Playing in a parade

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Erv Niehaus

Playing in a parade

Post by Erv Niehaus »

How many of you have ever played on a float in a parade? I was asked to furnish music on a float in a parade in a neighboring town yesterday. It was great fun!!! I had to go out and buy a suitcase generator in order to have something to plug into but that was ok, I needed one for emergency power for Minnesota winters anyway.
One thing I liked was that you didn't need to know too many different songs as the audience was constantly changing! If you ever get the chance to do it, try it, you'll like it! Image
Erv
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 21 July 2003 at 08:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tony LaCroix

Post by Tony LaCroix »

Erv, my first gig ever was playing guitar in the Corn on the Cob Days parade in Plainview, MN. The guy I played with only knew two songs, Jumbalaya and the Auctioneer's Song. They both had the same changes. The guy driving the truck had a jerky brake foot- I almost fell off the truck several times. I was 13 years old and they paid me $10 afterwards. Man, was I excited!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tony LaCroix on 21 July 2003 at 08:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

Erv,

It is a lot of fun. I played on a flatbed through a parade about 17 years ago. The fun part was trying to play and hold on at the same time... Image
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Yeah, many times. I had my students Guitar band on a float in Traverse City, in the National Cherry Festival Royal parade.

That was a Biggie Held for one week in July and half a million people showed up in that little town.

Joe Dolan had his accordian band on a float too. I have a picture of it somewhere. Maybe I can get Bill Moore to put it on my website.

My band "the tunetoppers" played at the Grand Hotel, in Mackinaw Island, MI and played also on a float in the Lilac Festival they had every year. These were the main biggies I remember.

That was in the '50's.We had good times playing in those days...where did the time go...al Image

------------------
[url=http://www.cmedic.net/~almarcu ... ~almarcus/ [/url]

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

^
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

^
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

this is coming up automatically. I had nothing to do with it.....bob!!!!!help!!!!al
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

^
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Man, Floats! You guys are so lucky... when I play the annual "Corn Squeezins' Festival" parade, I have to play a few notes, pick up my amp and steel and run 30 feet, play a few notes, pick up my amp and steel... and then it takes a whole day cleaning the Horse pucky off all my extension cords. I do get my picture taken with the Grits Queen, though...

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 21 July 2003 at 11:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

My bluegrass band played for a Christmas parade (first Sunday afternoon in December) on the back of a stake bed pickup. It was about 35F and windy, and we all wore brown cotton gloves with the fingertips cut out. Even with a big propane heater hid up there amongst us, that had to be the coldest my fingers have ever been. Are we going to to it again next year? Don't know -- but we probably would if they asked us, because it was a hoot!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

This float was pulled by a John Deere tractor and the driver wasn't the smoothest. I have a spring reverb in my rack unit and every once in a while, when the goin got rough, it would let out a racket. One of the kids on the float thought it sounded like someone was shooting at him!
Uff-Da!
b0b

Post by b0b »

Moved to 'Steel Players' section.