Fender 75

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

all-original 75 or my all-original Super Twin?

29%
super twin
71%

Total votes: 7

Brett Mielke

Fender 75

Post by Brett Mielke »

Hey everybody,
Was routing around a guitar center and came upon a used '81 Fender 75 1X15 that was really intriguing. Tried the thing out with a few beautiful old guitars and it sounded fantastic, but not sure how it reacts to steel. Anybody have one? had one? Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated!
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

I swear I saw one on the forum for sale recently, but when I looked for the ad, I wasn't able to find it. I do recall someone adding a comment that although they had not been made for very long, they did sound good with a pedal steel. But, that is just hear-say. I wish I could have found that other entry on here. It a little more info than that.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Brett Mielke

Post by Brett Mielke »

crap, i wish i'd seen that...the one i'm looking at is going for 695.

hrmmm......
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Super Twin advantages:
* Twice the power
* Switchable 5-band EQ

Fender 75 advantages:
* Less weight
* Hi-Lo switch to go between 75 watts and 15 watts (very useful if you want to play guitar and steel through same amp)
* 15" speaker

If you have a Super Twin without the reverb of the Super Twin Reverb, then you gain reverb with the 75.

My vote wouldn't mean anything without knowing your needs and preferences. Probably the basic tone of the two is similar.
Jonathan Shacklock

Post by Jonathan Shacklock »

I've got a 75 – the reverb, and 15" speaker make it a killer combo for PSG. It's also one of the last point to point all tube (ss rectifier) amps Fender made. Put the master vol on full and you have tons of clean headroom. I pretty much ignore the lead channel but I'm sure there are good straight-guitar sounds in there to be discovered.

I've never played through a Super Twin so it's a bit cheeky of me to cast my vote for the 75 (I did anyway) :mrgreen: . I wouldn't want a heavier amp, I know that much.

$695 is slightly pricey but I don't think you'd regret it.
Mike Christensen

Post by Mike Christensen »

A friend of mine has a 75 but I'm sure it has a 12 in it. I have played my Bud through it a couple different times and it is a very nice sounding amp. Very heavy tho.