is a scary instrument in a lot of ways, and I agree on the time-sink aspect. Since I joined this forum, a helluvalotta stuff has gone by the wayside. There are days I just look up from my steel and say, "Is that me actually doing this?". :)

It is entirely possible and legitimate to approach steel guitar as a slide guitar. Although I love what the pedals do, it is an instrument in its own without them.

You also don't have to be remotely a virtuoso to make good music on this or any instrument. It's about making a part fit the music, and Ronnie has done that for a long time on a bunch of instruments with the Stones, Faces, Rod Stewart, and many others. He needs no vindication from anybody. IMHO.
John Lemieux

Post by John Lemieux »

I,m new here and a guitar player new to steel. After reading posts like Mr.Ledew i dont know if i want to be in this forum. For me music is fun and uncomplicated,who cares who plays what and how just have fun.I,ll give it few weeks.
music is the spice of life
Brian Rung

Post by Brian Rung »

I was a huge stones fan growing up, to this day this is still my favorite tele:

Aspiring Hawaiian.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

John Lemieux wrote:I,m new here and a guitar player new to steel. After reading posts like Mr.Ledew i dont know if i want to be in this forum. For me music is fun and uncomplicated,who cares who plays what and how just have fun.I,ll give it few weeks.
Wow. My sincere apologies, John. I didn't realize it was that bad. Post deleted.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

We are kind of an emotional bunch around here!
Don Drummer

ron wood sho bud ..emmons

Post by Don Drummer »

The Sho Bud version is better.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I sometimes forget that it's not good practice to be critical of other musicians, even big rock stars. Hence, my decision to just delete my useless critique on Mr. Wood. As my grandmother used to say: "He thinks he's doing alright. That's the main thing." :)
Jackson Steel Guitars
Don Drummer

ron wood sho bud ..emmons

Post by Don Drummer »

The Sho Bud version is better.
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Welcome John Lemieux!
Ya, lately a lot of the old trouts have been bitchy and snippy. That's kind of a drag and embarrassing, but overall this is a great forum with decent people, and you will learn a lot about the pedal steel guitar here.
BTW, what part of Ontario? I've got some people in Hamilton :)

Merry Christmas!
Cliff