Formica covered steels look cheap and ugly

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Hmmm. I wonder how many of these guitars are actually covered in mica. Mica is short for Formica, which is a brand name of a laminate product. I'm guessing some builders may be using Wilsonart.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Lee, I think all laminates are the same.

They are sheets of kraft paper laminated together with resin. Much like layers of fiberglass and resin on a boat except it's not woven together like fiberglass. This is why it's so strong and resistant to dings etc.

After the Kraft paper, is the color which is like the covering on a drumset. After the color is the melamine covering (real tough plastic) which gives it it's scratch resistance, gloss and "depth"

Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

This is the only kind of laminate I like

Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Richard, your very first line of this thread read, "it's just an easy short-cut for manufacturers."

Somehow I don't think "an easy short-cut" was the original intention of putting mica on a guitar. Someone once told me that bolting an aluminum neck onto a wood body will gouge into the wood over time thus killing some sustain. Mica eliminates this.

Don't get me wrong. I have heard both wood and mica guitars that had tone to die for, so I am not taking sides. Just food for thought. Speaking of food.....I now think it is time to raid the fridge......

Joe Rogers
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Wood guitars are without a doubt the prettiest but if you keep a guitar as long as I do ......they ain't so pretty with all those use dings all over them. I bought mine to use and I do without worry.......I paid the price......I get to do the damage and mica looks better after so many years.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Danny - My point was, we commonly refer to all laminates (on pedal steels) as "mica", which is short for Formica. Formica is a brand name of laminate.

It's akin to calling all tissues "kleenex". Here in the south, many of us refer to soft drinks as "cokes". "Yes, I'll have a coke, and make it a Dr. Pepper, please." :lol:
Bill Duncan

Formica vs. Wood

Post by Bill Duncan »

There is something about the look of granite. Possibly a little heavy, but it would be different. Come to think of it; it probably would not be much heavier than an old D10 MSA!
Bill Duncan
You can observe a lot just by looking
Don Drummer

mica

Post by Don Drummer »

Mica covered steels? What can I say?
Ray Kedge

Post by Ray Kedge »

Iv'e been looking back at all the helpful tips Richard has given to the forum when guys have been at a loss to sort out their problems,so cut the guy some slack when when he makes personal opinion on the look of a guitar.
I just hope he doesn't stop helping people out when they can't help themselves.Due to the flack he has taken over this.

Keep it comming Richard

Regards Ray
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Bo Legg wrote:This is the only kind of laminate I like

Bologna?

That looks more like a ham and cheese sammidge to me!
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

With the economy in the S can, I didn’t want to appear uppity and use Beef in my laminate.
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

My personal favorite in finishes is the Sho~Paper used on the Ashtray Mavericks. WowZaaaa!!!!
John Drury
NTSGA #3

Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Sandwiches without mustard taste cheap and, oh wait. I forgot. I don't like mustard on my sandwiches. :D
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

:)

EDIT: This was supposed to appear right after John Drury's post.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

The Sho-let-paper was classy, but for the utmost in durability (except fire and the blood slinging "Anti-Animal Torture" folks), the classiest finish would be "Liberacesque" fur. Like ZZ Top's guitars.

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Lee Baucum wrote: I don't like mustard on my sandwiches.
Well I do, and the's fightin' words. How dare you have different tastes in condements as me, you dirty low down $%^$^&(% b%^&$^&^*+)_(* :x

Nest you'll be saying you don't like pepper on your scrambled eggs. Sheesh!

Just Kidding Lee. But I really do like mustard.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Danny Bates wrote:The Sho-let-paper was classy, but for the utmost in durability (except fire and the blood slinging "Anti-Animal Torture" folks), the classiest finish would be "Liberacesque" fur. Like ZZ Top's guitars.

Not Baa-aa-aa-aa-aa-aa-aad!
John Drury
NTSGA #3

Rich Peterson

I love the look of real wood

Post by Rich Peterson »

My red lacquer MSA Classic looked so-o-o-o beautiful until I screwed up and let a cable bouncing around inside the case trash the finish. It upset me so much, I couldn't look at it. Didn't play steel for many years.

If I had bought the white Formica instead, I would have had years more fun, and probably be a really good player.

If I get a PSG custom made, I might have it match the DiPinto Belvedere DeLuxe in my avatar photo: White body with a black carved top, huge white pearloid pickguard, and siver sparkle pickup rings and the entire face of the headstock. (In spite of all that gaudiness, it's a good sounding axe, and the best neck I've EVER played.)

I vote for durability.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

John,

Play that fur covered pedal steel and wear an outfit like Elton is wearing in this pic. Make sure the first song is that one by Tom T. Hall... "I like little baby ducks..."

John Ummel

Post by John Ummel »

I watched a show about Thelonius Monk on the History channel yesterday evening. It struck me what a piece of crap finish was on piano he was playing in one sequence...but his MIND was busy creating those awesome jazz riffs.... 8)
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Bo Legg; you make bologna sandwiches???????????????

If you fry that angelic food: what time do you serve up lunch?

Missouri isn't all that far away for me to travel to share and partake in a fried bologna sandwich.
basilh

Post by basilh »

Fascinating to read from the beginning, Because, starting at the end page one would be of the impression that Richard had gone "Over the Top" with some form of insult, when in fact nothing of the sort occurred.
If YOU are reading this from the end, I humbly suggest that you go to page one and TRY and find what the hullabaloo is about, I can't.

Richard I'm sure wasn't attempting to bait anyone by this post,. just expressing HIS opinion, as is his right.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Joe Rogers wrote:Richard, your very first line of this thread read, "it's just an easy short-cut for manufacturers."
It's a lot more involved than wiping on some stain and then spraying a few coats of something on top. The only "involved" part of finishing a new steel guitar is the inlay work (really easy if you have the tools) and the cure times between coats of finish. I've done furniture restoration and auto bodywork, and there ain't nothin' much easier than spraying on a finish.
Someone once told me that bolting an aluminum neck onto a wood body will gouge into the wood over time thus killing some sustain. Mica eliminates this.
If that "someone" tells you anything else, it might be best if you ignored him. :wink:
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

My New Zum is so ugly I am considering sending it back to Bruce for a refund.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

the emmons co. originally made quite a definite distinction that they didn't use formica...it was 'mica glass'..as i recall...i think it may have been way more musically inclined than a countertop. perhaps someone who knows the inherent tonal response differences could chime (!) in!