Moon in Alaska

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

b0b

Moon in Alaska

Post by b0b »

I was saddened to receive this email today:
Moon of Alaska, died Monday 17th of November,2008 peacefully in his sleep. He was 77 years old
played steel guitar for over 40 years in Alaska and than some. His funeral was today Friday Nov.21. 2008 in Kasilof, Alaska.
I never met Moon in person, but I always enjoyed his posts here on the forum. God bless him.

His username was "Moon in Alaska", if you want to do a search of his posts.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

BOB,,,, I to am saddened by his passing as i always enjoyed his post and his humor may GOD bless and keep him
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
John Hawkins

Moon

Post by John Hawkins »

b0b ,

Thanks for posting this ! I corresponded often with Moon and years back , he sent me a tape he played on and recorded at his home .

So sorry to hear of his passing and my sincere condolences to his family . If it is "your time" to go --Moon's way is the good way most of us wish for at the end. ( ie: in your sleep )
John
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Sad news,I visited Moon when I was looking for a Carter to try,He was a very nice guy who had worked in the oil industry forever.He would practice along with his multi-track setup most of the time,he told me that he played most of the clubs on the peninsula in his younger days,I wished that he had lived closer to me.Stu :( :( :(
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I had one of those forum/internet relationships with Moon some years ago. He was a kind, gentle soul. I'm sad to hear this.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Moon had a wonderful life but lost his wife a few years ago and has not been a regular SGF conributor since then. May God bless him and his family.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Sorry to hear that, I wondered what had happened to him.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i too am sorry to hear of Moon's passing
been a while that i missed his presence here among us
my sincere condoleances to his family
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I'll be 77 in a couple months...makes you wonder, doesn't it ?? I did some tours in Alaska when I was on the AFCS IG Team. I would always read his posts just to get a rememberance of that wonderful countryside. Godspeed, my friend !! It was apriviledge to know you.

Regards. Paul
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

Moon was a big part of this forum when it first started I will always remember his helpful an entertaining posts, he will be missed.

Jerry
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

What a loss. His stories here were incredible.
RIP Mr. Moon.
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

Oh no, he passed? I'm so sorry to hear that. One of the nicest people I ever met on the form.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Moon loved that Fender 400. He'll certainly be missed. I enjoyed all his posts. Probably more knowledgeable than given credit for.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

This is terrible news. I got worried about him last year and actually tracked down a phone number and called him from here in South Texas. We had a nice visit, but he was still quite depressed about the loss of his wife. I wonder how many of us he sent his video tape to. Does anyone have the ability to upload one to YouTube?

Click Here

Lee
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

I'm really saddened by this news.
Moon was one of the first to welcome me when I
joined the forum 8 years ago.
I'll miss him terribly.
R.I.P. Mr Moon !
:cry:
Just remember,
You don�t stop playing cause you get older,
You get older cause you stop playing ! http://www.myspace.com/johnpphillips
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Moon in Alaska added a real neat "dimension" to the forum. He will be missed around here. :( R.I.P.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Thanks for posting this bOb and a shock at that! I always enjoyed hearing from Moon and reading his posts. I often checked his web page which can be found at the link below. May God's love be felt by the family through this time. Your steel guitar family will miss you "Moon in Alaska"

http://www.geocities.com/moon9999610/alaska.html
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

In the early days of the Forum we used to email back and forth, mostly my questions to him, but he gladly answered and helped in any way he could.

It is very sad. God bless.
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

I'm sorry to hear this. When he lost his wife several years ago, he sorta dropped out of sight. I'm sorry.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Sorry to hear that we lost another good guy! I've enjoyed his posts and he was one of the first ones on this forum. Gonna miss you Buddy! Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

So sad to loose another of our family.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Sorry to hear this, I too always enjoyed his posts ..
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Stu, thanks a million for the clipping. It goes in my old scrapbook. Moon and I discussed several common interests; Fender guitar, airplanes, hunting, my trips to Alaska, etc. He was a gentle man and we pray for the family.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Fred,No problem I just wished that I could have spent more time with him he was a very cool guy.there's a funny story from one of Moon's co-workers on the oil platform that they worked on in the obit page from the newspaper.