My new amp is finished.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bert ten Hove

My new amp is finished.

Post by Bert ten Hove »

I'm very proud to announce that my new home built amp is ready!

It more or less a Weber kit, Deluxe Reverb, but I built it the way I like it, not exactly like the original.

This was a very nice project, I've learned a lot about tube-amps. Building was a very nice experiance.

Took a lot of pictures:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~amphora/index12.htm
(My English should be better, but the pictures tell the story more or less)
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Very nice presentation- how's it sound? JP
Carter,PV,Fender
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

Congrats to a great job. Both with building and the documentation. Hats off!
I'm trying to keep from starting a build project myself, so this kinda has a bad influence on me :wink:

How does it sound?
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Bert ten Hove

Post by Bert ten Hove »

How does it sound?

Well, I have done some test yesterday, but not at full speed, neighbours . . .

De Tele bridge sounds great, Tele neck even better, whoow, nice, nice.
Strat sound good but not so special as the Tele.
LP sound muddy, but than again, LP is not my sound.

Haven't tried my lapsteel yet.

Next sunday I'll take the amp to a jam session, hope that I can tell more after this.
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

Interesting site--thanks for sharing the details of your project. I look forward to hearing how it sounds with your lap steel.

What made you decide to build a kit?
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Nice work all around, Bert!
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

I'd guess this is not your first time with the soldering iron?
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

Nice job, and great documentation! How would you rate the kit for completeness, technical documentation, assembly instructions etc.? I've been thinking about buying one of these kits.
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"
Bert ten Hove

Post by Bert ten Hove »

Well, I've explained this on the intro part of the site. My choice was a Deluxe Reverb. Than you have two options; buy an original, expensive and big chance that the amp has some problems, or buy a reissue. The reissue is not point to point wired. So, Surfing the WWW, I discovered Weber and that's how it all started.
I'd guess this is not your first time with the soldering iron?
No, I've done some projects when I was much younger, haha, but this was my first tube project.
Nice job, and great documentation! How would you rate the kit for completeness, technical documentation, assembly instructions etc.? I've been thinking about buying one of these kits.
This kit is not the easiest. Weber has a rating for difficulty of the kits. It's better to start with a Champ or something like that, according to Weber.
Than, my kit was not standerd Weber, I used different capacitors, different tubes, etc
The kit comes with no manual at all. No instructions, nothing. But, there is so much to find on the internet. The Weber Forum is a very very good forum with lots of people who are happy too help you. Much information there. Than there are lots of pictures to find. One person said that my site would be a great instructional site for first-time builders. So be it :D

I think you need some experience in electronics to built a kit. But than, with all the help you can get, and with the right tools, you should be able to built one.
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

Bert ten Hove wrote:
Well, I've explained this on the intro part of the site. My choice was a Deluxe Reverb. Than you have two options; buy an original, expensive and big chance that the amp has some problems, or buy a reissue. The reissue is not point to point wired...
The custom shop version is point to point wired.
Bert ten Hove

Post by Bert ten Hove »

The custom shop version is point to point wired.
Yes, but this is a Deluxe, not a Deluxe Reverb.
Deluxe has only one channal, no reverb and only one tonepot. I've tried one and it's sounds very well, little too much treble I think.
And this Deluxe is rather expensive: 1750 euro's (Europe) while the Deluxe Reverb RI costs 1000 euro's.
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

Ah, you are correct. I overlooked the difference.

I suspect your site will encourage some others to take the plunge.

Did you consider using a blackface faceplate?
Bert ten Hove

Post by Bert ten Hove »

Did you consider using a blackface faceplate?
First my idea was to built my own cabinet: Hardwood like bubinga with a webbing speakerfront. (Like some Mesal-Boogies have) But than, this cabinet, finished in aged tweed was only 150 euro's.
For both cabinets, I think the gold faceplate looks best. So, no I never considered a black faceplate.

If I wanted to built it as close as possible to the original, of course the face plate would be black.
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

If I recall correctly, the kit is 750 euros. Were there any other major costs beside the kit, the cabinet, and the speakers?
Bert ten Hove

Post by Bert ten Hove »

The kit costs $600 in the most simple version. That includes one 12" speaker and a cabinet.

Living in Europe, we have to pay extra shipping costs en taxes. This would add about $250.

I ordered my kit in The Netherlands, but it is a Weber kit.

Weber uses a lot of Chinese parts. Nothing wrong but there are much better options. I ordered some different parts:
Mallory caps, Heyboer OT, JJ Tubes, Switchcraft jacks (now standard on Weber kits), etc. Than I wanted a tweed cabinet and gold face- and backplates. Instead of the standard 12" Speaker, I wanted two 10" speakers, alnico's.

I paid 1010 euro's for this kit. Bought some extra stuf like a bag for the reverb tank, extra push-back wire, better RCA jacks, etc. So add about 100 euro's extra.

Than I bought a scoop, special for this built. Simple but effective scoop, costs 15 euro's. (I love the internet, haha)
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Zach Keele

Post by Zach Keele »

That looks great. I'd like to try one some time. Maybe I'll do a twin when I get the money and nerve. Very impressive.