Central Kentucky Steel Guitar Classic Show

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Richard Douthitt

Central Kentucky Steel Guitar Classic Show

Post by Richard Douthitt »

Enjoyed the show Al but it was a real blessing to see Bobbe Seymour playing again!
ImageRichard "Wichita" Douthitt
--------
Derby D10 8&5, Nashville 112, Fender Twins, Custom Telecasters. Genz Benz Tubeworks custom amps, Seymour Duncans, Peterson Tuners, and Core One Cables
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

It was a great blessing to be able to play, at all, much less this show! It was a little painful, but the person that was suprised the most was ME!
I played so well I'm going to chop it up again next year! (NOT) Yep, very hard to do some slants, but I'm practicing!

I was so enthrolled by watching all the truly great players on this show, this was the only show ever that I watched everyone from beginning to end, both days! What a wonderful line up! I missed no one, and loved them all.

The sound was the best I'd EVER heard (seen), the stage amps were perfect, the stage crew was more than helpful. Rooms and parking were the best ever, and Al Vanderpool was a teriffic event coordinator!

Many of us players got together and discused these points and agreed that everything was as perfect as possible, (but my bed was a little to firm, :whoa: :( :lol: )

Al invited me next year and said I could leave my stuff set up if I wanted to, (he must have seen how busy I wasn't!)

All of you that missed this one should be ashamed, even Scotty and Mary were there!

Thank you so very much for this thread Richard Douthitt! I appreciate your comment about me also.

Bobbe Seymour
Jeremiah Hanley

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

Bobbe,
We're so glad you're able to play again. That's great! We appreciate getting to use your songs on steelradio.com on our Sunday afternoon gospel program. We really enjoy your playing!
Ron Elliott

Thanks to all !

Post by Ron Elliott »

We enjoyed the show so much. Many thanks to Al and his wonderful staff for all their help. Musicians were a real gass. Al, a special thanks for the invitation to play the show again. It was so good to see all the guys and gals again. That Kentucky hospitalaity is absolutely top notch. Thanks again !
Ron & Leslie
winston

Post by winston »

Bobbe
Please! Don't embarrass me. Thanks for the compliment. Winston May
Herby Wallace

Lexington Show

Post by Herby Wallace »

I must add that this show was first class in every way. I been fortunate by being able to play every show since this one started back in the eighties and this just may very well be the best one yet. Al Vanderpool did a fantastic job. The new hotel was excellent. The band outdid themselves. They played all the right chord changes and tempos on every song I did. This, of course, means a lot and is especially important after my stroke as it makes it even harder to play when the tempos and chord changes are not played right. Next, I must comment about the sound. I have known Winston May for many years and the sound this past weekend was excellent and some of the best I have heard in a long time at a steel guitar show. You really did a good job Winston. Believe me, when the sound and the band is right, it makes everything so much better for the steel players and me personally.

Last, I must mention my friend, Bobbe Seymour. It was a true blessing to hear him play after his accident. I honestly couldn't believe my ears!

Those that didn't attend this show really missed a good one. I am already looking forward to next year.

Herby Wallace
winston

Post by winston »

Thank you Herby. Our job is easy when there are first class players like you on stage. Winston May
Curt Eversole

Post by Curt Eversole »

Guys
If you missed this one, you missed a killer show.
Bobby, Herby I sure didn't hear any handy cap playing from where i sat.
Al, I was so impressed with the show that i went ahead and booked my room for next year before i left Lexington.
What can i say good about Winston Hmmmmmmmmmm he sure aint got no prettier, maybe he's got to where he can whistle in tune,,,,maybe
Just kidding winston, the sound was the best it's ever been. looking forward to next year.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

:lol: Ha!, I've known Winston for many-a-year! First class, a great guy you are Winston, and Herby was proving without a doubt that he is still the monster player that we have all grown accustom to hearing.
Sonny Curtis, Audie McQuarie, Chuck Rich, Kenny Holycross, Russel Hicks, Ron Elliot, Joe Wright to only name a few of the guys that did a killer show, I mean everybody was playing astoundingly well. Yes Scotty, YOU TOO!
Must have been the good sound that made us all play so well!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whoa:

Bobbster
winston

Post by winston »

You guys are embarrassing me to death :x
winston

Post by winston »

If anyone lost a railroad spike at the show I found one in my jacket pocket. I wonder if Ken Rollins knows anything about that.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

winston wrote:If anyone lost a railroad spike at the show I found one in my jacket pocket. I wonder if Ken Rollins knows anything about that.
Winston, I think you need to look up or recall the words to Hag's "I've Done It All". My guess is that the spike is just another of the compliments you've been receiving here. Good story, anyway... Great job!

What a day Saturday was. How blessed we all are to be able to take time out and go to these shows where we get to hear some of the finest musicians on earth. The dedication these players have for their craft is astounding, to say the least. In some cases it's beyond that, when the player is knocked astride by and accident or ailment, only to have the fortitude to fight back.

You can't watch Joe Wright or Kayton Roberts and not be thoroughly entertained by the humor accompanying world-class steel guitar playing.

Thanks to everyone involved putting on such a great show year after year.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Bob Callaway

Post by Bob Callaway »

A truly great show. The players, backup band and sound was fantastic! It was truly wonderful to see Bobbe Seymour, Herbie Wallace, Boogie Sherrard play as if they were 100% healed. Thank you GOD for all thy blessings.Bob
Derby D10 Serial No.8 - Derby 10 String Lap Steel
pair Nashville 112s
President of Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway
Don E. Curtis

Great time!

Post by Don E. Curtis »

I know I sure had a great time, Friday night playing with Scotty and I thought my set went well on Saturday. Wish we didn't have to rush out so quick but things do and people to see. Thanks to the band and Al, the hotel was good, but huge, almost like a maze...hope to see y'all next year.
Don E.
winston

Post by winston »

Don Curtis and others
Here is some nice news coverage of the event.

http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/2008/1 ... r-classic/
DeWitt Scott

Lexington

Post by DeWitt Scott »

Like all the other players that were on the show I share their praises for the sound. I didn't use the drummer for my set on Saturday. No disrespect in any way - it is just that the songs I play did not have a drummer on the original recordings. I really liked it and am thinking about not using a drummer on any of the shows that I will play in the future. I did use the drummer on Beer Barrel Polka as the tune would not have been the same without the drummer.

Everyone knows that I always leave for St. Louis shortly after I play on Saturday. Both Mary and I leave so much work at home we must get back as soon as possible. I apologize having the take Don home with us as I'm sure he would have stayed to the end.

Thanks to Al for inviting us to the show each year. I think I may have only missed 2 or possible 3 shows since the beginning. Scotty
Eli Hall

Post by Eli Hall »

Hey Winston, thanks for posting that link to the Lexington Herald...I was wondering what that guy was doing with all those cameras and that little slide show turned out real nice.