Any recommends for a steel tech in L.A.?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Julian Goldwhite

Any recommends for a steel tech in L.A.?

Post by Julian Goldwhite »

Hi all!

I'm a newcomer on the board and to the pedal steel, though I have been playing lap guitar for a long time. I acquired an old S10 Sho-Bud 3x3 that needs a little TLC. Wondering if there is anyone local to the Los Angeles area, or do I ship it out, and if so who would suggest for going over an old Bud?

I'm sure the question has been asked before, so I appreciate your indulgence with a newcomer.

Thanks and all the best,

Julian
Jerry Malvern

Post by Jerry Malvern »

Blackie Taylor in Riverside might be able to. His phone number is 951 686 4010
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Chris Allen Burke in Long Beach, or Jim Palenscar in Oceanside are the go-to guys here in LA.
They're both on the Forum, so they should be easy to find.
Last edited by Skip Edwards on 17 Oct 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Elder

(Skip's reply wasn't up when I started writing this opus...)

Post by Ben Elder »

Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitars of North County (Oceanside/SD County) is great.
Chris Allen Burke is in the Signal Hll/Long Beach area and is very knowledgeable about Sho-Buds. Jim and Chris are both Forum members so you can probably find them through this site. I'm pretty sure (without navigating away from what I'm writing here) that SGNC would be listed on the Forum's "Links" page. (760) 754-2120 in any case. (I didn't have to look that up. I now know it better than my social security number.)
"Gopher, Everett?"
Julian Goldwhite

Post by Julian Goldwhite »

Thanks for the speedy responses! You guys are awesome!

Best,

Julian
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Julian, I'd go with Blackie Taylor in Riverside! He's been doing it for over fifty years and is a master at the craft of repairing or reworking steels. It doesn't matter what brand, he's an expert and was a ShoBud dealer for more years than anyone else I'd say.........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Marc DiLorenzo

Post by Marc DiLorenzo »

Hey all! With Blackie and Chris both sadly leaving us, I wanted to re-pose this question to the group...anyone know of any techs in LA that can do set-ups on a pedal steel? I'm definitely aware of Steel Guitars of North County in Oceanside, just looking for additional options that are a bit closer to home. Thanks!
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

I've done work on a number of steels, both pedal and non pedal. In Porter Ranch (San Fernando Valley).
Michael Brebes
Instrument/amp/ pickup repair
MSA D10 Classic/Rickenbacher B6/
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Mike Brebes is one of the most brilliant people I've ever met. He is a wizard who seems to excel at everything he touches. Among other things, he authored the Curly Chalker DVD and the Reece Anderson retrospective CDS. And he's also a KILLER guitar player.

I've never seen him work on a pedal steel guitar, but I bet he would do a fine job.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
John Goux

Post by John Goux »

I can vouch for Mike as an amp tech, and he has changed pickups on a few of my steels. All with good results.
John