About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Glen Derksen

Who played steel on this album?

Post by Glen Derksen »

Image[/img]
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

That's Dottie's husband Bill on the cover...I think he played on the record.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Cool cover. You don't see very many black laq Fingertips.
And the gtr player has a Gretsch, instead of the ubiquitous Fender. Must've been a fan of Chet.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Check the song titles. All great country songs.Jody.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey Steve,

Who was it that had a song with the line...Dottie traded Bill for a drummer? Don't remember the song, but I'll never forget that line.

By the way, we'd love to see ya make it back to Atlanta in Feb. Maybe Jeff will be coming.

See ya soon,
Jim
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Jim,I don't remember that song...that's funny though...must have been written by a friend of the family!I'll be in Atlanta if I ain't working...had a great time last time I came down...Skip,as for the guitar player's Gretsch...most pics I see of Nashville bands of that era,the gitter players are playing the Chet models(or Gibsons)...a lot of Nashville records of that era featured the"335/echoplex"style of playing made famous by Grady Martin...the Fenders must have been a West Coast thing(Buck,Merle,etc.)
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Steve, I think you're right about that.
btw, you sounded great with RT at the CMA fest back in June.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Skip,it just now dawned on me...were you there with Dwight?I got out of there so quick...we had come in from TX that morning and I had been home just long enough to clean up and turn around and go back downtown to the stadium!We were having MAJOR monitor problems(in-ears)...but we got through it...thank you for your kind words...I wish I had realized you were there-I would have tried to find you to say hi...haven't seen you since'81-a little dirt track in Arkansas with George Jones,John Conlee(my chief at the time)and the Burrito Bros.(Gib and John with you on steel)...now that I've hijacked this thread I better go...great to hear from you!
Al Udeen

Black & Gold Sho-Bud

Post by Al Udeen »

If I remember correctly, The Black Sho-Bud that Bill West is shown playing above, featured gold plating on much of the metal, & later burned up in Dottie's house fire in or around the late 70s? I'm sure some of you Nashville guys can verify this? au
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Al: I remember that gold plated steel very well !! Don't know what happened to it though...

Regards, Paul
Roger Foreman

Post by Roger Foreman »

Anybody know if this recording is still in print---- I would love to have a copy of it----- Roger
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

Roger, apparently that recording is in print. check out Msn shopping or Walmart.com. That is a good album. I think you'll like it.