Beginner and new member

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Zach Keele

Beginner and new member

Post by Zach Keele »

I'm a new member and a beginner here on the steel guitar forum. I had shoulder surgery and am stuck at home taking it easy for the next few months and decided to learn to play. I just thought I would ask advice on how I should get started. Just to hear some ideas.

I've just been messing around with it so far. Trying to get comfortable and such. I'm interested in learning both necks and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carl Vilar

Post by Carl Vilar »

Zach the way I did it was to learn both necks at the same time. There are alot of learning material out there today all good my favorites are Jeff Newman, Joe Wright, Jim Loessberg and there are others Bob sells alot of this stuff on here just click the instruction link on top of the page.
JCH 9/7
1971 Blond Twin Reverb 15" custom
Randall Steel Man 500
Frank Sprague

Post by Frank Sprague »

Welcome to the Forum from the soggy Pacific Northwest Zach !- Good luck on your new adventure - - The wide world of PSG is pretty large ,so just take it one note at a time - I know a few things that have helped me are : 1) - playing/practicing with pre-recorded music . I make my own and leave out the lead guitar or steel . . I can tell I'm making headway when I play along with a tune I haven't played with for some time . . What a difference 2) - play with some other musicians - that will get ya better real quick 3) - pay attention to these guys on the Forum - most of them have been around the block a time or two and can help you out ! Just a few suggestions Anyway - good luck and keep at it!
The only things in life I truly hate - fleas , fruit flies , and building furniture
Zeke Cory

Welcome Zach !

Post by Zeke Cory »

Zach. Welcome to the greatest place on earth for steel players. Good luck in your journey learning this instrument. It is as addicting as any musical instrument could ever be. You will soon see. Joining this steel guitar forum will also be the best decision have ever made to help in your learning process. People here go out of their way to help each other. Read everything, and spend as many hours on your guitar as you can. Start with some simple major scales up and down and go from there. Don't be surprised if you discover more by accident than on purpose. The payoff will be well worth the effort. Best Wishes. Zeke
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Welcome Zach!

I suffered a badly torn rotator cuff and a subsequent frozen shoulder as a result of that. It was almost impossible for me to use my right arm 3 years ago. Turns out, the steel was great therapy and conditioning for my entire arm.

Enjoy the steel!

Greg
Zach Keele

Post by Zach Keele »

Thanks for the replies. I've got the Winnie Winston book in the mail today, so I'm gonna get started with it and see what happens. I'm lucky to have Nashville within an hour and I've already met a couple of people on the forum who have already been helpful.

Maybe the steel will help my arm too. It's my bar arm so I can slide it back and forth a lot. I hear a frozen shoulder is tough to overcome, thankfully I'm out of that stage now.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Hey Zach,
Yes indeed, welcome to the forum, we are all delighted you are here and we are all glad to have another player joining the brotherhood.
I do not know where in Tennessee you are, but you simply must make it a point to get to Hendersonville and check out Steel Guitar Nashville and come loaded with lots of questions for Bobbe Seymour.
Wally
Zach Keele

Post by Zach Keele »

Actually, I brought my guitar down last week to get it serviced before I started learning and stopped in at Bobbe's. I met him and several others. He's a really nice guy. There were several greats in and out during the short time I was there. Cool place.

I came down Monday to pick up my guitar and hung out with Kyle Everson. I appreciate him helping me as well. I'm blessed to be close to Nashville. In Manchester about an hour southeast so I can get up there pretty often.

I'm 23, are there many young guys interested or are we a rare breed?

Anything else I need to know?
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Zach,welcome from Alabama,DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Darrell Hodges

Post by Darrell Hodges »

Welcome to the forum Zach. Im a beginner also (Started playing last December). Get a good instructor and supplement with books, tapes, and software if possible. Another great help to me was Mickey Adams on Youtube. When my instructor was under the weather I watched his beginner steel videos, stopping and rewinding, trying to copy his actions. He was a great help and still is. Last but not least, read all you can from these great payers and just overall great people on the forum...ask questions...get advice.

Good Luck
Darrell Hodges
Marke Burgstahler

Post by Marke Burgstahler »

Hiya Zach!

I'm new here too. I got a nice head start on the E9 neck with Jeff Newman's DVD courses. Mickey on YouTube is another great resource...I'm trying to learn his arrangement of "White Christmas" before my gig on Nov. 25th...yeah right.... :lol:

Welcome! You'll dig it here - I sure do.
"It Don't Mean A Thing If It Aint' Got That Swing"