Just a couple more questions...Re-Tuitional DVD..?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Hartley

Just a couple more questions...Re-Tuitional DVD..?

Post by David Hartley »

I would really appreciate your response to these questions ?

I am hiring extra camcorders to make a start on my tuitional DVD. I will be showing (hopefully), an overhead shot of the fret-board, a pedal and knee view, and a full on view in the same screen by getting these extra cameras.

I want to keep this DVD as cheap as possible for you all (as I think my CD's are), and I was wondering if I could sell them in a plastic sleeve instead of a DVD box with printing etc.

I was thinking about having the DVD itself with 4 instrumentals on (showing in detail, the way I play these instrumentals from beginning to end, and cuts to show them played through slowly explaining the lick's and Runs etc. like Mickey Adams), and a data CD too with the Tabs (in .pdf), Backing Tracks and myself playing the song through too (both the backing track and final mix of me playing the songs put on this accompanying CD as .mp3's).

Therefore, the questions I would like answered are these:-

Are you all OK about no DVD box with printed sleeve? (as this REALLY keeps the cost down to a minimun)..and..

Do you have any requests (from my youtube vids, or otherwise), that you would like instruction on, or will you leave me to choose what I think you would like?

I am literally starting recording all this tomorrow (Sunday) and into this coming week so would REALLY like your views on this before I make a start..

I KNOW you will like what I have in mind but your suggestions are very much appreciated..

PS. I know these DVD's will work on the USA systems as they are recorded multi-region with Region 1 (USA and CANADA) as priority. I have sent a few out to the USA and the persons to which I have sent them too say they work on their big screen televisions in the house and the PC too..

Many regards
and thanking you in anticipation for your answers,.

David Hartley
Malcolm Moorcroft

dvd

Post by Malcolm Moorcroft »

plastic sleeve will do very nice thankyou,
will you be using your rains hartley copedant in your dvd. ;-)
Eddie Harper

Dvd

Post by Eddie Harper »

Hi David:
Anyway you want to do it would be Great with me. It will probably be played so much it doesn't need a cover anyway..Just make sure I get one...

If at all possible, I would love to have " The Blame " Thanks for all the Great Videos....Eddie
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Orange Blossum Special, Truck Driving Man, Sensuous Woman #2, and When You Say Nothing. Dave, I don't care what you put it in as long as I get it my friend. I hope you'll use the same format (blu-ray?) as the other DVD; IMO it just don't get any better.
C. Christofferson

Post by C. Christofferson »

D, It wouldn't be necessary to show the pedals if, in the knee lvr shot, there was some tape or some other type of flag put near the top of the pedal rods, so it would be easy to see which rods were moving up and down. Might possibly save some editing hassles and/or an extra cam..? Also, if you ever considered having a full accoustic background track for a song done, re- me, I did alot of that and still can. Best of luck there.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Plastic sleeve is fine David . I love your playing and the songs you pick--Thinkin bout things was a real treat !
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

C. Christofferson wrote:It wouldn't be necessary to show the pedals if, in the knee lvr shot, there was some tape or some other type of flag put near the top of the pedal rods, so it would be easy to see which rods were moving up and down.
What a great idea that is! Why hasn't anyone thought of that before? Very clever.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

While the "flags" might seem a good idea, they wouldn't show foot positioning ("rest" and movements). The "split-screen" Bruce did on Tommy White's video does that well, IMHO, and is an excellent way to show lever/pedal movements, as well as the hands. :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CZoPTJNmiCw

:D

Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

David, Plastic sleeve will be fine. Paper too. The main thing here is to get what's on the DVD!
I would like to suggest that you try and get a player's eye view , meaning that a camera should be recording from over your right shoulder.

Just a reminder...I hope my request, The Blame, is still on the list.

thanks David
Bent
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

I'd like to see your version of "I fall to Pieces" on the DVD
Bernie Gonyea

Dave's Soon To Be DVD

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :roll:

Dave; the plastic sleeve will be fine; and I agree with many of the others, any thing you decide to do will be more than sufficient.
I also agree with Donny about the camera work on Tommy's U-Tube Pic. that would be great..thanks..Bernie :whoa: :roll: .
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Robbie Crabtree

Post by Robbie Crabtree »

Anything you do will be great David , I will buy It right away. On another note check out the song, change like the weather by Suzy Bogguss, Your Girl could sing and you could put a little more steel in it. Thanks for all of your U tubes they are Great.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

David,

The cheaper the better for me... I don't care what a package looks like.

Your playing is outstanding and I think your volume pedal work is excellent too. In one of your video's I could see a reflection on your volume pedal and I was very impressed watching you move the pedal so perfectly. I would like to see your volume pedal in the DVD. I think it's an often overlooked performance enhancer (that's sounded fancy didn't it?) :)

My ideal video would have stuff like the patterns (scales) from 1 to IV chords and V7 chords back to I chords etc... Also the pockets in which you improvise and play fills. Thanks
Brian Folks

"Tuitional DVD"

Post by Brian Folks »

Hi David...The way you package your instructional DVD would not make any difference as your teaching ability would make up for that...I know that everyone would love to have a collection of your Tuitional DVD's, me included...Thanks in advance for your dedication on your new venture...Your South Texas Friend...Brian 8) 8)
David Hartley

Hi Brian

Post by David Hartley »

Nice to hear from you. I will get it right I hope. There's been a lot of preparing for this. I have lots of gear hired for the project and have started on some work. It will take ages but I know it will be of great help to many steel players. I can't wait to see you again in March next year.

DH
Tamara James

cd are great!

Post by Tamara James »

Dear Mr. Hartley,

I admire your clean notes and excellent execution. I also appreciate your efforts to keep costs down on this project. I, however, believe the gentlemen are being very generous. I agree plastic sleeves are the way to go. I would like to suggest that you consider a very nice label on the DVD. Men are known to be graphic in nature and there is nothing wrong with that, it is just a fact. A nice attractive label will draw attention to it over and over again. I would not want your fine DVDs to gather dust in a rack of forgotten intentions. My suggestion is that what ever you might have used for a cover for a DVD box might be used as a label on the DVD instead.

I am looking forward to the completion of your project. I wish you well with it.

Sincerely,

Tammy Jaye

P.S. just my 2 cents. It’s not my intent to be disagreeable. It is only a suggestion.
Jack Mattison

dvd's

Post by Jack Mattison »

Hey David...... I am just a 1yr.[playing]newbie, but if you have not looked at Jeff Newmans "up from the top" lessons, which you probably already have. The way he did his really worked well for me to learn by. Just a thought ....... What ever you do, I will buy them. Bless ya .......... Jack<><
Little Round Mound of Sound. D-10 8/5 ShoBud "The Professional" Pevey NV400.
David Hartley

Jack

Post by David Hartley »

I would like to see that DVD?

I will have a look for it.

DH
basilh

Post by basilh »

Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Dont go cheap dave, give it the bolloux, your playing and exspertise deserve's a nice cover, you can have that, known as a consumer exspence.
Do what the big boys are doing, because you are a big boy, price it accordingly, be a buissness man dave!!
DONT SELL YOUSELF SHORT!
We are all proud of you bloke!
A.K.A Chappy.
Gordy Hall

Post by Gordy Hall »

Excessive packaging is a real sin.

Keep it simple and plain.

The lessons will speak for themselves, and more plastic in the world helps no one.
Dekley S-10, tangled fingers and feet
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

David,

I'd forget the extra cameras, keep your "out of pocket" expenses to a minimum and just use the equipment that you have now. The picture quality looks fine.

With a good customer base, you could make a new DVD every month. One benefit is that you could make the DVD's when your customers order them.

The hardest part is that you need to train your dog to put the blank DVD's in the computer, then push the record button. :lol: