Brooks & Dunn "Cowgirls Don't Cry"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Morse

Brooks & Dunn "Cowgirls Don't Cry"

Post by Gary Morse »

I've been asked several times recently about who played steel on the new Brooks & Dunn single "Cowgirls Don't Cry" since I record and tour with them. Thought I would post here to clear up the confusion.
The answer depends on whether or not it is the cd version or the radio "duet version" with Reba McEntire.
Paul Franklin played front to back on the cd version but we are both on the radio version. The reason for that is that we had to cut in a new key for Reba's vocal so if you hear the radio version it's Paul up until the point that Reba sings and then myself from there on out. Although that sounds pretty wild it isn't the first time this has occurred. Another example is Pam Tillis' "Maybe It Was Memphis" in which Bruce Bouton and I both played on the radio version. The cd version was over 4 minutes in length and they decided to do an edited shorter version for radio with a steel solo instead of guitar. I played the steel solo on the radio version as well as the last chorus and fade out. At least I was in great company!
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Hello Gary,We are proud of you from this neck of the woods that you once pick in with us.Sincerely your friend Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. your old drumming buddy with the I use to be in charge or head of or head supervisor of security for Fran & Bill Boyd with the Academy of Country Music in conclude with Dick Clark Productions. LJ
john widgren

Hey Gary

Post by john widgren »

Hey Gary. Great to see your post. Just wanted to say Hi and wish you well. Please contact me if you are ever up this way. I'll never forget that you gave me my first big break. You ARE the man! Warm Regards, and very best wishes, JW
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Just wanted to say HI!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Hey Gary, I heard the song on the CMA Awards! Great steel work!

Brett
Randy Gilliam

Hi Gary

Post by Randy Gilliam »

You sound great Gary, If Allen Sowersby Is Still driving The Bus Tell Him Randy Gilliam Said Hello. :D
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I wondered about that :? when listening to each version but pretty cool to split it up due to vocal requirements! Thanks for taking my wife & I backstage at Mystic Lake too :D
Roger Park

Great!

Post by Roger Park »

Hi Gary,

Great work and sound on the Dwight records, too!

Thanks
Roger
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Great work Gary! :)
I saw the Video yesterday and it's on my Christmas list! :)
Gary Morse

Merry Christmas!

Post by Gary Morse »

Hello back y'all and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!