Foot Problems

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Simons

Foot Problems

Post by Bob Simons »

Maybe this is just my first taste of old age, but... I spent 3-4 hours Friday and the same Sunday practicing moves with pedals 4-8 (on a U-12) requiring somewhat strained foot movements from the ankle down. For days after, my left foot has been so sore above the arch that I can barely stand on it!

Has anyone suffered this sort of problem? If so, how did you treat it? What do you do to avoid these problems?

I never see much written about leg technique. Is there a trick to keep from wearing out from so much movement below the ankle?

Any advice would be appreciated! (Currently confined to lap steel!)
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

My problem is different from yours Bob,
I've just had the toe next to my big toe on my left foot amputated.
I have to wear shoes at all times while practicing my steel.
The gap between the toes causes the pedal to try to go between the toes.
My other problem is arthritis in the left ankle,
making it hard to rock the A & B pedals on E9.
I guess this is partly due to old age ad I'm struggling with this
problem a good bit.
Good luck finding a solution. I know it can be aggrivating.
Just remember,
You don�t stop playing cause you get older,
You get older cause you stop playing ! http://www.myspace.com/johnpphillips
Ron Patrick

Post by Ron Patrick »

Bob, sorry to hear about your problem with the foot . When we do things with our bodies that are not part of our daily routine,soreness in that area are not uncommon . More than likely when the soreness leaves the first time around you won't have the problem come back .If you stay sore see a doctor . Ron
Mickey Lawson

ankle

Post by Mickey Lawson »

Bob, whenever I have a sprained ankle, I use a one-piece Futuro elastic bandage (the one with the heel section removed). It supports the ankle and feels great, till the pain is gone.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

I had some arch pain for a while (and I am a fairly young guy, 30) - Larry Behm suggested I lower my pedals. That helped a lot. Then I got a nice pair of boots with a heel - the fulcrum effect of the heel combined with the stiff sole helped even more. Now the pain is gone! But if I play in tennis shoes it comes back.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've got a lot of foot neuropathy problems, caused by chemo. I've really got to work at the pedals as sometimes I can't really feel them and other times my feet feel like they are all balled up. The type of shoes doesn't seem to make any difference.

When I finished chemo in Feb of 07, the Oncologist told me it would go away in 6 months to a year. But, it never has and doing some research I've found out that 30% either have permanent or long range neuropathy problems and obviously since I still have it I'm in the 30%.
Roger Shackelton

Glucosamine Chondroitin?

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Would Glucosamine Chondroitin help or perhaps Reflexology? (foot massage)

Roger
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

I've got ongoing foot problems similar to yours, usually involving the right foot arch. My doctor blames it on gout and at it's first showing I take a prednisone (steroid anti-inflammatory). It sometimes goes away then or stays around to bug me for a few days. Other people have suggested orthotics but I'm gunshy as to the effectiveness of them.
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

Bryan, and others. Instead of wearing boots with the higher heel, just place a piece of wood, or plywood, about 5/8", or 3/4", thick where your heel is. That makes up the difference of the heel height of boots. Works very well, and by not wearing boots, you don't have the pointed toe of the boot hitting the pedal rods.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Lower the pedals as far as they will go and still do the job.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Thanks Ronnie. I actually use "Harness" boots, also known as motorcycle boots. They have a squared-off tip instead on a point. Works great! Mine are Fryes.