Formica covered steels look cheap and ugly

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

Cela ne fait rien.
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

richard burton wrote:The pedal steel will always be an inherently bland-looking instrument, due to the fact that it is essentially a plank of wood with some strings on it.

To compound this blandness by covering it in formica is an aesthetic crime, in my opinion.
Well, Richard, it is so true what has been said here that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :-)
With your(stronger than necessary) opening statement to your now "inherently bland..plank of wood" You have now emphasized once more that our adage holds so true: The one about beauty...
You, my friend have built several of these 'bland-looking wood planks with strings' Your eyes must have been hurting every step of the way.

I can go as far as agree with the statement that mica-covered plywood is just so-so for aesthetics. It does put me in mind of a formica covered table in an old diner. But that is just my opinion.
These planks of wood you are talking about are to me a lot more than just that. Take birdseye for example. What a beautiful piece, that only gets more beautiful after going through sandings and finishing. Now when I am into my 2nd steel project, I spend a lot of time going over in my mind what planks I should choose..should I make one all in birdseye again? Should I make one with a neck out of purple heart? I marvel at this wood..it was once alive and still seems to exude living properties as I shape and sand it.

It puzzles me that you, of all people, talk with such irreverence of the pedal steel guitar. To the vast majority they are the most beautiful instruments we have laid our eyes on.

I can only conclude that you wrote this in jest and/or sought to raise a few hackles, which in my case, you certainly did.
Please tell us that you are joking, my friend :-)
Bent
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Well, the mica might be a great solution--I was thinking of changing the look of my guitar.

So does anyone have a good source for mica, or can I get it at a cabinet supply, like kitchens and bathrooms? What kind of glue should I use?? Also, since my shobud is a roundfront, if I just make a "square front" with the mica, will it contribute to my tone acoustically?? Putting mica on my guitar, is this something I can do at home?? What color sounds the best, I thought about black, but I really do not want my guitar to sound like an Emmons?

Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

I don't know- this was in a recent post, about as beautiful as any guitar I've ever seen!

Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

I've got a black Emmons that I just couldn't stand to look at so with the help of my 9 year old daughter and some of her hockey stick tape....
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I just recovered this guitar.
I find the look to be "clean" and "angelic";far from "cheap" and "ugly"! :whoa:

But this one ain't too shabby either!

Last edited by Erv Niehaus on 13 Dec 2008 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Bent,
No need to get all out of shape, old buddy :D

I'll be the first to admit that my home-built steels were ugly.
I covered them in formica because I have no woodworking skills whatsoever, so I took the easy route, and masked a multitude of sins with some cheesy wood-a-like formica.

Proper steel manufacturers should have good woodworking skills, there is just no excuse for using formica, it makes the steel look cheap and ugly, IMO
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

richard burton wrote:Bent,
No need to get all out of shape, old buddy :D

I'll be the first to admit that my home-built steels were ugly.
Uhh...Richard...it wasn't the covering that made your home-built steels ugly. It was the workmanship. :wink:
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Richard,
Not as ugly as those stickers! :D
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i would have loved a lacquered ZumSteel
the mica finish on the one i have is, vraiment trés jolie :D
Hey, there are plenty of lacquered beauties bein' made today by some great steel builders
i know who they are ;-)
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I've had two lacquered pedal steel guitars over the years. I'm a perfectionist, when it comes to my instruments. I just cannot stand to see dings and scratches on beautiful wood. When you play on a bandstand, dings and scratches are inevitable.

When I bought my Emmons, in the early 80's, I got a laminate covered one, in Derby Red. That guitar looked brand new when I sold it about 15 years later. In the late 1990's, when I ordered my Mullen from Del, I ordered it with a laminate covering for two reasons:

> I couldn't live with the dings and scratches on a beautiful lacquered guitar.

> I couldn't afford the extra cost of a lacquered guitar had I wanted one.

I'm very happy with the dark blue burl laminate that is on my guitar. I can keep it clean and shiny and I think it really looks sharp on stage.

Lee, from South Texas
Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott »

Richard can you send me a Peavey Powered sticker for my Willy? :lol: :lol:
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

James Morehead wrote:Well, the mica might be a great solution--I was thinking of changing the look of my guitar.

So does anyone have a good source for mica, or can I get it at a cabinet supply, like kitchens and bathrooms? What kind of glue should I use?? Also, since my shobud is a roundfront, if I just make a "square front" with the mica, will it contribute to my tone acoustically?? Putting mica on my guitar, is this something I can do at home?? What color sounds the best, I thought about black, but I really do not want my guitar to sound like an Emmons?

Game over!!!! 8-)
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Dang Bill, I can't sneak anything past you!! :twisted:
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I assume this thread is in reaction to the lack of controversy on this forum lately, and a desire to elevate the discussion to some important intellectual ideas of vital interest to all steel guitar players.

But this actually comes under Item #1 in Dave Van Allen's Canonical List of Repeated Forum Topics - http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/006541.html

James, you're a card. 8)
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Donny Hinson for PRESIDENT!!!
John Cox

Post by John Cox »

I'll chime in her and say that after having formica guiatrs, the wood bodys still look the best. After my last black one I came to the conclusion that they all are patterned after the Emmons look. Formica is durable no arguement there. But, as far as having personality, NO. I have an SD10 that has the best sound ever except, that it looks like 99% of the other black guitars out there. :roll: I'm of the thought that if, you have an pertty guitar you'll problably take better care of it and play it more.

J.C.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

When I bought my Kline, I had my choice of two: a beautiful lacquer axe, or an off-white, leather-grained Formica guitar. Giggin' 6 nights a week, goin' from hot clubs out into sub-zero weather, etc., I chose the mica guitar. Durability was the issue. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my dreaded white guitar changed colors along with the stage lighting. 20+ years later, it still looks new! Of course I still have 4 old Shobuds to look at when I'm craving good looks alone!

David Nugent

Formica guitars

Post by David Nugent »

In the early 90's I ordered my first new steel guitar, a beautiful red lacquer Mullen. After a six month wait I received it and shortly after used it on a local club gig. You guessed it, a fight broke out (over a woman, what else?), one of the participants was sent crashing into my guitar, and to compound matters had his keys hanging from his belt on one of those dog chain clips. A very talented local luthier was able to correct some of the damage, but I made a vow from then on to only use formica guitars for club work.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Sam Lewis wrote:

"Right on, Howard. I don't believe I'll play my great Mullen RP in Britin - might offend Richard."

You're more likely to offend us with your spelling! :?

I love wood-bodied steels - the Sho-Bud in this thread is gorgeous! My preference, though, is for black mica - the example illustrated here (one of Tommy Cass' renovations, I believe) proves the point even if my avatar doesn't! After that I'd choose lacquer, because I have to agree with Richard when it comes to those fake-looking wood-grain finishes (yes - even Buddy's 'Blade!!!) - they just look cheesy, and remind me of cheap kitchen furnishings..... :eek:
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

Just wondered how this urethane finished CANDY APPLE RED WITH FLAKES wet look finished rated ,,,[[[ YOU CAN'T SEE THE FLAKES BECAUSE THE RED EYE ELIMINATOR CLIPPED THEM]]]But just how does this rate in this DOG fight here, everyone that seen it here at my shop loved it, This is one of the last creations of mine, it was picked up here last week, The customer is totally satisfied with its tone and beauty of color as well,,

my fat foot Isn't part of it HA HA
Last edited by Tommy Young on 13 Dec 2008 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Richard, I am not Bent outa shape :-). I am merely reacting to outrageous statements from you..a steel builder and steel player. You should show little more respect, my man :-)
At least now it seems you are trying to row ashore with a more gentle statement than:
"The pedal steel will always be an inherently bland-looking instrument, due to the fact that it is essentially a plank of wood with some strings on it."
So now it is only the mica that you can't stand, I take it.

Also, you and I both know that the wood body is the least difficult piece to make. What is difficult are things like changer mechs, pedals and bell cranks.

I was amused by your pictures...You say you are a lousy woodworker...fine. But why emphasize this assessment by putting all sorts of cheesy stickers on your guitars? From what I understand from our messages, your guitars did sound good. That is the main thing of course.

BTW...lots of great opinions on this thread!
Carry on my friend :-)
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Tommy Young wrote:But just how does this rate in this DOG fight here, everyone that seen it here at my shop loved it,,The customer is totally satisfied with its tone and beauty of color as well,,

my fat foot Isn't part of it HA HA
Tommy,
That Mullen is indeed a work of beauty! What type of stain is most commonly used? solvent based, alcohol based or water based?

About the foot... I think what we are wondering about is how can it be that only your foot shows and not the rest of your leg and body?? Maybe it's just a Photoshop trick? :lol:
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Most PSG builders charge alot for laquer, is it really worth it?

Their are alot of new formica's that are out now with metallic colors and just tons of new designs and very demensional.

I think granite looks better than formica, but I am happy with my formica counter top.

Another product I have seen and thought it would be nice on a PSG is drum wrap, I don't know if it would work but it is sort of like shrink wrap and is really cool lookin'.

And yes laquer may be nicer but I think the only way I would ever have one is if was used, I honestly don't see me buying a new laquer guitar.

There is a reason why mica is still populuar!!!
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I'm waiting until I have enough caffeine in my system.I don't wanna leave nothing out,Especially the part about Elizabeth Taylor. :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.