About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Phillip Tinnin

Post by Phillip Tinnin »

Hi I'm Phillip Tinnin i am new to the forum as well as to the pedal steel i'm finding it very hard to learn but i love the steel so i keep trying i'm really having a time tuning the guitar.
Brick Spieth

Post by Brick Spieth »

Newbie to newbie, two words: Strobo Flip

Tuning will get a bunch easier with one of these tuners.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Phillip,from Alabama,If I can ever help you in any way let me know.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

This is a hard instrument to learn on your own. Find a teacher and get a lesson or two. Contact some of these guys who are nearby and see if any of them will help you get started...

http://www.onlinesteelers.com/stateslis ... nStates=OK
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

hi Phillip! welcome to the forum! this place has a great wealth of information and there are alot of great people happy and willing to help those of us learning the pedal steel :)
Jack Mattison

hard to learn

Post by Jack Mattison »

Hey Phil ....... Like Donny said, this is a hard instrument to learn. I have only been at it for about a year, and things are just now comming together. [sort of :) ]. I live in the Seattle area and what few steel players are around would like to teach me one on one but there are time constraints and millage factors. So I learn from good home study courses like "Jeff Newmans" Up From The Top series. Plus there is a wealth of information I have recieved from the guys on this forum that really know what they are doing and have been doing it for years. They are all ready to help, and give of there expertise. But as Jeff Newman said "Practise, practise,practise. And have fun with it. Like Duane Becker told me........ "Keep Picking"
Little Round Mound of Sound. D-10 8/5 ShoBud "The Professional" Pevey NV400.
Phillip Tinnin

Playing

Post by Phillip Tinnin »

Thank You all For The Encouragement i needed that Phil
Brick Spieth

Post by Brick Spieth »

I agree about the good teacher part. And the practice practice practice part. I guess I'm four months in now, and every once in a while, I actually play something that sounds ok and that keeps me going.
Scott Kamp

Post by Scott Kamp »

Check with Fran Newman. Look under Jeff Newman on the internet. His cd's, dvd's, etc. will take you from beginner to advanced. He was a great teacher.