Sho-bud

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Look at Remi's guitar. Compare it to mine, and compare it to slightly later guitars. Mine is primitive, and has no rack return springs. Doesn't work for s--- without them! I had to order some from Coop, drill holes in the racks and the body to install them. Remi's guitar has the rack return springs on a rod! Bushings with set screws and springs to return the racks to neutral. First time I've seen this. Cool! Shows the evolution of the design.
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

LDG here.
Sho-Bud LDG, Gretsch Syncromatic Lap Steel, Fender Steel King amp, Bach Stradivarious 37 Trumpet, Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn, 68 Fender Precision Bass
Benton Allen

Post by Benton Allen »

John,

That is a nice way to employ return springs on a rack and barrel system. It's the first time I've seen it utilized. Looks like it makes for a neat installation. maybe you could try it on yours?

Benton
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Benton, too late for me! I've already drilled the racks and installed the return springs between the racks and the shelf. Wish I'd seen Remi's guitar sooner. It's obviously the next iteration after mine. An elegant, and simple solution. Just use a finger that has no pulls on it to install the return springs. I restored my guitar, and tried to set it up. But the barrels were touching the racks all the time. It was impossible to tune more than one pull per string. It's an interesting look into the evolution of Shobud's design, ain't it?
Last edited by John Billings on 9 Oct 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remi Villeneuve

Post by Remi Villeneuve »

Hi guys...

Didn't know what that spring/rod (it's clever though) was about... I have to admit that I was wondering why was it there and also why mine hasn't got the usual return spring I see on most of RnB system.

Mine has a wonderful tone, I play it through a SF Deluxe Reverb. The pickup is becoming more and more sensitive to mechanical parts so I just ordered a TT-10 from Jerry Wallace. Thanks to the forum for all that information. I am now a part of it !! Pretty neat.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Here is my only non-Fender pedal steel.

A nice red late model Pro-I, that I puchased off the forum here a few years ago.

Barry Gaskell

Post by Barry Gaskell »

Hi Guys
Here's my Super-Pro I've just got. I've had a Pro 1 and two Pro III customs, and I just love those buds you guys have. Unbelievable maple bodies.
Every one had it's shortcomings, but you always somehow forgave it.
Cheers
Barry
Trevor Fagan

Post by Trevor Fagan »

Still got my old 1970's Maverick .... my very first "true love"!
'73 Sho~Bud Pro II, '71 Emmons D-10, '75 Sho~Bud Maverick, Guyatone D-8, Session 500, Nashville 112, Sennheiser e609
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Shobuds are NOT steel guitars--they are living, breathing creatures that have feelings and can sing.

Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

I have played several brands of steel guitars over the years, but have played Sho~Bud's more than anything else. Currently playing an L.D.G., which is most likely around a 1975 model. Super tone and sustain, just like one would expect from an L.D.G.
Ben Elder

He sees an opening for another opportunistic plug and...

Post by Ben Elder »

No pics of mine (6139, blonde 3+1 circa 1969) right now--it's on six-month loanout here:

http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/inde ... &Itemid=41
"Gopher, Everett?"
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Here's my red '78 Pro-1 purchased from Seymour about 25 years ago. Gigged with this guitar 2 weeks ago and she still plays like a dream:

Here's a You-Tube with me playing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX_n9nboWlI

Nick
Last edited by Nick Reed on 10 Oct 2008 12:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Oh lookie what I found. My very first steel, a Sho-Bud Maverick.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Hey Nick, Cool pic!! Those raised neck mavs were pretty cool. 8)
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Bill Mayville said:
Richard said that is not his regular guitar.
I would like to see a picture of the other guitar .because the Sho Bud is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen.
For the last 9 years I played the Carter in the following pic (still do on occasion). I just got the Williams 600. Both these guitars have 9 pedals and 9 knees which the Sho~Bud doesn't have. It has 8 pedals and 4 knees. With the rack and barrel undercarriage, I can not get my copedent to work. But, it is a very sweet guitar. I recently got it to use with a classic country band I occasionally play with (I actually bought it because I always wanted a Professional and this one being blue was too good to pass up).

My Carter (Shown with only 8 pedals. #9 was added after this pic was taken):

My Williams:

Boy my Camera sucks :(
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Couldn't tell by me. Nice sharp focus, well-lit . . . backdrop might have been considered a bit further, however.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Actually, the Willy pics did turn out OK. I made the camera comment before I saw how they posted. The Carter was taken with the same camera 9 years ago. I took the Willy pics on a moments notice to post in this thread. I would have preferred a different backdrop, but this was the only place I had room to take the pic without rearranging my apartment.
Joe Minor

Post by Joe Minor »

I got this as a re built Marrs Surrat. I think it was one of the last jobs Duane was able to do. I really like it but I dont like to take it to most places I play.
Joe Minor

Post by Joe Minor »

another pro 3
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

My Black D-10 Super Pro looks real good in the dark

DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

Here's mine. :D

Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Joe Minor wrote:I got this as a re built Marrs Surrat. I think it was one of the last jobs Duane was able to do. I really like it but I dont like to take it to most places I play.
Awsome joe!