Cooped up Bud

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tim Woodall

Cooped up Bud

Post by Tim Woodall »

Just received my 6139 back from Ricky Davis after he worked his magic with John Coop's parts...this guitar had been packed away for 20 years....plays just as good as it looks....I am truly amazed...great work guys!
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
Sho-Bud 6139 Ricky Davis overhauled with Coop parts
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Well it was "My Pleasure"....and loved doing this project for you Tim.
How do you like the "hidden coil tap" feature??ah...ha....pretty cool eh??
Enjoy; and with all projects I do...you have a lifetime FREE service for any problems/tweeking/changing of anything with this "Green Monster" from me.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Tim Woodall

Post by Tim Woodall »

Thanks Ricky....the hidden switch is pretty slick...now if I can just learn some of your hot licks....
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Beautiful guitar Tim, Ricky and Coop do make a good team. Is this the switch for the coil tap? I love the tone when you flip that switch.

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

You got it Andy; that's it.
This S-10 professional...came with the Volume knob and Coil tap switch and Tone knob on the shelf.
Tim didn't want those functions; so I eliminated those pots and switch and put a chrome plug in their place. But to reserve the coil tap function(which is the only cool feature out of all that mess..ha.) I mounted it accessable there below the back apron> so without drilling a hole on the end plate...that's the way I choose to do it.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

8)
Tim Woodall

Post by Tim Woodall »

Thanks a bunch Andy.....I agree...they make a great team and I couldn't be more pleased.
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

That is gorgeous. The ONLY thing I see "wrong" is the same thing that's "wrong" with mine. The position of the knee levers on the left leg should be reversed. The LKL should be closest to the rear apron, and the LKR should be up farther under the body. The natural sitting position is what makes that make sense. As it is, you have to grab the LKL with your kneecap, and the LKR hits mid thigh. It would be MUCH more comfortable if they were reversed.
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Michael Douchette wrote:That is gorgeous. The ONLY thing I see "wrong" is the same thing that's "wrong" with mine. The position of the knee levers on the left leg should be reversed. The LKL should be closest to the rear apron, and the LKR should be up farther under the body. The natural sitting position is what makes that make sense. As it is, you have to grab the LKL with your kneecap, and the LKR hits mid thigh. It would be MUCH more comfortable if they were reversed.
Feedback like this is very constructive and helpful to those who design these parts. 8) Seems that's the way the linkage wants to work out, is the way that LKL is currently designed. What I did to help mine a little(alot, really) is when I mounted the LKL, I angled it to be more of an angle, similar to the swing of your leg. The LKL got more "comfortable" on my left leg, and LKL is easier.
Alan Miller

Post by Alan Miller »

I have always loved those green sho buds , wish I had one, especially one with the gorgeous John Coop jewelry undercarriage.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

AWESOME! A STUNNER!
Here's the one Ricky did for me, with Coop's parts. Thank you Ricky and John!

I like the color of yours better! But, then, I painted my house green. Have two green cars. And tend to wear green shirts. So, yeah, I like the color of yours better! I'm jealous!
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Michael !!! How about this COOP model ??

Bill
Brad Malone

tuning keys

Post by Brad Malone »

Hey Tim, I love your tuning keys, why doesn't every builder use that type?..they were big and tough...I don't think they make any better then the ones you have.
Brad Malone

Quality control

Post by Brad Malone »

Michael Douchette, You are correct about the knee lever placement..you should be head of the quality control dept.
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

Not to butt in, but I have to get mine in here.
2013 Brook Torridge, 2014 Martin 000-18, two homebrew Teles, Evans RE200 amp, Quilter 101R head, understanding wife of 45 years. 'Steeless' at the moment but looking......
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Here's a good way to mount that LKL. It's just personal taste. One way is not right over the other way.
Tim Woodall

Post by Tim Woodall »

Hey John,

Believe me...I have looked at your pictures of that beautiful steel many times before I sent mine to Ricky...funny...I have never cared for the color green in anything,clothes, cars, etc....but I do like this old green steel. If I had to choose between the red and green...I would take one of each. I bought this one in probably 76 or 77 maybe...the guy had hardly played it...I used it for 6 or 8 years and being a bluegrass banjo player for the most part...put it away for the last 20 years....got back in the mood last year..contacted my friend Clyde Mattocks who is my pedal steel hero from NC and he suggested me contact Ricky Davis and John Coop...glad I did
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
Tim Woodall

Post by Tim Woodall »

Bill and Skip..great looking guitars....
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
Tim Woodall

Post by Tim Woodall »

Brad,

Those keys have to be tough...they have surely taken a beating over the years....still work just fine..
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
Tim Woodall

Post by Tim Woodall »

Michael,

I hear you...maybe when I figure out what all of that stuff does....I will really understand...still trying to keep track of what does what and when to use "what"

I am use to dealing with five strings....ha ha
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Well Tim, Believe me... I'll be lookin' at your pictures of that beautiful steel many times too!
JB